Watch Freeks banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
This 42mm Flieger "B" has a sapphire crystal, a 316L well finished case, lovely leather strap, and a movement that has a beat error of 0.1 and an accuracy of +2 SPD, which hand winds and hacks. So, what is the brand, and what is the cost.

Super Moderator
Honestly know this one Mrs. Wiggles, and only because of you sir. (y)(y)

Don't want to answer though, so as to keep the game going a little
longer. 馃槈 It's funny though, the first thing that comes to mind is
Laco actually, with just the all around classic style, along with cool
finish like you said.

Really appreciate the post, and especially this neat test ! 馃檪

Registered
Heimdallr or San Martin, made in China, $150.

Reactions: AranaWhite

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
It's actually a Corgeut that cost me about 拢50. There is a point behind the thread though. If your not paying for an original design, like you wouldn't be 99% of the time with a Flieger, why pay for a name. You see, the majority of Flieger watches don't even have the name on the dial, so they all look pretty much the same. So then you just need to look at spec and finish. The watch is question is actually finished very well, and the movement does exactly what it should do. Don't get me wrong, there are many times when it's worth paying more, but on this occasion I don't think it is

Registered
I didn't reply because I "cheated." A Google Image search revealed it as a Corgeut from your own posts on this and other forums. ;) Nice looking piece.

Reactions: rh747m

Super Moderator
A really terrific post Mrs. Wiggles ! 馃榾

It's fascinating thinking about all of this to tell the truth, and a lot of
fun to just see another bang for the buck brand. 馃槸 Actually don't
think we see this brand much, or at all. So thanks very very much
on all fronts for the post !!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
A really terrific post Mrs. Wiggles ! 馃榾

It's fascinating thinking about all of this to tell the truth, and a lot of
fun to just see another bang for the buck brand. 馃槸 Actually don't
think we see this brand much, or at all. So thanks very very much
on all fronts for the post !!!
Like Bliger and Parnis they are Chinese watches made on a budget. I only have a few in my collection, but am always astounded by the specification and finish. Now, I don't own this, but have a look at what is on offer for such a crazy low price. I can assure you it would blow the mind of any collector once handled. The chances are the lume will be poor, and the bezel movement MAY not be great, otherwise amazing. On the flip side, the bezel will be have a ceramic insert, the NH35 movement is tried and tested, and used in far more expensive watches, the crystal sapphire, and the case will be a well finished 316L SS. What's more, I can guarantee you the bracelet will be significantly better than the one Seiko put on my SKX

Registered
It's actually a Corgeut that cost me about 拢50. There is a point behind the thread though. If your not paying for an original design, like you wouldn't be 99% of the time with a Flieger, why pay for a name. You see, the majority of Flieger watches don't even have the name on the dial, so they all look pretty much the same. So then you just need to look at spec and finish. The watch is question is actually finished very well, and the movement does exactly what it should do. Don't get me wrong, there are many times when it's worth paying more, but on this occasion I don't think it is
Your post reminds me of this article: Wrist Watch Comparison N掳1

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Your post reminds me of this article: Wrist Watch Comparison N掳1
This to some degree is my point. I used the watch in question purely because it is a classic design, and one that looks like many others. It is quite common for a Flieger not to carry a logo, so this made it ideal. I am convinced that if we swapped the logo of a Rolex Submariner with a good quality homage, people would still drawl over the watch with Rolex on it. Please don't think I am deriding luxury brand watches, they are there for a purpose, and give many people great pleasure. If your thrills come from studying a watch in the most minute detail, please go and spend $20,000. Watch collecting is a controversial subject, and I am convinced there aren't any two watch collectors that have exactly the same opinion. I was talking to an enthusiast the other day. He has about six watches, all of which are quite expensive. His knowledge of expensive brands and models was quite good, however he had absolutely no idea what so ever of what constitutes a quality watch other than price. Being someone who enjoys obtaining knowledge of an item, whether it be a toaster, a vacuum cleaner, or a watch, I find that quite strange.

Registered
I agree Mrs Wiggles. I haven't pulled the trigger yet on a Chinese brand, but of the name brand watches I own (Seiko, Citizen, Orient mainly) I have not paid more than $250 for a watch.

Meanwhile, with the Bliger you linked, that's a nice looking watch. Regarding sapphire crystal. I have one watch with sapphire (the Deep Blue i'm wearing) and I can't see much of a difference when I look at any of my other watches. So is sapphire really that much better than Hardlex or other crystal material? And the funny thing about a non-rotating bezel...I have several watches where the bezel rotates, and I never rotate them unless they are accidentally moved out of the 12:00 position and then I rotate it back to center. I consider the bezel to mainly be ornamental. My judgment on a watch is can it keep good time and do I like the way it looks and feels on my wrist.

Here's a case in point (or a bezel in point ;)
I'm wearing this watch today and look at the bezel orientation.

Registered

Registered
I agree Mrs Wiggles. I haven't pulled the trigger yet on a Chinese brand, but of the name brand watches I own (Seiko, Citizen, Orient mainly) I have not paid more than $250 for a watch.

Meanwhile, with the Bliger you linked, that's a nice looking watch. Regarding sapphire crystal. I have one watch with sapphire (the Deep Blue i'm wearing) and I can't see much of a difference when I look at any of my other watches. So is sapphire really that much better than Hardlex or other crystal material? And the funny thing about a non-rotating bezel...I have several watches where the bezel rotates, and I never rotate them unless they are accidentally moved out of the 12:00 position and then I rotate it back to center. I consider the bezel to mainly be ornamental. My judgment on a watch is can it keep good time and do I like the way it looks and feels on my wrist.

View attachment 131065
Nice looking watch!!

Reactions: Gary

Registered

Super Moderator
Like Bliger and Parnis they are Chinese watches made on a budget. I only have a few in my collection, but am always astounded by the specification and finish. Now, I don't own this, but have a look at what is on offer for such a crazy low price. I can assure you it would blow the mind of any collector once handled. The chances are the lume will be poor, and the bezel movement MAY not be great, otherwise amazing. On the flip side, the bezel will be have a ceramic insert, the NH35 movement is tried and tested, and used in far more expensive watches, the crystal sapphire, and the case will be a well finished 316L SS. What's more, I can guarantee you the bracelet will be significantly better than the one Seiko put on my SKX
It's amazing the level of quality that is for sure MW, and it seems to be
a theme with more, and more brands like these. From the design of the
watches themselves, to the finish, and even bracelets like you said. It's
a lot of watch for the $. 馃檪(y)

Thanks a lot sir, for not only the post, but for coming up with the quiz !

Registered
Discussion Starter #17

View attachment 131065
Most Deep Blue watches are in fact made in China. Sapphire is indeed significantly better than mineral. It won't scratch, and has a sheen mineral doesn't. I agree that no watch has to have a rotating bezel unless actually used for diving. That said, if dive watches are your cup of tea, a good rotating bezel can give the owner great pleasure. Just goes to show how sad us WIS's are:)

Registered
Yes, while Deep Blue is probably mainly manufactured in China, they do not sell themselves as a Chinese brand. And my eyes are probably too tired these daze to notice if the sapphire crystal on my Deep Blue is significantly better than the Hardlex on my Seiko SKX.

Registered
Yes, while Deep Blue is probably mainly manufactured in China, they do not sell themselves as a Chinese brand. And my eyes are probably too tired these daze to notice if the sapphire crystal on my Deep Blue is significantly better than the Hardlex on my Seiko SKX.
I've had my SKX009 for 7 years now and have worn it extensively in and out of the water. So far not a single scratch on the Hardlex crystal. Given a choice, I'd opt for sapphire but there's nothing wrong with Seiko Hardlex.

Reactions: Gary
1 - 19 of 19 Posts