Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am asking for opinions to help me make up my mind. I am currently in the scouting phase of buying another watch, and have narrowed it down to 2. I know ultimately, no one can tell me what I like or don't, and I am going to make the decision, but I value the opinions here, and I am looking for insights I may not have thought of. It is between the Seiko Sumo and the Boschett Harpoon. I am thinking white Harpoon and black Sumo. I like the idea of the blue Sumo but I have not been blown away by the shade of blue in pics online, and you can't go wrong with black. I really like the idea of the white lume dial on the Harpoon, and the multiple bezels to change it up a little. If I go for the Sumo, I am going to get a super engineer bracelet to go with it, so the price will be pretty close between the two. I Love Seikos, and own 3 (2 7s26 and one Kinetic). I think the difficulty comes in the movements. I don't own any Myota 91xx's, and I like the idea of the higher frequency movement, but I know the Seiko movement is quality even if it is a lower bpm. Any insights would be appreciated.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Higher frequency typically just means just more wear on the parts rather than any discernible difference in accuracy or smoothness in sweeping motion. Therefore as you stated, its only the 'idea' of having it that you'll be getting.

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
If I were choosing between these 2....I'd buy the Sumo. I owned the Harpoon and while it was a very well made watch, it was too large.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the movement, I have a eta 2824 which is pretty similar to the 9100, and a few 7s26's, and I can definitely see the difference in sweep, but I agree %100 on the wear. As for size, I think the specs put the Sumo at 44mm and the Harpoon at 45mm, the size isn't a concern to me really, but since you owned the Harpoon, I value what you say about the size, I know a watch can wear bigger than its measurement would imply. Thanks for taking the time to give your input.

Reactions: Pallet Spoon

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Personally I think the Harpoon is a lot of watch for the money. I also feel the smoothness of the second hand is a noticeable difference but YMMV. While I am sure I am in the minority I find most of Seiko's styling quite pedestrian.

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
This is a hard call for sure. In this case I'd take the Boschett. If you have a stable of Seiko watches then I'd go for the variety and add the Harpoon. It is a fantastic watch from a great boutique brand.

Reactions: bapackerfan

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for all the opinions. I think, deep down I like the Harpoon best at the moment. I have many black dialed divers, and that full lume dial really does call to me. If anybody has any more to add, I would love to hear from you. All the Harpoon pics from Tattoo Chef and Pallet Spoon were almost not playing fair. How could someone resist afyer seeing those. Thanks for posting them.

Reactions: Pallet Spoon

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
I love all my Seikos, and had a Boschett Reef Ranger that I ultimately flipped because the dial was too shiny a blue color. The Blumo's subdued blue is more versatile since it almost looks black when not in direct daylight.

That being said, the Harpoon with the white dial would be a real head turner, and the Miyota 9010 movement is the real deal.

I would go Harpoon!

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
You've narrowed it down to two great, can't lose options. Good choices for sure. I didn't search it, how much $ difference is there?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I'd have to agree and go with the Harpoon. It's a great albeit chunky watch.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You've narrowed it down to two great, can't lose options. Good choices for sure. I didn't search it, how much $ difference is there?
The Harpoon is selling for $650 on Boschett's site, the Sumo I see for around $400 and the super engineer around $100. So the Harpoon is about $150 more. Considering the Harpoon's saphire crystal vs the seiko's Hardlex, I think a pretty even price for both.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd have to agree and go with the Harpoon. It's a great albeit chunky watch.
Personally, I like a bigger watch, the nicest watch in my collection is my Tag Formula one auto, which is 44mm, and not chunky at all, but I do have several 48-50mm divers, so chunky is fine by me. And at 6'4" and 325lbs, a big watch doesnt usually look too big on me.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
If you have a stable of Seiko watches then I'd go for the variety and add the Harpoon. It is a fantastic watch from a great boutique brand.
Totally agree. The Harpoon's got the Sumo beat by a mile when it comes to style points. Add some spice to your collection.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Higher frequency typically just means just more wear on the parts rather than any discernible difference in accuracy or smoothness in sweeping motion. Therefore as you stated, its only the 'idea' of having it that you'll be getting.
I've spoken with three of our watchmakers here about this subject in the past and all three said exactly what you just stated. =)

·
Registered
867 Posts
While many feel 28,800 is a high beat. I feel now that's pretty much the norm and 33,600 or higher is my idea of a high beat rate. So basically I should have read the OP a bit better. =)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone for all of the posts. I have decided to go ahead and get the Harpoon. For a combination of many of the opinions given, I think it is the right watch for me right now. I do not have the biggest collection, 16 watches right now, and I have never sold one that I bought, I just keep them and get another. So, having so many Seikos right now (never a bad thing) I think I am ready for something different, and maybe later I'll add a Sumo anyway, or save for a Marine Master. I am going to order this week, I'll post some pics when it comes in. And maybe get a strap as well, that looked pretty sharp.

Reactions: ganson
1 - 20 of 23 Posts