Watch Freeks banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi Watch Freeks:
About 1.5 years ago I bought this Junkers watch http://www.pointtec.de/#/junkers/6612-4/, I was really satisfied with the cool design it has. However about 3 weeks ago I was having dinner and the watch came off my wrist and fell to the floor. The glass did not brake but the hands came off and so did the Junkers logo. The manufacturer (Pointtech) is telling me that this happened because the leather bracelet shrank, reduced its width and this allowed the pin to come off. These all happened because the bracelet was in contact with my sweat. I am completely disappointed by the “Made in Germany” quality of this watch. I don’t understand how a €400 watch comes with a “leather” bracelet that shrinks after only 1.5 years. I am very surprised that the watch fell from a height of 1 meter, the glass did not break but the hands and Junkers logo came off… they could have used super glue to avoid this failure.
Well, the manufacturer is telling me that I have to pay the repair, but I want to fight because this watch has no German quality and the company has a really bad customer service.
Do you know about cases like my one? Do you have any suggestion on my “fighting” strategy?

Thanks !

· Premium Member
19,352 Posts
imported post

Your at the helm of the manufacturer. How long was the watch warranty. What does the warranty state. Basically, if it was a 1 year warranty, your out of luck, or if still under warranty, read the fine print to see what is covered. Its unfortunate that it happened, and it shouldnt have, but most likely if you want it repaired, youll have to pay them to do it.

Get a price quote from them on how much to repair it. Depending on how much, you might want to make a decision if its worth getting repaired, or just buying a new watch( I would suggest another brand).

By the way, welcome to the forum.

· Registered
7,661 Posts
imported post

Maybe your sweat penetrated the caseback and made it to the dial, degrading the glue that holds the logo and causing the hands shaft to get slippery, which in turn caused the hands to slip off.

Just sayin :%:%:%

· Registered
2,752 Posts
imported post

What's a "meter"? Is it far?? Because it sounds like it would be far...:lol

Did you buy it with a credit card? Some credit cards will double the warranty when you use them to make a purchase.

Hope this helps you.

p.s. Just kidding about not knowing what a meter is...

· Premium Member
25,162 Posts
imported post

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your situation BUT I am always amazed when we hear stories like these. I agree with just about everything Tattoo Chef posted above.

I have no idea the condition of your watch, or how it has been handled for the past 1 1/2 years. You could have beat on it, or taken great care of it. I am not saying you did either, but again, I have no idea. You could be a person who sweats a lot, or the watch got wet in the rain or sink. Or it could have been banged one time causing something to come loose on the strap, but again, we don't know.

One thing I do know is that these watches all have warranties. We research what the terms are before buying hopefully. If still "in" the warranty term you take advantage of the warranty and get it fixed (if the type of repair is covered as per the terms of the warranty). If after the warranty term is over (for any watch), it is on you to get repaired, if you want to do it. But to say it is not "German quality" or "the company has a really bad customer service" never makes any sense to me.

We all KNOW how frustrating a broken watch is first hand and understand how it can make you angry. I have been in the exact same situation. I hope to learn more about your situation, what the warranty is with this brand (because I don't know that much about it), and see how it all turns out. But just coming on to trash a company does not make sense to me.

Please keep us updated on what happens and the final resolution with this situation.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Tattoo Chef wrote:
Your at the helm of the manufacturer. How long was the watch warranty. What does the warranty state. Basically, if it was a 1 year warranty, your out of luck, or if still under warranty, read the fine print to see what is covered. Its unfortunate that it happened, and it shouldnt have, but most likely if you want it repaired, youll have to pay them to do it.

Get a price quote from them on how much to repair it. Depending on how much, you might want to make a decision if its worth getting repaired, or just buying a new watch( I would suggest another brand).

By the way, welcome to the forum.
The warranty was 2 years and it states the it does not apply when the glass is broken... not my case.
It looks like I will have to pay or get a new watch... definetly another brand.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

TVDinner wrote:
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your situation BUT I am always amazed when we hear stories like these. I agree with just about everything Tattoo Chef posted above.

I have no idea the condition of your watch, or how it has been handled for the past 1 1/2 years. You could have beat on it, or taken great care of it. I am not saying you did either, but again, I have no idea. You could be a person who sweats a lot, or the watch got wet in the rain or sink. Or it could have been banged one time causing something to come loose on the strap, but again, we don't know.

One thing I do know is that these watches all have warranties. We research what the terms are before buying hopefully. If still "in" the warranty term you take advantage of the warranty and get it fixed (if the type of repair is covered as per the terms of the warranty). If after the warranty term is over (for any watch), it is on you to get repaired, if you want to do it. But to say it is not "German quality" or "the company has a really bad customer service" never makes any sense to me.

We all KNOW how frustrating a broken watch is first hand and understand how it can make you angry. I have been in the exact same situation. I hope to learn more about your situation, what the warranty is with this brand (because I don't know that much about it), and see how it all turns out. But just coming on to trash a company does not make sense to me.

Please keep us updated on what happens and the final resolution with this situation.
About the condition of my watch, well I work mostly infront of a computer, and I live in northen germany-denmark where is always really cold, not to much sweat. This sweat argument makes absolutly no sense, I am a material science engineer myself and last Friday when I confronted the women from the company with engineering arguments she just told me that her boss would call me. I am still waiting. The way I see it is that it is a design problem, either the watch is to big for such a small and soft bracelet or they are using very thin and cheap leather.
In Germany usually when you buy something that is "made in germany" and then something happens it is very easy the get fixed or changed, the companies are very aware of this.
Me "trashing" this company does not makes sense to you, but I want to let people know about this company and what happend to my watch.

· Premium Member
25,162 Posts
imported post

As I mentioned above, keep us updated on what happens. Hopefully it will be resolved to your satisfaction and that will be the end result of this thread.

Good luck.

· Registered
2 Posts
2.5 yrs after buying a Junkers, the glass casing fell off while I was at dinner. Manufacturer told me that extreme heat and cold caused the glue to come undone. I live in California. Not the Antarctic.

Last week, the minute hand and the other dials stopped working.

I will not be buying a Junkers. So much for German quality and customer service.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts