Watch Freeks banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking for one these for a while. I owned one in the 70s, and when it arrived it was meeting up with an old friend. Timex oversized hand wind, made in 1975. This one is close to mint, and working well. It comes in at 43mm, although still has an 18mm lug width. Watches of that day were normally around 38mm.

Super Moderator
Is that cool?! Or what Mrs. Wiggles?!! 馃槑(y) Can see why you have
been after one of these, and it has to be just THE best returning one
back to the collection.

Really must be like seeing an old friend again ! Can't get enough of
the UFO-like case, but then mix of fantastic angles, and finishes. 馃憖
It has such a beautiful dial too with the sunray effect, and extra cool
markers, and hands also ! ..What a find MW !

Enjoy, and BIG congrats !!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Is that cool?! Or what Mrs. Wiggles?!! 馃槑(y) Can see why you have
been after one of these, and it has to be just THE best returning one
back to the collection.

Really must be like seeing an old friend again ! Can't get enough of
the UFO-like case, but then mix of fantastic angles, and finishes. 馃憖
It has such a beautiful dial too with the sunray effect, and extra cool
markers, and hands also ! ..What a find MW !

Enjoy, and BIG congrats !!!
Update. Whilst the second hand is moving freely, the minute hand moves one minute in ten. Damn, it's going back :cautious:

Super Moderator
Update. Whilst the second hand is moving freely, the minute hand moves one minute in ten. Damn, it's going back :cautious:
That is disappointing Mrs. Wiggles, but sounds like it is for the
best. You don't know how much something like that might cost
to get repaired. (y) You are making the right choice. ..Sorry
about it though.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
That is disappointing Mrs. Wiggles, but sounds like it is for the
best. You don't know how much something like that might cost
to get repaired. (y) You are making the right choice. ..Sorry
about it though.
With the money I am getting back I just won this on eBay. The watch is 40mm and even has sapphire crystal and ceramic bezel. Don't know if I am keeping it yet, but brand new for 拢12.50 ($15) can't be bad

Super Moderator
With the money I am getting back I just won this on eBay. The watch is 40mm and even has sapphire crystal and ceramic bezel. Don't know if I am keeping it yet, but brand new for 拢12.50 ($15) can't be bad
View attachment 129266
Oh wow, how can you go wrong with that MW?!

Seriously looks amazing with the sterile dial, as well as terrific
looking strap it has on it. Very nice ! 馃檪 Actually, the strap alone
looks like it should be $15. Some incredible bang for the buck
looks to be on the way to you !

Registered
View attachment 129266
The watch pictured was $15? With ceramic bezel insert and sapphire crystal... I'm imagining child slavery or a team of trained chimpanzees at this point. Please don't tell me it's an automatic.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
The watch pictured was $15? With ceramic bezel insert and sapphire crystal... I'm imagining child slavery or a team of trained chimpanzees at this point. Please don't tell me it's an automatic.
Yep, it's probably a Seagull movement, which is an ETA clone. I have had this movement in a few watches, and it has proven to be quite accurate and very reliable. Oh, it's also made with a 316L stainless steel, and believe it or not the finishing is excellent. I would very much suspect the watch will be made using child labour, but if you take the labour away from the child, mum and dad will probably starve. It's not a nice world we live in. Anyway, when it arrives it will be going straight on eBay for 拢59.

Registered
Yep, it's probably a Seagull movement, which is an ETA clone. I have had this movement in a few watches, and it has proven to be quite accurate and very reliable. Oh, it's also made with a 316L stainless steel, and believe it or not the finishing is excellent. I would very much suspect the watch will be made using child labour, but if you take the labour away from the child, mum and dad will probably starve. It's not a nice world we live in. Anyway, when it arrives it will be going straight on eBay for 拢59.
I too have been impressed with the Seagull movements, they're even nice to look at.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
I too have been impressed with the Seagull movements, they're even nice to look at.
Well my 拢12.50 watch arrived today. It's crazy, the strap is worth what I paid for the watch. Not only has the bezel got a ceramic inlay, it moves and feels like a bezel off of a luxury brand watch, with no back play at all. It hacks and hand winds, and up to now is keeping good time. I have tested the crystal, and it shows up at one bar, which indicates it's probably sapphire coated mineral.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts