Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have posted about this before and think it is a real and legitimate issue that should be discussed.

Literally EVERY single watch I have received from a Shopnbc purchase (or any of the online watch retailers for that matter) comes packed poorly.
The watch inside has moved around, shifted out of the spot it supposed to be in, come off the pad, or just outright been bounced around. Has this caused damage, not always BUT IT COULD. (I have personally received 2 watches that have been damaged in shipping)

I have posted multiple times that the watches in these watch boxes need to be packed INSIDE the boxes in bubble rap or something that will not allow them to move around more INSIDE the watch boxes. When shipped the packages are literally thrown around by the shipping companies. While the watch box might fit tightly in the shipping box - the actual watch inside still has a lot of room to move around ... AND IT DOES.

I have received Invicta watches, Stuhrling watches, Renato Watches and Croton watches and the ALL have moved around considerably during shipping. Every box I open the watch is way off to one side or the other, meaning it clearly moved during shipping. I don't want to receive a scratched watch or one that has been jarred repeatedly during its trip to me.

Since we all understand that traditionally these watches would be sold in a traditional brick and mortar store (jewelry store or watch store at a mall, etc) and displayed in a case - this bouncing around would not happen when you purchase one. And if the store received one that had been broken in shipping THEY WOULD NOT PUT IT OUT FOR SALE and only display the ones that are in perfect condition. With ShopNBC the watches are literally bounced and thrown around during shipping before they ever get to us.

For this reason it would make sense that they should put ADDITIONAL packing materials INSIDE THE ACTUAL WATCH BOX to make sure the actual watch does not move when shipped.

When I sell or trade one of my watches privately we WRAP the entire watch in bubble wrap when putting it inside the watch box. We then put additional packing materials INSIDE the watch box to further limit the potential movement of the watch during shipping.

does this take more effort - yes. could it cost a few bucks more - yes. But will it help the watches stay safer during delivery - yes.

Selling on TV/online and then shipping hundreds or thousands of miles to people is still relatively new. I think they need to get much better at protecting the watches they send out.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

I havent had too many issues due to packaging either BUT i agree that they dont come wrapped to good -there could be damage due to this

the Stuhrling i got came in a strap -so it came in a flat SO box -which was fine -no issue but my Invicta's & Croton's have come in the presentation boxes and they are way too loos in there

i think they need to do a mailing box and forget presentation in most cases!!

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

a 50 cent (or much less probably) piece of molded foam would considerably lessen the movement of the watches inside the display boxes.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

I have mixed experiences with watches arriving "seated" in their slots or on their pillows.

It takes such little time and effort to place packing material INSIDE of the actual watch box.

I do this every time I sell/ship a watch, and it takes a whole freekin' 5-10 seconds to do. If it costs me $.05 in materials, I'd be shocked!

However, the potential consequences of NOT doing this are costly and frustrating to all involved.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
imported post

I also agree that watches bounce around in there presentation boxes. I received one watch that I sent back and its now been two months and many phone calls and I still dont have it back. The money spent on boxes could be better used on packaging. I keep my watches in a watch box holding 12 to 24 watches. I never keep them in a presentation box. to me they are a waste of money.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
imported post

Hi James,I have to agree 100 per cent. Bubble wrap cannot be that expensive when bought in bulk. As you mentioned in a brick and motor store they would not sell a watch damaged to them in shipping. Why should we the customer, who in many cases have to pay for the watch to be shipped, have to put up withwatches that are not properly secured in the display box. ....Bob

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

I couldn't agree more. I have to say that my Helix was packaged very good when it arrived yesterday and my Accutron it came very snug as well. With that being said I have to say that most of my watchs have arrived in the conditions you described. It really irritates me when a watch arrives like this.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
imported post

I have found that the best packed watches I have ever got have been those I have bought from other collectors...My Anonimo Polluce was like a mummy wrapped up in its little tomb....Others as well. The Ball i just got was super snug inside of 2 other boxes....Seems we collectors just care more about this and thus wrap our stuff better when sending out to others...

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

I have recieved a lot more of these watches then I care to admit from Shop, Wow and a few others, and yes they have beed unseated from their Original resting place but no issues with damage or anything else. They dont have a lot of room to travel in there, so I really dont see the issue actually. I mean I can see your point, but I am sure the numbers dont lie. If Shop or Invicta or anyone else saw a bunch of damage because of this, financially it would be a good move to change. That really has not happened so, my guess is, it isnt really an issue.

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

Ditto Eric! Everything from other enthusiasts is always packed better! Many of the "distributors" rely on the just the box but fail to understand that the box is a retail vehicle and not a "shipping container".

Good post James.

CJ

ericf4 wrote:
I have found that the best packed watches I have ever got have been those I have bought from other collectors...My Anonimo Polluce was like a mummy wrapped up in its little tomb....Others as well. The Ball i just got was super snug inside of 2 other boxes....Seems we collectors just care more about this and thus wrap our stuff better when sending out to others...

·
Banned
556 Posts
imported post

I get about 150 in a year.There is a huge problem with how these are packaged.just because so far the odds have been in your favor doesn't mean its in everyones favor.That small movement? its not small at all.It only takes .25 of an inch to destroy a watch, even in its box.Its called secondary impact.While the carton takes the hit, the watch inside the box, becuse its not secured got nailed with twice the force as the carton did.you need proof, here it is.secondary impact results. shoei helmet,x-11.

best helmet on the planet.

The shell didn't have a mark on it, but the inside got crushed.its designed that way.

if you have just alittle movement inside the helmet with this type of impact, your dead.By the way.Thats my helmet.I survived but ruptured 4 discs.Its not the 1st impact that does the damage.its the movement of the object inside, the secondary impact that does the final damage.while your watch might look undamaged even though it was bumped, then a week later it stops, whats the real cause? it got whacked during shipping.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

Wow some scientific study must have been done on the actual Impact force of throwing a box in the back of a truck vs a motorcycle helmet in a crash. You have got to be kidding me, come on why dont we compare the actual impact fusion of Powder inside of a Venturi, vs the Impact fusion of powder in application form.

I have no problem with you theory, however I think you could come up with a better comparison then that!!!

Wow!

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

Ron - I think my point was the potential for damage. ALL of the watches I have ever received that were damaged and had to be sent back were completely upside down, or out of their holding places in the boxes. These boxes were never intended for mailing like what is being done now. They were traditionally shipped to a store and then displayed in a case - not shipped another 500 or 1000 miles to someone.

I believe that a new packaging for this type of sales should be considered or made for the future of watch sales like this. If you buy a $1000 watch I would want it shipped in an unmoving package or box that would assure it was padded on all sides and could not move.

I agree with Eric above that every watch I have received from another collector was packaged so tightly and well that nothing could happen to it in transit.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

Oh I agree with you, and like I stated I have yet to receive one that was damaged. I have had them moved around, as you have stated but yet to see one damged because of it.

Also the Material inside the box is not hard, and is quite plush inside.

However for someone to make a crazy comparison to a package being tossed around vs a Motorcycle helmet in a crash is a bit out there PERIOD!!!
TVDinner wrote:
Ron - I think my point was the potential for damage. ALL of the watches I have ever received that were damaged and had to be sent back were completely upside down, or out of their holding places in the boxes. These boxes were never intended for mailing like what is being done now. They were traditionally shipped to a store and then displayed in a case - not shipped another 500 or 1000 miles to someone.

I believe that a new packaging for this type of sales should be considered or made for the future of watch sales like this. If you buy a $1000 watch I would want it shipped in an unmoving package or box that would assure it was padded on all sides and could not move.

I agree with Eric above that every watch I have received from another collector was packaged so tightly and well that nothing could happen to it in transit.

·
Registered
514 Posts
imported post

. . . actually Sean's comparison is spot on.

I have personally experienced the very same fact that he has. I was stunned the next time I put the same helmet on that I had worn during a major get off. I had checked my helmet out and it also didn't have a mark on it, but it fit like a loose broken egg shell! That's when I realized the impact had compacted and distorted the interior. I was so sore from all the other injuries that the head aches didn't even register in my thinking.

A watch bouncing in the box takes a hell of a secondary impact, doubling the effect . . . . factor the force over to the tiny scale of the parts involved, and they really don't stand a chance . . .

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

Tell you what I am going too do, I am going to see if I can barrow a video Camera. I am going to package my Automatic Octopuz in its Original Box, I am going to put it in a Shop NBC box, and I am going to drop it off of My Roof which is at About 18' of the ground. How much money does anyone want to bet me that the watch will still be running when I open the Box?

·
Banned
556 Posts
imported post

I think its very valid ron.put the watch in the box and drop it onto the floor.watch what the watch does.While the box stops, the watch takes that impact and moves twice as fast and then has a sudden stop.force multiplies.while the helmet is to the extreme, it shows secondary impact.

this watch was inside a very soft case.look at the shipping damage,

while you might not have had it happen to you, it does happen.Thats the whole point here.When its no longer an opinion, some still feel the need to have one.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

So you know that is wasnt due to something else besides Packaging? You can have an opinion, but I would hope that it is it has been well thought out. And by the way what is the multiplication increase of the force? And what where the forces.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.