Watch Freeks banner

141 - 157 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
David is such a common name. Downright ubiquitous (bit like Rolex).

I live in the agricultural countryside of far eastern England -- separated from Frans only by about 80 miles of water. "Yokel" is an old term for a denizen of agricultural countryside, with overtones of "and none to bright" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
David is such a common name. Downright ubiquitous (bit like Rolex).

I live in the agricultural countryside of far eastern England -- separated from Frans only by about 80 miles of water. "Yokel" is an old term for a denizen of agricultural countryside, with overtones of "and none to bright" :rolleyes:

Thank you and added. Like clodhopper or hayseed? :D :D Or in Dutch: Boerenkinkel... You can isolate the word 'boer' which means farmer.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thank you and added. Like clodhopper or hayseed? :D :D Or in Dutch: Boerenkinkel... You can isolate the word 'boer' which means farmer.
Hayseed is American English (we think of it like you think of Afrikaans ;) ).
Clodhopper, though it can also mean "oaf", is mostly used for the large and clumsy footwear used by yokels.
The nearest English synonym for yokel (I think) would be "bumpkin".

I think you must have a word like "yokel" in Dutch, because your neighbours on the other side used to use "Jokel" to mean "Bauerntrampel" :eek:

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Hayseed is American English (we think of it like you think of Afrikaans ;) ).
Clodhopper, though it can also mean "oaf", is mostly used for the large and clumsy footwear used by yokels.
The nearest English synonym for yokel (I think) would be "bumpkin".

I think you must have a word like "yokel" in Dutch, because your neighbours on the other side used to use "Jokel" to mean "Bauerntrampel" :eek:

Yes: boerenkinkel :D Used to describe farmhands that well, lost some marbles along the way :D Or never had enough to start with. Very demeaning of course.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My name is Rob. Friends in college called me Robot because I was in engineering school and had all the answers. I went to school in AZ. Playing Counter-Strike in the ‘90s I used RobotAZ as my username. Got lazy and eventually just typed it Robotaz. Has nothing to do with Taz, which I am called all the time.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Very cool thread Idea and dig reading everyone's story (however, I'm certain I won't remember everyone's real names)

Nickname: DubyaDubyaSF
Real: Wade Wellington

Good friend has always called me Dubya and it's usually taken as screen names, so I adopted the double dubya with my middle initial and SF is for San Francisco, where I live

·
Registered
631 Posts
My name is Dave to most. My online name is one I adopted many years ago. I rode a decently fast sport bike and was a member of a Suzuki forum. I commuted on the night shift. Midnight Rider is a song by the Allman Brothers band. Shrunk down I was going to put it on a tag one day MDNTRDR. Not gonna let them catch the midnight Rider. Or you can call me Dave.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Thank you all, this is the latest interim list:

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Lou Snutt is my user name
But real name is Art Ogle. Known to WF and local law officials.
Lou Snutt was a cartoon character in the USAF Safety magazine.
Perennial screw up USAF aviation mechanic.
40 years as Fireman then Locomotive engineer on 3 RRs.(Couldn't
seem to fit on any RRs more than 20 years)

Art.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Frans, better put it on the list for the 9th time - just in case ;)

I will give Art an honorary position on the list next time! I'm glad he's a member, salt of the earth!

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
I can’t believe I posted that list 11 months ago! But so much has happened, I forgot.

141 - 157 of 157 Posts