Watch Freeks banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

Watch Freek
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Todays mailing indicates that my shark repairs (keeper) have been made and she's being returned.
Monday (or maybe Tues) she'll be back in the game. Earlier today I was wearing (and admiring) its (young) primary competitor, in blue ostrich; she's a beauty.

I've selected my bedmate for the night, my Odyssey Freediver - with a metal bracelette. She's very sexy in the daylight, not so spicy after dark.

Super Moderator
It's going to be great having the shark back in action Wrascal, but it
sounds like the ostrich, along with all of your other great straps, and
bracelets have things thoroughly under control. (y) I hope the shark
doesn't get jealous when it gets back. 馃馃槉..But seriously, it has to
be just terrific having all of these options like this straps wise ! 馃弳

First you have all of the styles of straps, which is yet another exciting
branch of this hobby. And then you have the way in which those
straps can transform watches into something different each time.
With each different strap, it's like you almost have a new watch. 馃槷馃槑

THX a ton for this latest update !!!

Watch Freek
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I've now received my shark strap / the keeper has been replaced ...
and he even made an additional (requested) change: I asked him to swap out the shiny buckle for a blasted one.

NO CHARGE.

Super Moderator
It鈥檚 strange how cameras can鈥檛 always capture all the details we see I
person right Wrascal?! 馃槻 It might be a color, or a feel for the size, or
dimensions of something. But it鈥檚 often difficult to get that feel of what
a watch. Or in this case, a strap color is like in person. 馃槈

In any case, it still looks fantastic from here no matter what ! 馃槑

Watch Freek
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Something I've noticed about straps is the keepers stretch out. When new they are a tight fit but as they age they start slipping off, retaining nothing.

Somewhere in my pile I have a cheap leather that doesn't have this problem, why? Because its sewn in. I approve of this approach.

Any strap builders care to comment as to why its done this way?

Vendor
Something I've noticed about straps is the keepers stretch out. When new they are a tight fit but as they age they start slipping off, retaining nothing.

Somewhere in my pile I have a cheap leather that doesn't have this problem, why? Because its sewn in. I approve of this approach.

Any strap builders care to comment as to why its done this way?
When I am building a strap I tend to build my straps a little thicker than your typical off the shelf strap. Due to the thickness of the strap it can stress the strap unnecessarily folding over a buckle and tucking into the keeper that is sewn in close to the buckle, shortening the straps overall life. This is particularly relevant when repurposing old vintage military leathers or baseball gloves which I do a lot of. On top of this a sewn in keeper is usually looser than a floating keeper, the reason the sewn in keeper seems to hold better is it is not tighter than the floating keeper it is just locked it place not allowing the keeper to slide off of the back.

I can build any strap I have available with a sewn in keeper at no extra charge. There is a "customizations" area of the ordering process for all of my custom built straps to include any of these special requests. If you would be willing to send me the strap I have made for you I can remake the buckle end with one keeper sewn in. No charge for this service as you may not have known this was possible from the beginning.

(asterisk) This is only my experience with strap building and should not be considered "the way it is" I am constantly trying to learn more and keep my craft evolving. 馃槈

Watch Freek
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I'm sure there is merit in what you say; but it is aggravating when the end comes loose because the keepers are huddling at the other end. Once I superglued a keeper in place (rubber strap) and so far its worked fine.

I appreciate your offer SS but I'm not giving this ostrich lady away, she's MINE.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts