Watch Freeks banner

Pics of my leather strap build

2K views 51 replies 5 participants last post by  Wrascal 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm a sucker for durable / quality leathers - and as this guy sounded like a quality maker I ordered a strap - along with the desire to witness its build.

As I'm ignorant about the strap build process I begged for a photographic experience, including tools of the trade; he agreed. Hopefully he'll include real pics (girls, dogs, bloodied fingers), not just a sterile workshop build.

This first pic - the raw starting material (awesome bluish ostrich):
Plant Grass Thigh Water Trunk

See less See more
#28 ·
Ooh nice Wrascal, thank goodness the painters didn’t show ! :D😄
Otherwise you would have had to wait all day long to see these
wonders. Which would have been pretty excruciating if I’m being
honest. Which I am. ;) Because let’s face it, the Strapsmith did
a phenomenal job on these straps !! 😮😮 ..I mean every single
detail seems to have been created with perfection in mind. It is
ultra impressive !

You can tell that he is as meticulous as he is talented too sir. Wow,
the workmanship is something to see. And speaking of something
to see, check them out on this Boldr ! :cool: I really don’t think that
things could have turned out any better.

A SPECTACULAR Strapsmith congratulations here sir !!!

#29 ·
I noticed (from the above pics) that I wasn't waterproofed; until I screwed down my crown.
Later on my bride and I went about painting. Come late evening I intentionally wore the Ostrich into the hot water.

I observed that when wet this Ostrich strap changes color (almost black, so typical of many leathers); but now, several hours later its natural color has returned. I don't know if that means anything but I like!

I hope to put some calipers on it tomorrow but off the top of my head I'd say its about 4mm thick; and quite typically very stiff (out of its cloth shipping envelope). The keepers were also a very snug fit.

#30 ·
Good catch on the crown sir. 😉 I didn’t even notice that at first.
But it’s great that you caught it. Especially since you were painting
like that. ..I know these watches are waterproof, but imagine if
paint had gotten under the crown?! Or inside the watch?! 😮
Yowza, that could have been trouble. Great catch !

Cool observation on the color of the Ostrich as well sir. 🙂 Really
sounds, or in this case, looks like a tough material. 😎(y)

Keep on enjoying !

#32 ·
Would a shark survive the African savanna?
Would an ostrich survive the deep sea?
To level their capabilities I'm gonna test them in LA (lower Alabama).
The Shark:
Watch Analog watch Photograph Silver Black

The Ostrich:
Watch Analog watch Clock Finger Nickel

Side by side:
Watch Analog watch Light Product Watch accessory

Their stats:
Brown Handwriting Wood Font Book

Other than appearances I believe the two watches are close enough to call identical.

#34 ·
I’m thinking the shark, along with ostrich are are going to be up to
the challenge Wrascal. :D:) ..I mean there is no doubt that they
are really in for it in LA. However, you can tell the craftsmanship is
on an extremely high level, so they should take things in stride. ;)
And they will look sharp doing it. :cool::cool:

Man, who would have thought these Boldrs could look any cooler,
but they are !! ..THX a bunch for the look, along with report !!!

#35 · (Edited)
I am just sitting here, sipping a whiskey and stroking my ostrich leg, ooh she feels good (as my grandfather often said - she's as smooth as a school marms leg). RIP gramps.

Then I noticed another detail, the buckle is signed; so tiny I had to blow it up to see it. I know some folks dislike advertisements but this one isn't intrusive so I like it.
Watch Gesture Finger Everyday carry Clock

EDIT: of course now I needed to compare the two straps so I trapsed to the back of the house and stroked my shark. Satisfying but its not quite as smooth (maybe its her age, I've had the shark for (estimated) 6-8 months.

I won't kick either of them out of my bedroom.

#36 ·
Alright, that’s fantastic right there sir. 🥇🏆

Just like a decorated movement, or signed crown, this is such a nice
little touch. 😀😎 It’s like the Ching on the cake right?! And I honestly
think it’s terrific to see. (y) When someone can do this kind of work,
you want everyone to know it was you. ..It’s like signing your name on
a painting, or any piece of art actually. 😉

THX so so much for magnifying this for us !!!

#37 · (Edited)
Leathers Update:

Something new to report about both the Shark and Ostrich leathers (alternated wear daily):
After a weeks time (plus) swimming in warm salt water (Jamaica) I observed these two anomalies:

1. One shark strap keeper came apart (I was able to retrieve it). I've since spoken to Micah (Vintager Straps) and told him I don't expect a new strap for this failure; he says send it all back and he'll repair it. His remarkable guarantee is that he would replace the entire strap, overkill for this minor failure.

2. The blue Ostrich strap bled, it left a sickly grayish color around my wrist. The strap itself still looks good to me.

Both buckles shrugged off the salt water.

My girlfriend liked the blue ostrich best, my bride has no opinion (shhhhh); so many island beauties for this old man.

#38 ·
Leathers Update:

Something new to report about both the Shark and Ostrich leathers (alternated wear daily):
After a weeks time (plus) swimming in warm salt water (Jamaica) I observed these two anomalies:

1. One shark strap keeper came apart (I was able to retrieve it). I've since spoken to Micah (Vintager Straps) and told him I don't expect a new strap for this failure; he says send it all back and he'll repair it. His remarkable guarantee is that he would replace the entire strap, overkill for this minor failure.

2. The blue Ostrich strap bled, it left a sickly grayish color around my wrist. The strap itself still looks good to me.

Both buckles shrugged off the salt water.

My girlfriend liked the blue ostrich best, my bride has no opinion (shhhhh); too many island beauties for this old man.
Wrascal, thank you for the update on the performance of the strap, I need the feedback to keep my straps evolving and always getting better. I would assume the grayish color that bled onto the wrist is from the black leather backing and this could "probably" be fixed by applying a thin layer of waterproofing conditioner to the inside of the strap. I would not worry about the bleeding of the strap affecting the durability.

#41 ·
Todays mailing indicates that my shark repairs (keeper) have been made and she's being returned.
Monday (or maybe Tues) she'll be back in the game. Earlier today I was wearing (and admiring) its (young) primary competitor, in blue ostrich; she's a beauty.

I've selected my bedmate for the night, my Odyssey Freediver - with a metal bracelette. She's very sexy in the daylight, not so spicy after dark.

#42 · (Edited)
It's going to be great having the shark back in action Wrascal, but it
sounds like the ostrich, along with all of your other great straps, and
bracelets have things thoroughly under control. (y) I hope the shark
doesn't get jealous when it gets back. 🦈😊..But seriously, it has to
be just terrific having all of these options like this straps wise ! 🏆

First you have all of the styles of straps, which is yet another exciting
branch of this hobby. And then you have the way in which those
straps can transform watches into something different each time.
With each different strap, it's like you almost have a new watch. 😮😎

THX a ton for this latest update !!!

#43 ·
I've now received my shark strap / the keeper has been replaced ...
and he even made an additional (requested) change: I asked him to swap out the shiny buckle for a blasted one.

NO CHARGE.

#46 ·
It’s strange how cameras can’t always capture all the details we see I
person right Wrascal?! 😲 It might be a color, or a feel for the size, or
dimensions of something. But it’s often difficult to get that feel of what
a watch. Or in this case, a strap color is like in person. 😉

In any case, it still looks fantastic from here no matter what ! 😎

#47 ·
Something I've noticed about straps is the keepers stretch out. When new they are a tight fit but as they age they start slipping off, retaining nothing.

Somewhere in my pile I have a cheap leather that doesn't have this problem, why? Because its sewn in. I approve of this approach.

Any strap builders care to comment as to why its done this way?

#48 ·
Something I've noticed about straps is the keepers stretch out. When new they are a tight fit but as they age they start slipping off, retaining nothing.

Somewhere in my pile I have a cheap leather that doesn't have this problem, why? Because its sewn in. I approve of this approach.

Any strap builders care to comment as to why its done this way?
When I am building a strap I tend to build my straps a little thicker than your typical off the shelf strap. Due to the thickness of the strap it can stress the strap unnecessarily folding over a buckle and tucking into the keeper that is sewn in close to the buckle, shortening the straps overall life. This is particularly relevant when repurposing old vintage military leathers or baseball gloves which I do a lot of. On top of this a sewn in keeper is usually looser than a floating keeper, the reason the sewn in keeper seems to hold better is it is not tighter than the floating keeper it is just locked it place not allowing the keeper to slide off of the back.

I can build any strap I have available with a sewn in keeper at no extra charge. There is a "customizations" area of the ordering process for all of my custom built straps to include any of these special requests. If you would be willing to send me the strap I have made for you I can remake the buckle end with one keeper sewn in. No charge for this service as you may not have known this was possible from the beginning.

(asterisk) This is only my experience with strap building and should not be considered "the way it is" I am constantly trying to learn more and keep my craft evolving. 😉

#49 ·
I'm sure there is merit in what you say; but it is aggravating when the end comes loose because the keepers are huddling at the other end. Once I superglued a keeper in place (rubber strap) and so far its worked fine.

I appreciate your offer SS but I'm not giving this ostrich lady away, she's MINE.

#50 ·
Attention Strapsmith ... earlier today I left you a message.

I'm looking for a quick 22mm strap and observed you may have one that'll work (coincidentally in Cobolt Blue Ostrich). Is she related to the 20mm strap you made for me?

My new Hamilton Khaki needs a better strap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.