Watch Freeks banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Senior Freek
1,491 Posts
Does SWATCH "own" OMEGA now?? Maybe OMEGA was having issues due the the pandemic. You never know what some of these brands would do to stay afloat in the world today. Maybe someone mentioned it but just a thought.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk
In the derailment of the car talk, I'm not sure this question was answered.

Yes, Swacth Group owns Omega. They also own other brands including ETA, Blancpain, Breguet, Glashütte Original, Harry Winston, Longines, Tissot, Mido, Hamilton, Certina, and Rado

Reactions: Lawyer Aidroos

·
Super Moderator
1,709 Posts
In the derailment of the car talk, I'm not sure this question was answered.

Yes, Swacth Group owns Omega. They also own other brands including ETA, Blancpain, Breguet, Glashütte Original, Harry Winston, Longines, Tissot, Mido, Hamilton, Certina, and Rado
Just like Rolex owns Tudor...

Here is the full list:

·
Senior Freek
1,491 Posts
Just like Rolex owns Tudor...

Here is the full list:

I know Rolex owns Tudor. But they're not part of Swatch

·
Watch Freek
Omega Day Date, Raymond Weil(s), Seiko(s) and micro brands.
526 Posts

·
Watch Freek
526 Posts
I am aware, hence why I said "just like Rolex owns Tudor"...
Off topic, but what is your opinion on Titoni? I've added enough Raymond Weils, now I'm thinking to get something at the same price point as RW.

·
Super Moderator
1,709 Posts
Off topic, but what is your opinion on Titoni? I've added enough Raymond Weils, now I'm thinking to get something at the same price point as RW.
To be honest, I had never heard of them until your post the other day. It seems to be a company that miraculously survived the Quartz Crisis in the 70s, and is not one of these "resurrected / stolen valour" brands.

From what I can see, it is a brand that manufactures in Switzerland, but concentrates sales mainly outside of Switzerland / Europe (this is understandable given the stiff competition here). At +/- CHF 1'500 for their diver with their in-house movement, I wonder if they are importing the cases / bracelets from Asia and putting the 60% effort into the movement (sounds likely, but I could be wrong). I have put Palladium (manufacturer of Steinhart) to the test, asking where their bracelets / cases come from, their response is "they are sourced in Switzerland", "sourced" does not mean "made".

Titoni's website claims an in-house movement (which is not available on all of their watches, similar to Oris), which from a branding aspect is "cool". But from a technical side it could cause problems if you need to have a part replaced (this is true of all small brands that manufacture their own in-house movements, and especially true of someone like Dufour where it is all made by hand).

Their other watches (chronograph and dress) use a Sellita or ETA movement.

To me, it is another of the many Swiss brands such as Auguste Reymond that is Swiss Made (with as many parts as are allowed coming from Asia), and being sold outside of Switzerland (for AR, their main market is Russia and Ukraine) where it is easier to compete / trade on the Swiss Made / Swiss Watch branding at the entry level. Their watches are the same price as a Longines of Tissot.

So, their watches look nice and they have put a lot of effort into marketing and opening boutiques in China, but in reality they are just like most of these sort of brands... In reality, nothing special ?

I do not mean that as derogatory, you could argue that about almost any brand once you drill down past the marketing. So, if you like their watches, then by all means buy one. But if you are looking for something unique, well, I would keep looking and doing research.

·
Watch Freek
526 Posts
To be honest, I had never heard of them until your post the other day. It seems to be a company that miraculously survived the Quartz Crisis in the 70s, and is not one of these "resurrected / stolen valour" brands.

From what I can see, it is a brand that manufactures in Switzerland, but concentrates sales mainly outside of Switzerland / Europe (this is understandable given the stiff competition here). At +/- CHF 1'500 for their diver with their in-house movement, I wonder if they are importing the cases / bracelets from Asia and putting the 60% effort into the movement (sounds likely, but I could be wrong). I have put Palladium (manufacturer of Steinhart) to the test, asking where their bracelets / cases come from, their response is "they are sourced in Switzerland", "sourced" does not mean "made".

Titoni's website claims an in-house movement (which is not available on all of their watches, similar to Oris), which from a branding aspect is "cool". But from a technical side it could cause problems if you need to have a part replaced (this is true of all small brands that manufacture their own in-house movements, and especially true of someone like Dufour where it is all made by hand).

