Watch Freeks banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need some help choosing a Mako XL. Decided to expand my “beater” category of my collection.
Already have a Blue Ray Orient and love the looks and the bang for buck quality.

Now I am interested in the Mako XL line, I love the looks of the orange bezel model, but from photos the dial appears to be an uninspiring flat matte black. The all black model appears to be a better contrast with the matte dial. Last one is the blue dial. It appears on the photos to be a lighter color blue then what is on the Blue Ray.

I like the shade of blue on the Blue Ray, indoors it appears almost black, yet our doors shows a deep navy blue with slight sunburst effect.
Does anyonw out their own both the Blue Ray and the Mako XL Blue? How to they match up, or should I just roll the dice and go with the orange bezel one?

P.S. The first thing I intend to do is ditch the crappy bracelet on the watch and throw a nice mesh or Hirsch WR strap on it.

·
13,287 Posts
Black is my choice. Goes with anything and to me a beater had better be versatile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
I owned the Mako XL for a while and really liked it. And as a beater for me I did not take off the OEM bracelet.

I would go with the black one. can be worn with more options then the other 2 in my opinion.

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
orange and a black/orange combo Hirsch would be my choice
I'm starting to lean towards that choice, as I have many, many blue and black bezel/dial watches. Problem is, an XL length Hirsch Grand Duke waterproof alligator with orange stitching costs almost 1/2 the price of the watch, $74.

·
Registered
957 Posts
This combo gets my vote Chaz.......Killer.

·
3,979 Posts
Chazman:
Have you seen the creame colored dial Orient XL at Long Island?
IMO it blows away any other dial color. Talked to Marc at L I. Still
have a few left. CEM 7500 series.

X traindriver Art

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
i own the ORIENT BLUE RAY

got it from LIW on plastic w/flipper logo-

modded it on to DIVAS NATO steel blue that came as swag from GNOMON with a STEINHART-

sometimes you just have 1 too many black dials...my BLUE RAY is go to when i just don't want the responsibility of a bunch of C notes strapped to my wrist but want that rollie look-

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah Oh! You guys did it to me with these last two photos, I already have the Staib mesh awaiting it, and that Nato looks sweet too. Funny, I never liked the looks of a Nato, but maybe I will try out one on this watch.

This Nato is great also

·
Registered
279 Posts
Chazman:
Have you seen the creame colored dial Orient XL at Long Island?
IMO it blows away any other dial color. Talked to Marc at L I. Still
have a few left. CEM 7500 series.

X traindriver Art
Are you are talking about the lume dial? It looks really great in normal lighting (a rich cream color). It goes well with any business casual attire. I own one and I'm a big fan.

I could see how someone might think the lume dial is a gimmicky novelty and not something that a serious adult could wear, but nothing could be further from the truth. It is a great looking beater.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts