Watch Freeks banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this puppy up today to round out my Seiko collection, Everyone say’s if you collect Seiko’s you have to have some version of the SKX in the stable.

While I like the look of the 007 and the 009, I just liked the rectangle markers on the 173 better then the “Blobs” on the other models.

Well I snuck it home and threw it on a black and gray Clockwork-Synergy RAF Nato. Looks great, but I can’t tip my hand right now taking photos in front of the boss. So this stock net photo will have to do, although the numerals on the bezel on mine are different, the usual 10 thru 50.

It’s not too big at 42mm X 13mm and it looks like it should cost about 3 times more then it does.

I have an Orient Blue Ray and I think this is a more solid watch, the Blue Ray’s movement sounds like a bag of rattling bolts when it’s winding, so far the Seikos doesn’t.

An in-depth report to follow.

·
1,399 Posts
Well congrats. The 173 was my first dive watch. Bought it in 1998 and it's still worn regularly.

·
Banned
754 Posts
Congrats ! I'd take that over the Orient you mentioned in a heartbeat. Plus the straps and bracelet options are endless. Do you plan to get a strapcode bracelet that fits the case perfectly ?

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congrats ! I'd take that over the Orient you mentioned in a heartbeat. Plus the straps and bracelet options are endless. Do you plan to get a strapcode bracelet that fits the case perfectly ?
I have a Staib mesh that wlll fit this very nicely

Reactions: Luis Alfonso III

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's the SKX173 on a RAF Nato strap, next to my new Tisell Marine Dive on black Perlon strap.

Both great watches. I'm especially impressed with the Tisell which is running +-0 seconds a day, the SKX173 is running -7 seconds over three days, which isn't very shabby either.

Reactions: Weezy

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update on the SKX173.

The watch had a wide accuracy swing, going from -7 to +1 then when I would shake it up in the morning to charge it up it would jump to a +17 seconds after I stopped shaking it??

Well the movement seems to have settle in now and isn't having any jumps when shaken to wind it up. It has stayed consistent, running +15.

But since I have not reset the watch in ten days, the equates to an average of +1.5 seconds a day, that's better then my Sub ever ran.

We shall see if this continues?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
While I like the look of the 007 and the 009, I just liked the rectangle markers on the 173 better then the “Blobs” on the other models
I wouldnt go as far as to call them blobs but i do like the rectangle look better. IMO it has a bit more vintage look to it.

Good addition to any collection. Congrats!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts