Watch Freeks banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Question for the freeks. My friend has the Invicta Men's Pro Diver Automatic Exhibition Back Stainless Steel Watch - J177426 - this watch:
http://www.shopnbc.com/PRODUCT/?track=-20301;&familyid=J177426&cm_re=Search-_-family-_-N

He loves the watch. It shows this automatic movement - Movement: NH25A Automatic with 21 jewels

Here is the question - does this watch have a power reserve? It works fine when they are wearing it and keeps very accurate time. But when he takes it off at night it stops before the morning and he has to reset the time/date. I am not sure why it would do this.

Anyone have any feedback about this please?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
imported post

Hi James, I have that watch. If memory serves it should have a power reserve of maybe 43 or 44 hours. I usually keep it ina winder. What I learned about this timepiece, it does not wind by the crown, so I am never sure how tight the spring is. If it needs to be wound I gently shake it. I hope this helps. ....Bob

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Thanks Bob -

2 questions

1) If it is not holding its charge for a few hours after he takes it off what could be happening?

2) Do you know which way the winder should be set for this watch, or is it both ways?

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

CurrentTime wrote:
I've been surfin' for 20 minutes and found nothing on the power reserve on this movement.
Rick - does that mean it has no power reserve at all? What would be the point of that? Then the watch literally needs to be set each time, or always live on a winder when not being worn.

·
Registered
281 Posts
imported post

It is a good movement but seems to require a lot of activity when you are wearing it to get it wound up well.

When I wore them, if I was at work or something, then overnight was no problem. If it was a day I was really taking it easy, it would die overnight whereas the Miyota movement in the older Pro Divers never had that problem. Even without manually winding the Miyota, wearing it through a day with minimal activity did not seem to matter, it would still run all night.

Kind of strange since the SII winds both ways and the Miyota only one way...but the Miyota seems to build up power easier.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

TVDinner wrote:
CurrentTime wrote:
I've been surfin' for 20 minutes and found nothing on the power reserve on this movement.
Rick - does that mean it has no power reserve at all? What would be the point of that? Then the watch literally needs to be set each time, or always live on a winder when not being worn.
I am reading a lot of "hearsay" but it appears that the movement is similar (based on) the 7s25 . . .

". . . the movement they [Invicta] are ordering is the chinese made TMI equivalent of the 7s25 that seiko makes for third party sales, and which they will sell to anyone who orders."

Well, the 7s25 has a power reserve of approx 40 hours.

Here's technical info on the NH25a . . . 41 hour power reserve

http://www.timemodule.com/sii/pdf/nh25a.pdf

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

Hey James -tht's the same movement in our watch -you know the one we were talking about -i never noticed that it stopped right away

i have noticed that it does stop quicker than most of my other auto's but i always thought it was becasue you cant wind it by hand

i would imagine that 1 day of wearing wouldnt give it much of a charge

if you wear it for a week it may fully charge - especially if you sleep with it -if you take it off when you sleep it may not charge

i sleep with mine on until i switch so i never noticed the diff

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
imported post

TVDinner wrote:
Thanks Bob -

2 questions

1) If it is not holding its charge for a few hours after he takes it off what could be happening?

2) Do you know which way the winder should be set for this watch, or is it both ways?
Hi James, my best guess would be that it needs to be gently shook for a minute or two before wearing. Wear it for at least eight hours and than see how long the watch runs. The other thought is that if it has a very short power reserve it may need a repair. The one thing I noticed with my timepiece is that I can set the second hand when the watch is slightly wound. for some strange reson. I pull out the crown and move the watch crown backwards (minute hand goes backwards) slightly and the second hand stops or moves backwards a few seconds. This does not happen when I take it out of the winder. Very strange! If somebody knows why this happens I would like to know. The watch windsboth ways in the winder. ....Bob

·
Banned
556 Posts
imported post

It doesn't have a short reserve.its a shake and bake movement.Shake it for 5 minutes and it runs for about 40 hours.because it doesn't have a hand wind mechanism, the rotor action is heavier and requires more activity than the normal movements.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

I have found the same thing that Dedward pointed out with both of my NH25A movements. I generally leave them in the winder (CW/CCW), but if I take it off after wearing it for a day it will usually hold a charge for about 1 1/2 days and then I just shake it for about 2-3 minutes and voila!!

·
Registered
514 Posts
imported post

. . . Isn't this the movement that was reported to have been modified for Invicta at their request to wind in both directions? If I recall, the rotor is marked as such . . . . I have it in one Diver, but I don't wear it often enough to tell what it is behaving like . . . .

·
Registered
261 Posts
imported post

I have this movement in the Invicta 6029 diver. I find that it usually will run for about 36 hours after a day of wear. I've heard of some people who have had a problem with the rotor being too stiff and thus not getting a full wind. I believe this can be adjusted by a decent watch guy.
This movement does indeed wind in both directions, so the direction of the winder shouldn't really matter. I find that when I haven't worn it for a few days (or longer) I can just set it, give it just a few shakes (litterally just a few), put it on and just go. Mine keeps great time - usually within a few seconds per day.

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

I have two and both act about the same as yours Rob. Nevertheless they have proven to be reliable.

CJ

Watchguru58 wrote:
I have found the same thing that Dedward pointed out with both of my NH25A movements. I generally leave them in the winder (CW/CCW), but if I take it off after wearing it for a day it will usually hold a charge for about 1 1/2 days and then I just shake it for about 2-3 minutes and voila!!

·
Banned
556 Posts
imported post

yes.This movement was reported to have been modified by Invicta with a joint venture with Seiko.The claim is this modified movements rotor winds in both directions.I dug up the posts on 2 different forums to refresh my memory on this.

The movement is the 7s26.all of the seiko non winding, non hacking movements wind in both directions with the rotor.maybe some confusion there.only the miyota and some citizen movements wind counter clockwise.The only modification to this movement is the rotor is signed invicta and has arrows pointing in both directions.As far as I know, the only movement that has a directional arrow on it is the miyota 8215 and the citizen movement thats in the autozilla.

heres the seiko movement.

heres the miyota 8215

hope that doesn't violate any rules, but the seiko movement isn't modified other than adding the rotor decoration.I've had this one apart already to look at the auto winder.its the same as the 7s26.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
imported post

Thank you for the info.

Here is what we did last night.
1) he moved his arm continuously and actively for 5 minutes as you suggested during the night - the hope here was to just wind the watch up fully for the first time.

2) Before taking it off for bed he was going to shake his arm again for a minute or so and then take it off.

I have not heard from him yet, but I will report back if it made it through the night without stopping.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

UPDATE - he woke up after 8 hours of sleeping and the watch was working and running fine.

Summary - it was never actually wound up to have the power reserve and now it does.

Thank you everyone!!!

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

TVDinner wrote:
UPDATE - he woke up after 8 hours of sleeping and the watch was working and running fine.

Summary - it was never actually wound up to have the power reserve and now it does.

Thank you everyone!!!
That's great news!

Isn't it nice when suggestions lead to a positive resolution! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.