Watch Freeks banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you guys know I own a vintage Seiko 6105-8000 from 1968, an early "proof/proof" model. I love the watch and I've always wanted an original 6105-8110. These watches in the condition I'd prefer can fetch $3-4K these days.

So I've been tempted by the several "homages" over the years but, these usually get many details wrong, the case shape isn't quite right, the crown lacks the "lock" text… more on that later. Also the bezels lack the proper coin edge and notched treatment underneath - as well as other details, plus the lug width is modernized to 20mm. Yes I should welcome 20mm over 19mm but I don't, I'd prefer the true dimensions of the original.

Anyway I’ve bought a watch that gets most of these details right and not all. I'm not sure the "chocolate bar" strap was ever originally supplied on these but it's certainly correct to the period. So it's a copy, a fake, an homage, pick one… I'll be having a closer look soon.

Behold:

Watch Analog watch Photograph Light Gesture

·
Super Moderator
18,323 Posts
A beauty Eric, not to mention one heck of an homage ! :D:cool:

Seriously, that great little emblem looks sleek, doesn't take up
much room, or steal the thunder from the rest of those classic
details. Plus lets you know that this is a modern day version of
Seiko's creation sir. ;) ..One that looks from this side of the
screen, as if it does a wonderful job in paying tribute Seiko’s
Captain Willard Eric.

I mean the case shape looks right on, as well as looks to have
a really nice brushing on it. And the dial look as hypnotic as they
are supposed to. ..As does the bezel, along with this crazy cool
chocolate bar strap !

All in all you must be so happy with this one E. :) It really seems
to have. much of the same magic as the original. On top of that, I
bet it even cost similar to what the original cost back in the day.
Which is much easier on the wallet than what Captain Willard is
today. 😲 Wow, I didn't even realize that sir. Thanks so very much
for the lesson, as well as looks as this brand new arrival !!!

Yes, really hope you enjoy it !

·
Super Moderator
18,323 Posts
Thanks Tom. And I wasn’t very clear, I’ve purchased the watch but it has not arrived, I snagged a web pic. Probably a couple of weeks until I see it. Looking forward to that.
You got it Eric. 😉

And even though it may not be there yet, I’m thinking it’s a safe bet
that you will be happy with it sir. (y)(y) I just have a good feeling. 🙂

·
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The watch arrived today. It took 8 days to get here from China, which is faster than I expected having not sprung for expedited shipping.

Here are some initial shots, I won't bore you with the unboxing. Plus a little comparison to a sterile dial "Willard" offering from Tandorio, more comparable to the Steeldive Willard models.
This watch has the true case shape of the original, most obvious is around the crown, where all the other "homages" I've seen get this area wrong, this has the thinner taper on the upper side of the crown where the case flares out. Also the case is thinner and more expertly tapered like the original. The bezel detail is much more accurate as well, check out the photos. The less desirable but more accurate steel bezel insert is in place as well as the locking crown with "LOCK" text and arrow. The latter is one of a couple of details that are different than the original, the arrow points in the correct direction for this screw down crown.

Some initial shots:

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Material property

Watch Analog watch Clock Font Material property

Gesture Finger Thumb Office equipment Space bar

Tandorio:

Watch Finger Clock Watch accessory Wrist

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Material property

The lume pip is also correct as well as the crystal's edge beveling and the aforementioned 19mm lug width.

Although powered by, it's not made by Seiko, still, a beautifully finished watch faithful to the original. Lume is fantastic as well, can't yet attest to its longevity.

·
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's a general look at how it sits on the (in this case my 7-3/8") wrist:

Watch Clock Finger Watch accessory Elbow

Natural material Watch Pre-engagement ring Jewellery Wedding ceremony supply

Watch Hand Arm Analog watch Leg

Forgot to mention the watch was $197 shipped. I can honestly say, every time I look down my arm at this thing it reads as a far, far more expensive watch. Just apply a "Seiko" emblem and you've got a $2500 watch. Which is sort of sad but another topic.

·
Super Moderator
18,323 Posts
Oh man, this looks outstanding Eric ! 😲😵 Both in your comparison
shots, as well on your wrist. 😎 I know the 8 days must have felt like
8 weeks, but yowzers, it was certainly worth the wait.

It's amazing how nice these homages have become to tell the truth.
Because it sounds like this Retangula in many respects comes very
close, or at least the closest to the vintage classic itself. And speaking
of the original, I would like to thank you for all of the insight on all of
the little details of the original by the way. 😉Because to be honest,
I don't think I knew about all of the various curves, lines, turns, and
tapering on the original. It makes me appreciate not only the original,
but new homages like these sir.

What's neat is I think so many people love the original, however will
never get one. ..And this rockin Retangula offers music to the ears
from the astonishing case, and dial, to awesome strap, and even
beveled crystal ! 😀Sending off a COLOSSAL congrats here 2 U E !!!

·
6,766 Posts
Another comparison… my wife and kids are in Monterey for a couple of days 🙂 Those who own a vintage 6105-8000/8110 know that the date window isn't just a "chrome" rectangle, but a subtly rounded affair:

View attachment 144009

View attachment 144010
Very, very nice my friend! And quite the find. The eBay price seems very reasonable as well. I like it very much!

Reactions: Artemis12

·
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very, very nice my friend! And quite the find. The eBay price seems very reasonable as well. I like it very much!
Thanks Frans, yeah it’s a steal. Looks/feels like several hundred more. They really nailed the important details. Other than the text and logo, the dial/markers/hands are all dead ringers for my old 6105.

·
Watch Freek
983 Posts
Wow enricosonic!!!!!! I've been lusting after a mint 6105-8110 from the first day I come across them a few years ago. I was lucky enough to pick up a rather well used one a few years back, and it's one of my favorites. So, as soon as I saw your wrist shot, I was completely convinced you had found a nos 8110🥳🥳🤩🤩🥰🤩🥵🥰 after looking at them for years, your eyes notice the finer details, and this one is just beautiful in every way, fantastic find, and thank you for sharing 🔥🔥🔥🔥

·
6,766 Posts
Thanks Frans, yeah it’s a steal. Looks/feels like several hundred more. They really nailed the important details. Other than the text and logo, the dial/markers/hands are all dead ringers for my old 6105.

And now I want one...

·
6,766 Posts
This may well be my next purchase...... (After the one that is incoming :)).

·
Super Moderator
18,323 Posts
Eric, that ultra cool still could be blown up and made into a great big
picture you could put on the wall ! 😲:cool: It would be amazing, not to
mention a really neat conversation piece. :) And who knows, maybe
you could get the person, or people you were talking to to interested
in Watches. :D

That’s some el electric lume, for one exceptional watch. Can’t thank
you enough for sharing this with us !!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts