Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I got a Movado women's 800. I took it to a jeweler to open it up and see if it was real. He wasn't sure as it did not say movado inside. It says SA8171 three jewels swiss made. He could not find the type of movement Movado uses in that watch to confirm. I got it from eBay. So I'm just nervous. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have more pictures if needed. Thank you.

Attachments

·
11,665 Posts
Watch is Fake

·
Registered
7,651 Posts

·
11,665 Posts

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Well, it might be trying to look like this model. Is yours a womans size?
Also, write to Movado and give them the serial# on the back case, also a picture maybe. They should be able to help. If you have a Movado dealer near you, you can bring it there also.

Maybe the original owner took the bezel off and replaced it with the other one so they can cash in on the diamonds. Is the dial mother of pearl.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
I know that what I have in this watch is sa8171-202. I want to know if that's the movement that Movado uses for the watch. Where did you find the reference? Thank you.
I would advise you, like I did in my earlier post, to e-mail Movado, with a picture of the front and back and with the serial# on the back. See what they say. Ask them if they use that movement also.

Read my first post for reference on the movement.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know that what I have in this watch is sa8171-202. I want to know if that's the movement that Movado uses for the watch. Where did you find the reference? Thank you.
I would advise you, like I did in my earlier post, to e-mail Movado, with a picture of the front and back and with the serial# on the back. See what they say. Ask them if they use that movement also.

Read my first post for reference on the movement.

OK Thank you.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I just replaced my battery in my 800 today. A full size chrono. They wanted 35 dollars to do it so she gave me the tools and sold me a battery. If I had known this thread existed I would have paid more attention to my movement. Mine is a different movement, but, it looked to be better finished and it did say Movado on it. In a nut shell hat is the answer to your question what makes a watch a fake. Cheaper movement, glass, metal, dial face. My movement looked better. Although some fakes look pretty good. Till you get some wear and tear on them. I have had a few. "Cheap" fakes, that is what the web sites call them, the chronograph will not function. The more expensive "reproductions" will have a functioning chronograph. The "cheap" ones pushing the button just advances the subdial around the circle.

You need to do what tinknocker said. At least find another watch shop to look at it. Email movado and ask if that movement was used in a series 800. I saw your watch a few minutes ago on eBay for 900 dollars. Fake, or real. I hope you didn't pay that much. Even with a few real diamond chips on the dial I would question it being worth that much. I suppose it is possible in the right store. I like my 800. I do. I had 2 of them a chrono and a non chrono. I am not endeared to Movado because of them. After a disappointing run with the non chrono I did not find it to be very durable, i sold for 60 dollars to a person who worked at a watch repair place. I put the chrono away for safe keeping to wear just a couple times a year. i didn't pay anywhere near 900 for either of mine, but I don't have diamond chips.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts