Watch Freeks banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about replacing the hands on this watch. I'm so blind, I can hardly see them even with my reading glasses on. What are your opinions on replacing the stock hands, does it take away from the value of the watch, should I just sell it ?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Depends on the watch. If it's worth more than a few hundred dollars I would probably not swap hands, sell it and get something else.

Professional Expert

·
Registered
941 Posts
If you can't see the hands it seems to me that it would be harder to see the hour markers. So I would not bother to replace them on this watch but get a black dialed watch with some white luminous hands.

Plenty of options.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
ImmerUhr,
In my opinion, for what its worth, replacing the hands isnt tough at all. And it could help POSSIBLY, with your sight issues with it. I wouldnt sell it just because the hands arent easy to read.
The glycine is a very nice watch, if the hands were changed out, just keep ahold of the original hands. Have them re attached if you ever should want to sell it as original. You very well could sell the watch with the new hands on it, and include the original hands in the sale, and still command a decent resale price for it.
What i think your watch needs is a wider set of hands in black or red. You certainly dont want a light color that gets lost in the dial's color. The sword hands that are on there are fairly thin, and dont have a presence .A decent set of new hands for it would likely cost between 15 and 30 dollars. And they have tons of different width hands to make it easy to see.
As i said, id get the hands in a dark red or a flat black. If you want lume in them still, the larger hands will naturally have a larger lume area. Which will be easier for you to see at night. You could even change the seconds hand with a bigger seconds hand, or even a "meatball" style with the round pip on its end.
Call it an excuse to make yourself a neat custom watch thats suited just for you. If that Glycine has a ETA 2836 , it will be super easy to find hands for it. On ebay there are thousands of custom hand sets for ETA movements , like broadsword style, Seiko diver type, or even the popular "snowflake". Do a little search and find one that suits your fancy.
And any decent watch shop would do the hand swap for a little less than 100 dollars. I would do it for you for much less than that , as you are a fellow watchfreek. Just let me know if you need help with it.
Rod

1 - 5 of 5 Posts