Watch Freeks banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I recently acquired a Deep Blue Alpha Marine 500 with a full lume dial and orange tritium tube with the 12, 3, 6, 9 as tritium numbers. I liked the lume and tritium very, very much - a little put off by the weight and thickness but the dial with lume/tritium out weighs those drawbacks. It appears to be well made too.
Then comes the issue that I'm having trouble getting over. It is an automatic/mechanical. I am use to the reliability and convenience of a quartz. I can appreciate the tradition of the gears and mechanisms of mechanical watches but I don't like the daily maintenance. If I don't wear it daily, I have to reset the time and probably the date - or, buy an extra mechanism to keep it wound.
Please do not take this post as any criticism of automatic watches. My problem speaks far more to my personal preferences than the characteristics of mechanical watches.
Which brings me to my questions (if you inclined to help after the above):
1. Does hand winding on a regular basis damage the watch, regular meaning 3 to 4 time a week for about 30 turns each time? Some of the research I've done indicates that hand winding s/b only very occasional. It has ETA 2824-2 movement.
2. Is there a quartz based watch with the tritium numbers like this model Deep Blue or the Ball Engineer series?
Thanks in advance for any help,
John

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the reply - if I could ask for a little more detail, would shaking for about a minute wind the watch for a day, half day, etc... I appreciate that "shaking" is not an exact term and probably varies on the tpye of watch, type of "shaking", etc....
It is beginning to be apparent that I need to move the watch down the road or get an auto winder ($30 to $50 as I've seen) - I wish I didn't like the dial so much.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Well, it has the Miyota 9015 in it, correct? Not much info on hand winding that, but I wouldn't worry about it.
I hand wind my 2824's with no problem. I don't do it every day like my 2804, but it's good to do to keep the oils from drying up.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
you just shake it until the second hand starts moving... " shaking " is more precisely described as smooth gyroscopic circular movement which exerts centrifugal force and spins the rotor....... ( i do not manual wind autos because i damaged a bunch winding and make every effort to avoid costly repairs in & out of warranty ...just not into postage,insurance,hassle )

not a fan of winders... they cost bucks, make noise, take up space...UNLESS the watch has UNUSUAL & NUMEROUS COMPLICATIONS DIFFICULT TO SET like MOON PHASE, CALENDARS, etc. not necessary for a simple 3 hand IMHO... as for date...well i don't set that and am not tightly wrapped enough to be bothered.

i shake & bake

SOCRATES said KNOW THYSELF... OP you sound like a quartz grab & go man...get your post count up and you can sell that DB AM on the forum...

sounds like you want full lume dial grab & go like member 9 got from MOMENTUM

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all for the help - Scotty, indeed I am a "quartz man" but I have been swayed by this particular watch face. I really like the super lume face AND the tritium numbers and markers. Otherwise I would not have even considered it at all.

So, I think I'll keep it for the time being though I really wish I could swap the ETA2824-2 for a Ronda. Kind of strange, preferring a $15 movement to a $250 one - wish it were practical to retrofit a quartz movement into the DB Alpha - I could put up with weight and thickness (diameter is just fine) for the convenience of the quartz movement.

The argument for a winder is almost persuasive as is the "shake and bake" method so I'll take a while on that one.

Again thanks to all for your help.

Hey DB, how about a QUARTZ Alpha Marine with a full lume dial and Tritium NUMBERS and markers? I think it would sell quite well but then again what do I know........

·
Registered
253 Posts
How about a pic of that trit DB AM 500?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts