Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So over the Christmas break I noticed my watch was dying in my sleep. So I thought maybe it was cause I was not as active as I was not at work. Last night I wound my crown 40 times before bed. It died an hour into my sleep. During the course of the day this watch was working fine. I have 1.5 years left on my warranty, is it time to get an email fired off to Steinhart? Not looking forward to my losing my watch for a couple of weeks. Anything else I should try before I email Steinhart? Everything works fine like I said, just seems like the reserve is a little off.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Gino:
I had an Amphibia that would stop about an hour into my wear.
Took it to my watch guy. He opened case and there were metal
particles present. Kaput nuther words.
Weighed the costs of returning piece back to mother Russia.
No brainer. $51.00 watch. Gave it to a grandson to fool with.
Guess ole Svetlana was napping when she cased this watch.
No more Svetlana watches. Ever!!!

Lou Snutt

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Email Steinhart and let them know of the issue. They will tell you to send it back to them. Since it is under warranty, I would do that, but be prepared for a long wait. Steinhart has not had the best reputation for communication as of late.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Ganson. Email has been sent. I will let you know what happens. Glad to know others think this issue is not normal. Don't think I can lI've a couple weeks without my watch.

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
Thank you Ganson. Email has been sent. I will let you know what happens. Glad to know others think this issue is not normal. Don't think I can lI've a couple weeks without my watch.

I'm sure you can. Always worse things.

I know your watch isn't that old. Sucks it's already having issues.

I would love if you can keep an updated timeline and correspondence on this, either in this thread or a new one. It would be good for all to see how quickly or (slowly) Steinhart fixes the issue.

I think that is one thing many don't think of these days when buying a watch is the warranty and service turnaround and how good the service is (or isn't)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Good Luck with this issue GinoLicious. Never any fun. Hope the turnaround time is on the quick side. Hey, you just might "have" to pick up another piece!

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
^^

My thoughts as well Roarry.

I feel for you Dave. It is a big disappointment to have an issue with your Steinny after
such a short time with it. I'd be sending it back.

Hopefully they come through and fix it quickly.

This will be a good test to see how they followup.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Hang in there. Keep us posted. My Orient took weeks to be fixed the first time, then weeks again when it came back broken with a different issue (likely shipping related). It sucks, but having it done right was worth the time and the cost ($12 USD shipping the first time only). A $450+ watch is worth the time for it to be done right.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will keep you all posted. I will start a new thread for the turn around time so we can track it. I don't expect to hear from them today. I thought I was crazy. Wound it 40 times at night and died..so not cool.

Any suggestions on how I shold package it for shipping? Should I ship it I'm the watch box?

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I will keep you all posted. I will start a new thread for the turn around time so we can track it. I don't expect to hear from them today. I thought I was crazy. Wound it 40 times at night and died..so not cool.

Any suggestions on how I shold package it for shipping? Should I ship it I'm the watch box?
If I were you I would ship it back in the same packaging it came in, if you don't have it, I would wrap it up in some bubble wrap and place it in any sort of box that it will fit in. Make sure you send with it a copy of the warranty info and a description of what is wrong with it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
If you send it back in it's original case I would add some bubble wrap
between the watch and the inside top of the box. This will insure the watch
doesn't move whatsoever.
I second that. Any extra cushion will help prevent any further damage in transit in the event of a box drop, drop kick, cargo shift, roll over, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had an issue with my new OVM. Steinhart paid to delvery costs both ways. Took a week for the repair. They were really good about it.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well this is really sad right about now guys. I never thought I would reserect this thread.

After the watch was fixed which it took sometime to fix. I got it back and I had another thread about that experience. It all happened about this time last year. In any event the watch was fixed. Took some time but that was okay since the operation they run is small.

The reason to open this thread back up is because my watch is doing it again. After not even a year of repair she now dies 1-2 hours after taking it off. Yes I wear it every other day. And on the day I don't wear it, I hand crank it a few times before bed to ensure it does not die. Yet last night it died before midnight.

Now I'm faced with the following dilemma;

Send it back to Steinhart for another warranty repair and deal with the whole shipping it back which is difficult to ensure duty isn't placed on it. Had that issue last time. Or, do I find a local perso to fix it.

Warranty is up in March as that is my 2 year mark.

I want the watch fixed properly so in a year I don't need to deal with this again.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Any possibility that it is just not being wound enough or you're not moving enough through the day?

I'm guessing not, but just trying to think of any reason why this would happen...

I thought about magnetism, but that would effect the accuracy greatly if it would go so far as to stop the movement completely...

Damn, this sucks man.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I hand crank it a few times before bed to ensure it does not die. Yet last night it died before midnight.
Clarify "hand crank it a few times". If you lead a fairly sedentary lifestyle you may need to to wind it quite a bit more than that. From a dead stop i'd say you need to wind it 30+ times to get it to a half wound state.

If you're at a desk all day then go home and watch TV all night there's a reasonable chance it's simply not getting enough action from the rotor to get it wound and keep it wound.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts