Watch Freeks banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently bought my first Russian watch - a Vostok Komandirskie Paratrooper - and I would like to find out more info about it. I would really appreciate it if anyone could tell me more about this model, maybe help date it.
- the case is 38 mm
- it has the "komandirskie" and "17 kamena" writing on the dial
- from what I can tell the hands have been replaced
- the number on the back is 490865 and there's no "made in..." stamp on it
- it has an integrated bezel

Attachments

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Hi,
I have many Vostoks, and I have serviced many.
The Vostok movements tend to be pretty robust things, very simple made. They are fairly easy to service. They range from as few as 7 jewels on very old models, to 31 jewels on the modern automatics. Mechanical watches tend to have 17 jewels.
The Komandirkies are pretty much just like their brother watches, the Amphibian. Main difference is the crown guards on either side of the crown. That and the Komandirkie cases are usually made of brass covered in a thick layer of chrome, where the Amphibian is stainless steel. The case backs are stainless steel on all Vostoks, and can be many different types. Sometimes they are the double headed russian eagle, some are the onion topped domes in Moskow, many have a Albatros soaring above a sea at sunset. And there are ones that are a plain back with just a 5 or 6 digit number stamped into them, which are usually on Vostoks made for a russian agency or the military.
They can be automatic or mechanical wind.
The hands tend to be plain affairs on komandirskies, and are usually the filled lumed type. {almost ALL vostok lume sucks, it just does, I always relume my own Vostoks}Sometimes you find small dagger type hands on some models.
Almost every movement, and every part can interchange between other Vostok watches. The main dis-qualifiers being the position of the crown in relation to the dial. You sometimes find "frankenstiened" Vostoks, where a dial and hands were taken from one watch and placed on a different movement.

The bezels on all real Vostok Russian watches {not vostok europe}are chrome plated brass with lines, dots and squiggles for indices. Komanderskies tend to have bezels that have a inverted triangle at its top. Some have bulbous rounded bezels with numbers and indices, but they are still brass. There are many aftermarket bezels that can be bought to fit the Komanderskie and Amphibians, if you want to customize it. They look MUCH better with a aftermarket bezel. Do a google search on " Vostok watch modded" to see how much better .

Komanderskies are said to be "water proof". I have taken apart both Amphibian 200 meter watches, and the Komanderskies. The case back seals are identical. The Komanderskie only has a crown top seal , where the Amphibian has a stem tube seal AND a crown top seal. They BOTH use acrylic divers type crystals. So I would guess that the Komanderskie is water proof to 50 meters at LEAST. The case back is a special affair, basically a VERY simple but effective way to water proof a watch. The technical name is a "bayonet" style case back seal system, but you have seen the same thing on ball or mason "jelly jar" lids. The way they are designed makes them seal tighter the deeper the watch dives.

The serial numbers are ANYONES guess. As I mentioned, people frankenstein multiple watches into 1. There is NO published serial number explanation I could find. Never has been. No date codes. So the serial wont tell you a thing.

Its an opinion I share with many others, but Vostoks give you great bang for the buck. A 31 jewel Amphibian brand new can be bought for 50 bucks. A "Scuba dude " version for 70 bucks. And a NICE customized scuba dude with shark mesh bracelet and seiko style bezel for around 120.
I have 3 new Vostoks I am selling, and I have the scuba dude dials, and seiko bezels. If you are interested , let me know via private message. I sell here , and I have a good record here and on Ebay.
Cheers
Rod

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
OOPs, forgot to mention, yours is a mechanical 17 jewel{ or 17 Khamen} wind up watch.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Hi,
I have many Vostoks, and I have serviced many.
The Vostok movements tend to be pretty robust things, very simple made. They are fairly easy to service. They range from as few as 7 jewels on very old models, to 31 jewels on the modern automatics. Mechanical watches tend to have 17 jewels.
The Komandirkies are pretty much just like their brother watches, the Amphibian. Main difference is the crown guards on either side of the crown. That and the Komandirkie cases are usually made of brass covered in a thick layer of chrome, where the Amphibian is stainless steel. The case backs are stainless steel on all Vostoks, and can be many different types. Sometimes they are the double headed russian eagle, some are the onion topped domes in Moskow, many have a Albatros soaring above a sea at sunset. And there are ones that are a plain back with just a 5 or 6 digit number stamped into them, which are usually on Vostoks made for a russian agency or the military.
They can be automatic or mechanical wind.
The hands tend to be plain affairs on komandirskies, and are usually the filled lumed type. {almost ALL vostok lume sucks, it just does, I always relume my own Vostoks}Sometimes you find small dagger type hands on some models.
Almost every movement, and every part can interchange between other Vostok watches. The main dis-qualifiers being the position of the crown in relation to the dial. You sometimes find "frankenstiened" Vostoks, where a dial and hands were taken from one watch and placed on a different movement.

The bezels on all real Vostok Russian watches {not vostok europe}are chrome plated brass with lines, dots and squiggles for indices. Komanderskies tend to have bezels that have a inverted triangle at its top. Some have bulbous rounded bezels with numbers and indices, but they are still brass. There are many aftermarket bezels that can be bought to fit the Komanderskie and Amphibians, if you want to customize it. They look MUCH better with a aftermarket bezel. Do a google search on " Vostok watch modded" to see how much better .

Komanderskies are said to be "water proof". I have taken apart both Amphibian 200 meter watches, and the Komanderskies. The case back seals are identical. The Komanderskie only has a crown top seal , where the Amphibian has a stem tube seal AND a crown top seal. They BOTH use acrylic divers type crystals. So I would guess that the Komanderskie is water proof to 50 meters at LEAST. The case back is a special affair, basically a VERY simple but effective way to water proof a watch. The technical name is a "bayonet" style case back seal system, but you have seen the same thing on ball or mason "jelly jar" lids. The way they are designed makes them seal tighter the deeper the watch dives.

The serial numbers are ANYONES guess. As I mentioned, people frankenstein multiple watches into 1. There is NO published serial number explanation I could find. Never has been. No date codes. So the serial wont tell you a thing.

Its an opinion I share with many others, but Vostoks give you great bang for the buck. A 31 jewel Amphibian brand new can be bought for 50 bucks. A "Scuba dude " version for 70 bucks. And a NICE customized scuba dude with shark mesh bracelet and seiko style bezel for around 120.
I have 3 new Vostoks I am selling, and I have the scuba dude dials, and seiko bezels. If you are interested , let me know via private message. I sell here , and I have a good record here and on Ebay.
Cheers
Rod

Great post.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have the same watch except it has no date. Found it at a yard sale for a couple of bucks. It looks good and works ok, gains a little time each day about 15 minutes a week. Seems to be built like a tank.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
crotchasteeth:
I would offer my 2 cents worth om the Komanderiske. If I still owned it i.e.
My over tha top watch freek daughter all but kidnapped it, until I relented and
gave it to her to get her to shut her gob.
Then she calls and reads the riot act that it's tedious to set the date on!!! Told
her to take 10 deep breaths and set it the way every other Komanderiske owner
does.
I full expected the watch to be back in my possession but it hasn't happened yet.
Add being stubborn to over tha top, asserive, and talks a blue streak.
I'd hate to be one of her 23 subordinates.

When they're gone, they stay gone I reckon. And I waited 22 days to get it from
Momma Russia.

Lou Snutt (color me cowardly fer not makin a stand on the watch.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I have the willful daughter too. Mines 14 , and had decided she wanted one of daddy's military watches. Specifically a expensive Casio prg2500 triple sensor solar watch. Since I am seriously anal about my watches, the Casio is basically new still. So she is getting the Casio. Not that it will hurt my collection any. I have 30 watches in my personal collection. And 300 waiting to be serviced, restored or rebuilt.

And I was serious. I have 5 Vostok Amphibian auto dive watches that are brand new. Anyone wanting a black scuba dude diver that's modded , pm me.
Happy Holidays
Rod

1 - 7 of 7 Posts