Watch Freeks banner

Do you use your auto winders?

• Have winders and love them!

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Have (or had) winders and don't use them.

Votes: 10 90.9%

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was very close to investing in automatic winders for my mechanicals. However, after searching the forum for brand and design ideas I was surprised to learn that some owners poo-poo on the devices.

Just out of curiosity, I wonder how many folks felt purchasing winders was a waste of time/money.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have one, and rarely use it. Mine works for an hour, then stops for two. I don't have the option to keep it going, although I can reverse the direction. Not really sure why I bought it to be honest. After all, you don't keep your car running when your not using it, do you?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aside from the minor aggravation of resetting the day/date complication, I read somewhere that they increase a mechanical's lifespan.
But that could've been written by a winder manufacturer:D

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Was very close to investing in automatic winders for my mechanicals. However, after searching the forum for brand and design ideas I was surprised to learn that some owners poo-poo on the devices.

Just out of curiosity, I wonder how many folks felt purchasing winders was a waste of time/money.
For me they are a waste of money and my reasons are
1: My collection always revolves around having ten to fifteen watches. It's not a big collection but my reason of mentioning the size is that I wear each watch for a week or one and half week, and then move on to the next watch. In that one week or so I get reaquainted with the watch and also gives me an idea of how much time is it gaining or losing, to see if it needs service/demagnetization or not. ( I am getting of topic lol ) But my point is that since all mechanical watches either gain or lose time per day, exception of some, by the time I have gone through my collection and I am back to square one my watch it off a few minutes or less and me being me i will have to re-zero it so it does not make sense for if I have to set it anyways so why waste on a winder.
2: Even though all mechanical watches have lubricatiing oils to help make the movement of the watch run smoothly, wear and tear still happen on a small level. So in my view and this is only my view, I might be wrong, I would like to let the watch/ the movement rest to help reduce the wear and tear as much as I can, however small of a difference is make for me is still a difference.

Now these were my views on it buying a winder. I hope it helps you and give you a different way of look at things.

Sent from my OnePlus 7Pro using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,937 Posts
This is a really great topic, along with poll question Auto_Addict. :thumb:
Couldn't agree with everyone any more I don't think. Not that
winders can't be of help to people, but why let the winders have
all the fun right?! :bounce: Honestly, we already have an automatic
winder in our wrist. Actually two.

Although a lot of the winders do look very nice with their cool
designs, and lights that's for sure. :cool:

However, I honestly only have one small winder, and really
don't use it to be truthful.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
every now and then..

I received a winder a few years ago as a Christmas gift from my family it mainly houses my meager offbeat collection and for the most part it isn't on very often. But looks nice as a display case. ;)

·
Registered
458 Posts
That is total BS... If anything, the opposite is true. They are a total waste of money.
I have to agree, A watch that never runs will never wear out, about the only thing that can happen is the lube MIGHT dry up faster but that has everything to do with the oil and grease that is used...

I only have one manual wind watch and when I'm not going to wear it is sits unwound, And the same would be true if it was an automatic...

You want to get in on this one "Boo"? lol

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
I have a two position winder but it's gathering dust. It has various settings, and a manual including a table for various brands/types of movements. If you have only three mid-sized watches this is okay but with a collection over that number and larger and thus heavier watches it renders itself useless. Because of the weight of the watch heads they won't keep in their place and keep swaying. Winders with more slots and catering for heavier watches are of course available but not for me.

I don't mind winding and setting my watch of the day, it's one of those 'zen' moments I enjoy.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I use winders, but not nearly as much as I used to. I believe they have their place, but as my collection has grown, I wear each watch more & more infrequently. When I had less than a dozen pieces, I would keep between 8 - 10 on the machine. Mostly my winder (which holds 48 watches) is now mostly a display / storage item. I do still enjoy having it.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Have a watch box with four winder slots, never use them anymore, if I neglect the watch for a week or two you end up resetting it anyways.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I also was given a rather nice one that held 8 pieces on the winding spindles and had room for another 9 statically displayed

My collection is larger than that, so the small convenience of dates being switched on 31-day months is negated by the fact that there are more than will fit into it.

Each piece can go a couple of months before its turn comes around again.

If I ever had the money to get a fancy mechanical perpetual calendar that was a ***** to reset, then maybe I'd plug it in again

But for now, setting and starting is part of the ritual of switching over to the new wear.

The winder is a nifty display case and that's it.

Modern lube just doesn't dry up any more.

Constant running will wear more than a week every 3-4 months.

As others have mentioned, ALL mechanicals will lose or gain time and require resetting every few days or weeks.

Not all months have 31 days.

I'd say, save you money and invest in a digger display or storage solution without the extra expense of the winding function.

Then you'll have all those extra empty slots whispering to you to be filled.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Aside from the minor aggravation of resetting the day/date complication, I read somewhere that they increase a mechanical's lifespan.
But that could've been written by a winder manufacturer:D
So the more it works, the longer it lasts. Must be the only mechanical device on the entire planet like it. Yep, a rumour put around by the winder manufactureres

1 - 18 of 18 Posts