Their other watches (chronograph and dress) use a Sellita or ETA movement.

To me, it is another of the many Swiss brands such as Auguste Reymond that is Swiss Made (with as many parts as are allowed coming from Asia), and being sold outside of Switzerland (for AR, their main market is Russia and Ukraine) where it is easier to compete / trade on the Swiss Made / Swiss Watch branding at the entry level. Their watches are the same price as a Longines of Tissot.

So, their watches look nice and they have put a lot of effort into marketing and opening boutiques in China, but in reality they are just like most of these sort of brands... In reality, nothing special ?

I do not mean that as derogatory, you could argue that about almost any brand once you drill down past the marketing. So, if you like their watches, then by all means buy one. But if you are looking for something unique, well, I would keep looking and doing research.
Thank you Sir FBPB. As usual spot on, thoroughly
researched. I liked the month/week marker, it was recommended by the boutique where I booked an airking. I wasn't impressed by their quality, then again Raymond Weil is nowhere on top of the watch pyramid, but I like their finishing.
Body jewelry Orange Wood Pink Tints and shades

here's an example of my daily Weil to court. Self regulated to -0.5 spd, in wearing postions. Keeps the same time whole i play tennis and badminton.

Attachments

·
Watch Freek
526 Posts
@FBPB And no, I will not argue this matter. Entry level luxury is just a taste, like an appetizer, RW is exactly that. I like them for their extensive use of commercial calibres which I can regulate to spot on accuracy for my lifestyle.

But yes, I've since wanted to add a real luxury sport watch, such as an Omega Speedmaster. I don't know how long I'll have to wait for the Airking. Again thank you for your insight, you leave no stone unturned.

·
Watch Freek
526 Posts
"invest billions or their full net worth" well, someone is sliding down a slippery slope to make a point... :p
Point noted Sir. You won. I can't defend a lot of millennials, who Chase frenzied trends.

Back on point to Omega and it's collaborations, here are a few examples enclosed as pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
My brother got me the Mission to the Moon one. I wore it once and now it's in the watch case probably for. along time. It's okay, very lite on the wrist but dont like the velcro strap and not sure if it can be changed out. It is a nice looking piece though.

·
Super Moderator
17,853 Posts
So would you say you were a bit underwhelmed mudfoot?

I mean they look fantastic, but I bet the lightness of it really surprised
you right?! ..All of a sudden you were transported back to being a kid
possibly having a Swatch on the wrist. 🙂 However, because you have
gotten so used to the feel of stainless over the years, it almost felt like
a toy to you I bet. 😉

No matter what though, it’s still really neat that you got one, and even
nicer that your brother thought to get you one. 🏆🥇

Honestly think that they are just meant to be affordable fun tributes to
Omega’s classic, or classics. ..It’s great just yo hear that you got one.
I hope you can enjoy, and thanks very much for sharing the news !!!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
So would you say you were a bit underwhelmed mudfoot?

I mean they look fantastic, but I bet the lightness of it really surprised
you right?! ..All of a sudden you were transported back to being a kid
possibly having a Swatch on the wrist. 🙂 However, because you have
gotten so used to the feel of stainless over the years, it almost felt like
a toy to you I bet. 😉

No matter what though, it’s still really neat that you got one, and even
nicer that your brother thought to get you one. 🏆🥇

Honestly think that they are just meant to be affordable fun tributes to
Omega’s classic, or classics. ..It’s great just yo hear that you got one.
I hope you can enjoy, and thanks very much for sharing the news !!!
Pretty much spot on what you said. It does really look like a Omega save for the Swatch on the dial.

·
Super Moderator
17,853 Posts
Pretty much spot on what you said. It does really look like a Omega save for the Swatch on the dial.
Well it was a lot of fun just hearing that someone has gotten to try one
of these new Omega X Swatches out. 😉🚀🌒You have to be one of
the first people I have heard got one. So I hope you can enjoy it in the
future. (y)

At least you know it will feel very comfortable on the wrist. Plus you
can bet it will be a great conversation piece, or conversation starter.

Enjoy !

61 - 74 of 74 Posts