Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So I get my Android sizing kit today and for S's and giggles, I take the loupe to some of my watch dials. I pulled out 5 random pieces from the same "series" or designation. Two of them had small hairs on the dial and two more had small specs of lint. I stopped looking after seeing this. I'm not angry nor do I feel like I got screwed, but aren't these pieces assembled in clean rooms? Am I correct in thinking that dials are supposed to be perfectly free of ANY type of debris? If I'm talking out of school, please correct me, but top 10% my ass! I guess I can't even say I'm surprised, because I'm not. The "imperfections" are not noticeable to the naked eye, but they are to the mind. Not trying to start anything, just making an observation.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear that TK....I know now in the back of your head you want to check all of your watches...for me I'm not surprised but it is unfortunate. Keep your head up brutha and dont check out any more of your watches or else your not gonna get any sleep tonight...Now the other alternative is.....SELL THEM....lol

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

I dont understand what happened?
you opened up one of your watches and there was "stuff" in there?

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear that TK.
Oh that would bug the crap out of me!! I would not be able to leave well enough alone and get in there and try to clean them out. And no, I do not believe that they are hand assembled in a clean room with white gloves.....I have had too many issues that contradict these statements. Just my opinion, no haters please........got a headache tonight.
:madd

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I looked at the dials through a loupe and saw a small hair on 2 of the dials and small specs of lint on 2 others.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

You know Tuna, When I received my Android kit about months ago, I did the same thing after reading the stories on the geek site. I never found anything out of watches, so I left it at that. Sorry you have went down this road, knowing is the actual problem. Personally if my 20/20 cant see it, then I aint worried about it!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

RipitRon wrote:
You know Tuna, When I received my Android kit about months ago, I did the same thing after reading the stories on the geek site. I never found anything out of watches, so I left it at that. Sorry you have went down this road, knowing is the actual problem. Personally if my 20/20 cant see it, then I aint worried about it!
That's basically where I am Rip. I can't see it with naked eye, so it's not making me angry, I was just under the impression that these things are not supposed to happen during the assembly process. I thought they were supposed to be perfect.

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

RipitRon wrote:
I'm with you Rip, if you try hard enough you can see just about anything and I really do not want to know:)

CJ

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
imported post

now you have me wondering Its 6:35pm on the west coast so I will loupe some of the watches tomorrow and see what I find. I want to be able to sleep tonight

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

Just say no DJ, put the loupe down and walk away!!!:b

CJ

djpop wrote:
now you have me wondering Its 6:35pm on the west coast so I will loupe some of the watches tomorrow and see what I find. I want to be able to sleep tonight

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

I am not going to look. If I can't see it, it is not there to me.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

TUNAKLLR wrote:
RipitRon wrote:
That's basically where I am Rip. I can't see it with naked eye, so it's not making me angry, I was just under the impression that these things are not supposed to happen during the assembly process. I thought they were supposed to be perfect.
You know something man, I design Painting and powder coating systems for a living as I am sure you already know. In 2005 I was contracted to design a 3 million dollar powder system for a clean room MFG, called Synetics Solution. The Specification for the system was to meet a class A finish. Too achieve this the powder must be applied in its own clean room, which Synetics supplied to us. The system was in every coating magazine known too man, and was the beginning for many systems that followed for this Industry. The reject ratio for the system was well above 9%. I am not making excuses for Invicta, I am just understanding of how this could happen, being that Invicta and there MFG, isnt equiped to produce a watch at the price they do, in a cleanroom enviromnt. You take your azz too the mall, pull out that loop and look at 10 watches over $5K, I bet you find some imperfections and some crap in there you wouldnt think you would.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
imported post

I do not remember the statement verbatim, but JS and Lior were speaking about this very subject and stated something to the effect that the SWISS standard is visible to the NAKED eye at 20cm or some such... which doesn't make me want to break out the loupe and start micro-checking things.

What I *will* say is I go to photograph a watch and it looks clean and polished and as soon as I look at the pictures there's tons of dust, crud, etc. Ignorance is bliss LOL

David

·
Registered
864 Posts
imported post

Not many people loupe their watches but thats where the big boys come in, Loupe a rolex or zenith and tell me what you see, should be fine. Loupe a Patek and it will be perfect!!! Most people dont care but when you get into high dollar pieces they have got to be perfect! I had a great philip watch but it had fingerprints on the minute hand and it drove me crazy!

·
Registered
570 Posts
imported post

your right cali if you buy a 8000 watch your paying for a clean room buy a 500 watch and the poor kids that put it together lost a hair in it.:%

·
Registered
864 Posts
imported post

You're so right big bill! I wear my watches and the loupe thing is kinda silly but when guys are spending 10K+ thats what they do! I'm not even real fond of super macro pictures because they will show scratches and dial imperfections that you just cant see looking at them!

·
Registered
298 Posts
imported post

I think this just proves that the factory in China, where the watches were put togehter, are not that clean. I'm beginning to think that all watches are assembled in China. No matter if it says "Swiss Made" it's still put together in China !!

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

I am a freakin' perfectionist when it comes to my watches. It's THE thing in life that I choose to obsess over.

With that said, I SCOUR EVERY WATCH I BUY, with a 10x loupe before I'll even unwrap the plastic, looking for imperfections.

I have done this for 20-25 years!

In all that time . . . I have never found anything under the crystal, on the dial, etc (on a new[ish] ) watch until I bought an Invicta Admiral COSC, last year. There was a long fiber (5-6mm) , wrapped under and over the "12" hour marker on the dial.

I cracked open the case, removed the stem, pulled the movement/dial assembly out of the watch, then carefully unwrapped and removed the fiber from the dial.

I am so glad that I haven't had any other issues with debris on the dial . . . because I'd be tearing the damn watch(es) apart! :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts