Watch Freeks banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have been wearing dive watches since I was 16 years old. (Before that, I work a Casio calculator watch for 2 years, but I'll never admit to that) I've never scratched the crystal, ever, and I have always worked hard. So after all these years I discovered the Ecozilla. I consider this watch to be the watch I'll wear the rest of my life. I'm actually buying a spare... but the point of this post is, of course, naturally..... I scratched the damn crystal. :smile-thumb:

Where can I buy a replacement crystal for it, a real sapphire is possible, without spending a lot of money, and what size? I saw a site call Esslinger but there isn't a "Citizen EcoZilla" purchase option.

Thanks for any tips.
Anthony

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
No experience with this, but I saw this listing on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sapphirecry...la-BJ8050-08E-or-BJ8040-01E-NEW-/130874069726

I personally would have citizen replace it with an OEM crystal and pressure test it. I would never trust an aftermarket crystal to the specs that Citizen built that watch for.
Also, with as tall as the rotating bezel sits on the Ecozilla, I am amazed you were able to scratch the original crystal.

Here is a pic of my old Eco on mesh just because threads need pics :)

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
I read somewhere, that Citizen will not replace the crystal with sapphire unless that watch actually came with it in the first place. If the model came with mineral, then they won't do it.
Not sure if they changed that policy.

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
I read somewhere, that Citizen will not replace the crystal with sapphire unless that watch actually came with it in the first place. If the model came with mineral, then they won't do it.
Not sure if they changed that policy.
They will only put the original replacement part on, if you want an aftermarket crystal, you would need to find another watch repair shop willing to do it.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
They will only put the original replacement part on, if you want an aftermarket crystal, you would need to find another watch repair shop willing to do it.
Exactly, so if you want to change your mineral to a sapphire, they won't do it.

Reactions: ganson

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hmm...I had Citizen in Torrence, CA replace the mineral with sapphire for $55 (plus shipping) some years ago ....it was on my Skyhawk AT (which I no longer own). But that is IF they actually carry sapphire for this model.

Call CS and they'll tell ya. I recall it took like 2.5 weeks or something like that to get the watch back. Defintitely adds in the resale value as I was able to sell it for almost as much as I bought it in grey market.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wow that's a darn good price for a sapphire crystal swap! I have a Navihawk coming in soon and I wonder if they have sapphire available for that model.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I moved my arm up and it gently and smoothly went perfectly onto the underside corner of my granite countertop. Didn't hit the bezel or anything else. Nothing but crystal. I'll call Citizen in the morning. Probably going to cost me $100 bucks...

·
Banned
754 Posts
If you're Facebook, search for Rick Hoover and his Current Time Watch Works page. I've seen him make a lot of us happy. He fixed two watches of mine, engine and crown issues but I see him do crystal swaps all the time. From Mineral to Sapphire all the time in a couple groups I belong to. He has all the sources and his turnaround time is ridiculous. Both my watches were back with me just one week since all parts arrived to him. He even did a video for me of the process, that I didn't expect nor request. Top Notch watch doctor/wizard :)

Reactions: tinknocker

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
If you're Facebook, search for Rick Hoover and his Current Time Watch Works page. I've seen him make a lot of us happy. He fixed two watches of mine, engine and crown issues but I see him do crystal swaps all the time. From Mineral to Sapphire all the time in a couple groups I belong to. He has all the sources and his turnaround time is ridiculous. Both my watches were back with me just one week since all parts arrived to him. He even did a video for me of the process, that I didn't expect nor request. Top Notch watch doctor/wizard :)
Very good recommendation. He worked on a vintage PW and a vintage wrist watch of mine. Excellent work and you don't have to wait months like some places.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts