Watch Freeks banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Watch Freek
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Glad you like it Trip.

I received an email yesterday saying the strap was finished but too late to go out the same day.
Tracking number provided with the note advising he uses 3 day shipping.

So counting, Wed, Thur, Friday. Or maybe Sat, depending on how the post office counts days.

·
Watch Freek
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
As Gomer Pyle would say: Surprise. I received notice that its being delivered today.

I've been tied up with bathroom renovations so may not even open it up until this evening.

·
Long Time Member
375 Posts
As Gomer Pyle would say: Surprise. I received notice that its being delivered today.

I've been tied up with bathroom renovations so may not even open it up until this evening.
For sure don’t open it and handle it until you dust yourself off, shower and make sure adhesives, caulk and grout is off your hands. That would suck to open it and dirty it up on the opening of the package.

·
Super Moderator
18,313 Posts
Ooh nice Wrascal, thank goodness the painters didn’t show ! :D😄
Otherwise you would have had to wait all day long to see these
wonders. Which would have been pretty excruciating if I’m being
honest. Which I am. ;) Because let’s face it, the Strapsmith did
a phenomenal job on these straps !! 😮😮 ..I mean every single
detail seems to have been created with perfection in mind. It is
ultra impressive !

You can tell that he is as meticulous as he is talented too sir. Wow,
the workmanship is something to see. And speaking of something
to see, check them out on this Boldr ! :cool: I really don’t think that
things could have turned out any better.

A SPECTACULAR Strapsmith congratulations here sir !!!

·
Watch Freek
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I noticed (from the above pics) that I wasn't waterproofed; until I screwed down my crown.
Later on my bride and I went about painting. Come late evening I intentionally wore the Ostrich into the hot water.

I observed that when wet this Ostrich strap changes color (almost black, so typical of many leathers); but now, several hours later its natural color has returned. I don't know if that means anything but I like!

I hope to put some calipers on it tomorrow but off the top of my head I'd say its about 4mm thick; and quite typically very stiff (out of its cloth shipping envelope). The keepers were also a very snug fit.

·
Super Moderator
18,313 Posts
Good catch on the crown sir. 😉 I didn’t even notice that at first.
But it’s great that you caught it. Especially since you were painting
like that. ..I know these watches are waterproof, but imagine if
paint had gotten under the crown?! Or inside the watch?! 😮
Yowza, that could have been trouble. Great catch !

Cool observation on the color of the Ostrich as well sir. 🙂 Really
sounds, or in this case, looks like a tough material. 😎(y)

Keep on enjoying !

·
Watch Freek
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
She (ostrich) helped me paint today, later we soaked in the tub.

I put some calipers on her, she's thick.
Along multiple spots, all thicker than 4mm - at some points over 5mm.
Fat bottomed girls (make the rocket world go round).

·
Watch Freek
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Would a shark survive the African savanna?
Would an ostrich survive the deep sea?
To level their capabilities I'm gonna test them in LA (lower Alabama).
The Shark:
Watch Analog watch Photograph Silver Black

The Ostrich:
Watch Analog watch Clock Finger Nickel

Side by side:
Watch Analog watch Light Product Watch accessory

Their stats:
Brown Handwriting Wood Font Book

Other than appearances I believe the two watches are close enough to call identical.

·
Super Moderator
18,313 Posts
I’m thinking the shark, along with ostrich are are going to be up to
the challenge Wrascal. :D:) ..I mean there is no doubt that they
are really in for it in LA. However, you can tell the craftsmanship is
on an extremely high level, so they should take things in stride. ;)
And they will look sharp doing it. :cool::cool:

Man, who would have thought these Boldrs could look any cooler,
but they are !! ..THX a bunch for the look, along with report !!!

·
Watch Freek
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
I am just sitting here, sipping a whiskey and stroking my ostrich leg, ooh she feels good (as my grandfather often said - she's as smooth as a school marms leg). RIP gramps.

Then I noticed another detail, the buckle is signed; so tiny I had to blow it up to see it. I know some folks dislike advertisements but this one isn't intrusive so I like it.
Watch Gesture Finger Everyday carry Clock

EDIT: of course now I needed to compare the two straps so I trapsed to the back of the house and stroked my shark. Satisfying but its not quite as smooth (maybe its her age, I've had the shark for (estimated) 6-8 months.

I won't kick either of them out of my bedroom.

·
Super Moderator
18,313 Posts
Alright, that’s fantastic right there sir. 🥇🏆

Just like a decorated movement, or signed crown, this is such a nice
little touch. 😀😎 It’s like the Ching on the cake right?! And I honestly
think it’s terrific to see. (y) When someone can do this kind of work,
you want everyone to know it was you. ..It’s like signing your name on
a painting, or any piece of art actually. 😉

THX so so much for magnifying this for us !!!

·
Watch Freek
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
Leathers Update:

Something new to report about both the Shark and Ostrich leathers (alternated wear daily):
After a weeks time (plus) swimming in warm salt water (Jamaica) I observed these two anomalies:

1. One shark strap keeper came apart (I was able to retrieve it). I've since spoken to Micah (Vintager Straps) and told him I don't expect a new strap for this failure; he says send it all back and he'll repair it. His remarkable guarantee is that he would replace the entire strap, overkill for this minor failure.

2. The blue Ostrich strap bled, it left a sickly grayish color around my wrist. The strap itself still looks good to me.

Both buckles shrugged off the salt water.

My girlfriend liked the blue ostrich best, my bride has no opinion (shhhhh); so many island beauties for this old man.

·
Vendor
13 Posts
Leathers Update:

Something new to report about both the Shark and Ostrich leathers (alternated wear daily):
After a weeks time (plus) swimming in warm salt water (Jamaica) I observed these two anomalies:

1. One shark strap keeper came apart (I was able to retrieve it). I've since spoken to Micah (Vintager Straps) and told him I don't expect a new strap for this failure; he says send it all back and he'll repair it. His remarkable guarantee is that he would replace the entire strap, overkill for this minor failure.

2. The blue Ostrich strap bled, it left a sickly grayish color around my wrist. The strap itself still looks good to me.

Both buckles shrugged off the salt water.

My girlfriend liked the blue ostrich best, my bride has no opinion (shhhhh); too many island beauties for this old man.
Wrascal, thank you for the update on the performance of the strap, I need the feedback to keep my straps evolving and always getting better. I would assume the grayish color that bled onto the wrist is from the black leather backing and this could "probably" be fixed by applying a thin layer of waterproofing conditioner to the inside of the strap. I would not worry about the bleeding of the strap affecting the durability.

·
Watch Freek
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Today I finally got around to mailing off my Shark for repair; I slapped on a cheap (leather?) strap so I could continue to wear/ alternate the watch. Quickly it became splattered with KILZ paint. That stuff is a bugger to clean off.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts