Watch Freeks banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Well my Orange Monster arrived yesterday. After my 24 hours test period I decided to size the beautiful bracelet on this timepiece. I have sized about 100 bracelets in the past year alone. I have sized cheap bracelets all the way up to the high end multi link ones. All this sizing has been done with my Android tool kit. Never had one problem until today.

Well I took out my punch tools that I alwaysuse. I set my bracelet in the holder. I took out my jewelers hammer and tapped on it three times in the correct direction as indicatedon the arrows of the bracelet. Well my first punch tool gets stuck mid-way. No big deal this has happended before. Well I start attempting topull it back out and determine that it is stuck. Not just kind of stuck, but very stuck. Well I apply a little more elbow grease and then the pin comes outof the puch tool. Well now I start to see that I have a problem. I then grab my vice grips and attempt to get it out and nothing.

I move to my second punch tool to try and free it from theotherside. Now the same thing happens with it as well. Now I have my punch tool pins sticking out of both sides. I then take vice grips to both sides and both the pins break on both sides. Well the pins have forever found a new home in the link. Luckily I am able to work around this and size it by using my thirdpunch tool, this time with more caution. Well I get it sized and then my third tool breaks. Ugh!!

I was able tofinally get thebraceletsized, but now my most valuable and used tools in this kit are broken. In addition to broken tools my bracelet took some nice beating and is now pretty scratched up near those links. I have 2 more watches enroute and I have no tools to size the bracelets. I think I will be going to the jewelerfor these newwatches. This bracelet uses the most unusual friction pins. Each side of the pin has a tension wrap that expands if you pull inthe opposite direction.

I posted this in theWatch School 101 forumnot claiming that I'm an expert in sizing bracelets because obviously I'm not. I posted this here to anybody else that thinks about sizing this particular bracelet with an Android Tool Kit. Don't waste your time or money on this one. Take it to a jeweler that has the right tools. As for me I will have to try and find some more tools to use in the future. Good luck to anybody else with this bracelet.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

Wow, never heard of that problem before. Sorry you scratched it up. The tools are cheap but the bracelet is expensive. I hope you figure something out.

The Professional's Choice Pin Punch Set
Our most popular selling set of pin punches to retail jewelers. Three sizes, 0.70 mm, 0.80 mm and 1.0 mm. Pin punches are held in place by set screws and refill punch tips are available

$14.95

http://www.ofrei.com/page237.html

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

Thank you for the info and heads up.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Spaceview wrote:
Wow, never heard of that problem before. Sorry you scratched it up. The tools are cheap but the bracelet is expensive. I hope you figure something out.

The Professional's Choice Pin Punch Set
Our most popular selling set of pin punches to retail jewelers. Three sizes, 0.70 mm, 0.80 mm and 1.0 mm. Pin punches are held in place by set screws and refill punch tips are available

$14.95

http://www.ofrei.com/page237.html
I just ordered this item Marc. Thanks for the heads up. This looks perfect.

·
Registered
298 Posts
imported post

I had the same problem - but my tools were the cheap kind so I didn't miss them. I finally took mine into my watch guy and he had the parts necessary to fix the bracelet and get it sized correctly in 5 mintues. This watch is the first one I have found that has this system. He told me he thinks Seiko did this just be different because most of their other wathes don't use this system.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

Don't get me wrong guys. This watch rocks big time. One of my favorites. Just read the instructions provided in this thread before sizing the bracelet. I was able to size it the right way and it looks great. It sweeps very smoothly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.