Watch Freeks banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all,

I am preparing myself to sell an inherited 18K Reference 96 which I know very little about.

I want to check it's time keeping but am conscious of over-winding it (if that's possible?).

Does anyone know how many times it should be wound, and how long it should be expected to run?

Many thanks

Jams

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
I'm assuming it's hand wind and not an auto
Just turn the crown until it stops. You'll feel it tightening up when it gets close to full wound. Just nice and easy, and you'll be OK. Don't force it.
When you can't turn it anymore, it's fully wound.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Tinknocker - thanks for the advice. I was worried I could damage the movement if I wound it too much.

The AD's where I bought my other auto's advised a correct number of turns when getting them started.

I'm at a bit of a stalemate with this watch - A genuine PP service is going to be approx £1000 which I can't justify as I'm going to sell it. I also can't find a reputable jeweller who will take the back off for me so I can inspect the movement and get the serial number.

Booo!

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
If it's an auto, I usually turn it a few times to get it going, then put it on my wrist, or if it doesn't hand wind just move the watch back and forth to spin the rotor.

You may be able to find someone through here, not sure.

http://www.bhi.co.uk/

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They've got to be worth a bob or two!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts