Watch Freeks banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you tried applying clear enamel nail polish to your gold tone watch band where it rubs off the most.
I know, stay away from gold tone bracelets.
I just replaced the bracelet on my Gold Tone Belair Chrono, the gold of course has worn off in spots, particularly the back and bottom where i rest my arm.
Just wondering what would be the best way to protect the gold tone?
Do you think applying a few coats of some kind of clear lacquer would work? It seems clear nail polish would be easy and wear relatively long.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
Honestly, do not think I have ever heard of any body asking this.

I am not sure how the nail polish would hold up. Seems like it would be flaking off within a short amount of time, and then will look really crappy.

Just like black watches, gold plated watches run the risk of rubbing off. The better the coating the better it will last. If it is a cheaper type of plating, it is just going to wear off eventually.

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,771 Posts
I would think after awhile the lacquer would start peeling off and you would have a case of watch dandruff.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I think any kind of protective coating applied will look awful. Just wear the watch and try and be more careful.

Reactions: RickF

·
Super Moderator
12,933 Posts
Have to agree with the guys WAM. :) I mean it sounds like it could work maybe for a short time, but you'd probably see where it was put, and maybe any brush strokes. Plus you'd have to worry about that chipping, or peeling like everyone is saying. :eek: ..Interesting question though !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts