Watch Freeks banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably a question that has been answered countless times already but do manufacturers have to verify water resistance claims somehow?

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Yes and no.
They don't "HAVE" to, and many don't. Some estimate WR based on engineering specifications and computer simulations. Others do dry pressure tests on a few cases as they come off the line. Others adhere to higher standards like ISO 6425 (see here for the wikipedia entry on ISO6425). Most of your big names do adhere to ISO standards or better, but some companies make outrageous claims to water resistance that I doubt could be backed up.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes and no.
They don't "HAVE" to, and many don't. Some estimate WR based on engineering specifications and computer simulations. Others do dry pressure tests on a few cases as they come off the line. Others adhere to higher standards like ISO 6425 (see here for the wikipedia entry on ISO6425). Most of your big names do adhere to ISO standards or better, but some companies make outrageous claims to water resistance that I doubt could be backed up.
Very informative. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Great show guys! The combined knowledge shows both width and, ahem, depth. The Wikipedia article 'Water Resistance mark' is also a great read. I do have a penchant for extreme (but superfluous) depth ratings like these come for free with the watches I like :D

Reactions: ganson

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
Snip... but some companies make outrageous claims to water resistance that I doubt could be backed up.
The fact that there are limited numbers of testers past 2000m is probably proof of that (never mind 5000m+ WR watches.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts