Saw this on the net

Dollar store umbrella
Cheap Home Depot clip on light
Attached to mic stand or similar item.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

http://www.amazon.com/PBL-Stuido-Reflective-Umbrella-Softbox/dp/B001BSQK8Q/ref=pd_sim_p_34

PBL Photo Stuido 40" Reflective Umbrella Softbox by PBL

$24.50

This new 40" Reflective Softbox Umbrellas will give you very soft, even lighting. Sets up just like an umbrella. No need to worry about losing parts, one piece unit. Interior is made of silver reflective material. Light is reflected back through white diffusion material that creates very soft light. Fits your strobe/flash just an like a umbrella. Large opening with elastic and zipper that allows this umbrella softbox to fit onto any strobe/flash. Now you can get professional results with every shot. These umbrella softboxes sell for $59 each in professional camera stores. ***NOT ALL AMAZON SELLERS ARE THE SAME *We have been in business since 1989 *We offer 100% risk-free guarantee on all products we sell *There is never a re-stocking fee for returns *Hassle-free 30 day return policy *Full service repair center THIS IS THE STEVE KAESER ADVANTAGE

·
Registered
922 Posts
imported post

that amazon option is pretty good. thanks for posting that link.

·
Registered
185 Posts
imported post

STEVE KAESER also sells on eBay. I have found him to be on the expensive side.

Umbrellas do soften light but they also absorb a lot of it so you need powerful lighting to use them.

I've found a light tent to work better for even light with minimal shadows and crystal reflections. You can take a test shot and then reposition the watch to avoid the reflection in the crystal.

Most of my recent pics have been taken with the Nikon SB 800 with a diffuser on it triggered by the built-in flash on my D90 which also wears a diffuser. I use very little other lighting outside the tent with this setup. I do get some hot spots, particularly on shiny bezels but have had great luck with this set-up.

Always use a tripod and always use f8 or f11 to get the clearest shots because most lens' best resolution is at those apertures. Use smaller apertures (bigger #) if you are shooting a watch with subdials, hands and markers at different distances from the crystal for greater depth of field (which requires even brighter lights).

Extra pics are cheap; all you have to do is delete them. Missing a shot requires setting up all over again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.