Watch Freeks banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
De ville, Pelagos, Tangente, Tradition, ( and a bunch of Seikos).
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on the verge of getting 1 spd loss on face up position. But after numerous attempts got close and may have tangled the balance spring. With a generic magnifying glass I am unable to see the extent of tangling. However the time graphing app is reading beat error at 17 ms and seconds are 2000+, the lever for regulation is dead on centre, and no matter how hard I make miniscule movements on the other lever for beat error correction it plays in between 15 to 17+ ms. I doubt until I dismantle the bridge, I may not be able to correct the spring.
Computer Personal computer Peripheral Computer keyboard Input device

·
Aspiring Expert
2,053 Posts
If you bent the hairspring even just slightly that will be something only a very skilled matchmaker could straighten out using a stereo microscope, and if it is "tangled" as you put it, it will need to be replaced...

Sorry... :cry:

A while back I bought a batch of miss used hairspring to practice with straightening bends out using a stereo microscope and even with all the needed tools, it is very difficult to do... :eek:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you bent the hairspring even just slightly that will be something only a very skilled matchmaker could straighten out using a stereo microscope, and if it is "tangled" as you put it, it will need to be replaced...

Sorry... :cry:

A while back I bought a batch of miss used hairspring to practice with straightening bends out using a stereo microscope and even with all the needed tools, it is very difficult to do... :eek:

Thank you, such is the case each time I open any watch case. I've destroyed a de ville, a Seiko, a RW Geneve, this Invicta and a number of Chinese movements. No matter how hard I try, I can't work anywhere close to an intermediate trained watch technician. All my tools are wasted.

·
Oris Freek
3,876 Posts
Thank you, such is the case each time I open any watch case. I've destroyed a de ville, a Seiko, a RW Geneve, this Invicta and a number of Chinese movements. No matter how hard I try, I can't work anywhere close to an intermediate trained watch technician. All my tools are wasted.
Lawyer, you need to learn to quit while you're ahead. If you get a mechanical watch anywhere near +/- 1 sec/day. It's time to button it up and leave it alone. If you don't have an excellent pair of illuminated magnifying glasses. That's the first thing you need. Frees up both hands. One for holding your preferred regulator mover, the other for maneuvering the watch into position which should be in a watch stand/holder.
I cannot stress that patience is your best friend here. Every time you go in there to move the regulator, you're taking a chance of making contact with the hairspring which as you know, almost always ends in tears.
I would suggest you practice on some of your mistakes. (old watches)
Above all, remember, it's a mechanical watch. They tend to change specs in different temperatures, humidity, dial position etc. I always like mine to run fast rather than slow. So, I shoot for +0 to +10 sec/day. When I get there. I call it a day.
You're never going to get it perfect, so don't try. Good luck. :)

·
Super Moderator
14,621 Posts
Yes, sorry to hear about this LA. 🙁😔

I don’t even think I would know where to start with
attempting to fiddle with a watch. So honestly, even
with your mishap, you are light years ahead of me. 😊
Even though you are upset right this moment, you
should be proud you are trying to learn.

Honestly have to commend you on your determination.
And also wish you luck with getting the spring fixed.

My apologies once again about everything, but still
want to thank you for the post !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lawyer, you need to learn to quit while you're ahead. If you get a mechanical watch anywhere near +/- 1 sec/day. It's time to button it up and leave it alone. If you don't have an excellent pair of illuminated magnifying glasses. That's the first thing you need. Frees up both hands. One for holding your preferred regulator mover, the other for maneuvering the watch into position which should be in a watch stand/holder.
I cannot stress that patience is your best friend here. Every time you go in there to move the regulator, you're taking a chance of making contact with the hairspring which as you know, almost always ends in tears.
I would suggest you practice on some of your mistakes. (old watches)
Above all, remember, it's a mechanical watch. They tend to change specs in different temperatures, humidity, dial position etc. I always like mine to run fast rather than slow. So, I shoot for +0 to +10 sec/day. When I get there. I call it a day.
You're never going to get it perfect, so don't try. Good luck. :)
Thank you Forza, I will get the eyeglasses format magnifier.
Forza 7?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, sorry to hear about this LA. 🙁😔

I don’t even think I would know where to start with
attempting to fiddle with a watch. So honestly, even
with your mishap, you are light years ahead of me. 😊
Even though you are upset right this moment, you
should be proud you are trying to learn.

Honestly have to commend you on your determination.
And also wish you luck with getting the spring fixed.

My apologies once again about everything, but still
want to thank you for the post !
Thank you AtomicTom,
Usually the regulation is push pin or screw. The ETA elabore I destroyed had a fine screw. Seiko/Invicta use the pin levers as do most Chinese movements. It's fairly easy to set and a single slip can ruin the mood for weeks, since most of my meager watches end up with the jeweller.

I need better tools and to develop patience.

·
Senior Freek
1,360 Posts
My hands aren't steady enough to do anything other than change a watch strap. And even then a spring bar is likely to go sailing across the room. I only worry about my watches when it is obvious it's not keeping close to accurate time, but if during the day I have to adjust it by a minute or so, I don't worry.

Reactions: Lawyer Aidroos

·
Super Moderator
14,621 Posts
Thank you AtomicTom,
Usually the regulation is push pin or screw. The ETA elabore I destroyed had a fine screw. Seiko/Invicta use the pin levers as do most Chinese movements. It's fairly easy to set and a single slip can ruin the mood for weeks, since most of my meager watches end up with the jeweller.

I need better tools and to develop patience.

Patience we can all use more of Lawyer Aidroos. (y)

But It sounds like it's not that you needs better tools, but rather
the watches need to have those more durable push pins, and
screws. 😉The finer screws you are talking about, along with
finer pins sound like trouble. 😯😲

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Patience we can all use more of Lawyer Aidroos. (y)

But It sounds like it's not that you needs better tools, but rather
the watches need to have those more durable push pins, and
screws. 😉The finer screws you are talking about, along with
finer pins sound like trouble. 😯😲
Thanks AtomicTom,
But for my mediocre skill level, Quartz is the best play toy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My hands aren't steady enough to do anything other than change a watch strap. And even then a spring bar is likely to go sailing across the room. I only worry about my watches when it is obvious it's not keeping close to accurate time, but if during the day I have to adjust it by a minute or so, I don't worry.
You are intelligent, you know when not to mess with an object. An inner voice keeps pushing me to try for more. I won't quit until I get the desired result or destroy the object in the process.

·
Registered
Mostly affordable solars...
210 Posts
Time to invest in proper tools and more edu!!!!

Reactions: Lawyer Aidroos
1 - 15 of 15 Posts