Watch Freeks banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several family photo albums that I want to digitize. What is the best (better) format to save them in ? Looking to restore the pic's at a later date.

TIA

·
Registered
8,145 Posts
I'm working with this company currently to digitize 25 rolls of APS film.

http://www.scancafe.com/

They also digitize photos and do restoration work.

They have been responsive and have called me twice when I had questions.

Ask for a discount and they'll offer you 10% off.

*The only con is that they are located in Cali but much of the work is done in India. The quality is great and costs are excellent but there is about 30 days lag time.

PS: I believe COSTCO does this work too.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

PSS: I just found an email of a special they are running:

Place your scanning order of at least $100, by 11:59pm PT, December 1st, 2013

Use code FEAST to instantly get 22% off.

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
I have several family photo albums that I want to digitize. What is the best (better) format to save them in ? Looking to restore the pic's at a later date.

TIA
Uncompressed PNG is good, but if you want to retain the photos EXIF data (not as important if you are scanning images as would be if they were originally taken with a digital camera) TIFF with LZW loss-less compression is best.

Stay away from JPEG as the compression can ruin a high quality scan. TIFF and PNG will take up much more disk space, but if you look to restoring them later it will be worth it.

·
Super Moderator
10,946 Posts
Uncompressed PNG is good, but if you want to retain the photos EXIF data (not as important if you are scanning images as would be if they were originally taken with a digital camera) TIFF with LZW loss-less compression is best.

Stay away from JPEG as the compression can ruin a high quality scan. TIFF and PNG will take up much more disk space, but if you look to restoring them later it will be worth it.

^^this

and i wouldn't send priceless family photos to India. or anywhere, for that matter. too many things get lost in the mail. if you don't have a really good flat bed scanner, i would look into local photo shops or print shops to do the work

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Space was always a consideration, until recently, megadrives, thumbs, etc.etc. As for the camera, I believe they were taken with a 'Brownie Box' ! PNG will work, and provide 'room' for restoration at a later date, I really need to get them digitized as they are fading rapidly, along with the relevent info as to and who what they are. I may choose a select few to send out for 'professionel' restoration.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I do all my own restoration and Photoshopping. I am basically self taught but my friends and family have sent me stuff to fix for years now. If you get a good scanner and a good program you should do well in saving them to send to a place that restores them.

Do you have the original negatives?

I have a Pacific Image Pf7250 negative and slide scanner it is better than scanning the actual photo with the regular desktops scanners. They run about $750.00 I was lucky to score a sales mans demo model that was refurbished with the Factory warranty for less than half that. If I had all my old negative and slides done by a company it would have cost me 100 or more times as much. I saved a boat load doing it on my own and learned a lot. The scanner also has some cool features where is takes out a lot of noise and dust and scratches and it scans at 7200dpi. I haven't used it in a while I forget what other options it has or the program it uses. It's in storage if I see it I'll gran the instructions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts