Watch Freeks banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We get a lot of requests on the forum for help in determining real watches from fake or replica watches. It helps if you provide a really good set of pictures of both the front and back of the watch. If you can open the case back a photo of the movement is also helpful. Any information on how you acquired the watch may also provide important clues about the authenticity of the watch.

Many members are very good at identifying the typical flaws found on fakes. However, it is important that people requesting help realize that this is a courtesy that members offer. Ultimately, the information they get from forum members may or may not be accurate. It is impossible to perform a thorough inspection of a watch over the internet. It is not such a big deal when you are paying a low or moderate price for a watch. However, when you are dropping big money on a watch it is best to verify the authenticity of the watch or have extreme confidence in the seller's reputation.

Please be respectful of forum members that are offering feedback to your request for information on an unknown watch. Remember you asked for feedback. If you don't like what the member is providing you are free to seek out an Authorized Dealer and get an official evaluation of the watch. This might cost you a few bucks but at least you will be sure that you have an original and that you did not get ripped off.

Good luck buying, selling and trading. It is a dangerous world and there are a lot of crooks and thieves out there so it is clearly a buyer beware event. I assume that all watches are fake unless all the criteria are net.

1) serial numbers
2) matching paperwork
3) reliable reputation: somebody you know or have a reason to trust as opposed to a stranger on the internet that just seemed to pop up with the watch you are searching for and a ridiculous price.

Remember, the old adage, if the deal sounds to good to be real then it probable is not real.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
This may be a good sticky, so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
The following may not contribute to this thread as it only reflects my personal feelings toward the more shady side of this. Often, the watch in question comes from a (very) questionable source. Found at a yard sale (sure, APs Royal Oak Chronograph is THE model to buy for 50 bucks at a yard sale), given by an uncle (I never receive a solid gold President from an uncle who doesn't realise what he has in possession) or, found between the belongings of my ............ (fill in the blank). After yet another opening like these an epic face palm followed by a stiff drink is the only remedy :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I will agree with Spaceciew.

It's hard to tell a fake over the Internet. Not that I would know how to spot a good fake. But if you really want to know the truth, go to the dealer. Then you'll know 100% if it is authenticate or get papers with it.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I will agree with Spaceciew.

It's hard to tell a fake over the Internet. Not that I would know how to spot a good fake. But if you really want to know the truth, go to the dealer. Then you'll know 100% if it is authenticate or get papers with it.
Right on Gino. AD should know best. Remember, papers can be easily faked!

Thank you Spaceview!!! :clapping-hands-abov

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Right on Gino. AD should know best. Remember, papers can be easily faked!

Thank you Spaceview!!! :clapping-hands-abov
On one of the biggest auction sites over here you could order complete box- and paper sets with the watches (especially for a very famous Swiss brand). This went on for about two months, after that all ads were removed and those who placed them banned. They now have a special team to patrol the site and remove all illegal offerings in an instant.

Reactions: Roarry and scotty

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Added as a sticky to the General Watch Discussion section.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi fellow Watch Freeks, I have just started buying and selling watches and I find it very dificult to tell real from fake, my first test is the price. A new Rolex at $350 is the first alarm bell. Hodinkee are advertising a course in reconising real from fake for $1100 Us but unfortunatly it is in the US and it looks like a good course. Does anyone know of a good correspondence course on this?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts