Watch Freeks banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Watch Freek
Omega Day Date, Raymond Weil(s), Seiko(s) and micro brands.
526 Posts
Firstly, I think these are really cool. Quartz chronographs are, in my opinion, totally underrated.

I think this is a huge move for Swatch. I don’t understand what Omega gets out of it other than, I suppose, huge mindshare. Will this dilute Omegas brand? I dunno. Maybe? Do they care? Getting more people out there wearing an entry level Omega is still Omega being out there. That can’t count for nothing.

WR is really low, but I don’t know if I care. Won’t wear it in the pool but I wouldn’t wear my speedy it either.

I don’t like the Velcro strap AT ALL. swap it out for a nice strap and I think your in business.
Or a bioceramic bracelet colored to the care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indeed, a good rotational beater. Quartz chrono are far more accurate than mechanical. And cheaper to replace vs a single service on mechanical counterparts.

·
Watch Freek
526 Posts
I'm sorry, but this is brand dilution... A quartz Omega / Swatch that is actually just a Swatch.. I am not sure what they are aiming for here, maybe to bring younger people into Omega via Swatch, but eh..... This is how you cheapen a brand image.
Mercedes-Benz did the same with their entry level cars. Class A and B, specifically, did you forget the pickup Class X? Class A and B have engines from Renault, it's just a MB badge on top. Class X was all Nissan with an MB badge. Marketing works. Brands are out there to profit not serve us. This will make omega and swatch popular again, and make people want the real Speedmaster. It had that affect on me. I went to the boutique to check out the real Speedmaster in stainless.

·
Watch Freek
526 Posts
Brand dilution as I understand it is when a company creates something new that doesn’t sync well with their brand and which ends up costing them in the long run mostly by a diminished brand image as you mention.

Who remembers (or can forget) the Microsoft phone, Dr Pepper BBQ Sauce, Cadbury's Smash, Harley Davidson perfume and ...? Pretty epic failures imo for those company's who's brand image remain strong in their respective market places. People forget and move on because they like most other things that the brand represents and Omega is a very strong brand and is generally well liked. It may well not be the case for smaller enterprises who cannot afford to take such a knock.

The jury's out on this one but can't see it doing Omega any harm. In fact it could well be the contrary.

Edit: Everywhere one looks, this release appears to have caused unprecedented hype and excitement not seen in quite some time. So much for the demise of conventional horology
Have you tried out Omega's sunglasses, they are very well made frames. Limited quantities are sold here.

·
Super Moderator
17,853 Posts
Bored of Seiko line up. Seiko 5's unreliable accuracy. This eta housed in a poor man's Speedmaster is my go to beater. 30 meter water resistance is very low. My dress line Raymond Weils have 50m now.

It really is a fun watch Sir Layer Aidroos, or rather watches. 😀
Plus you have the refreshing idea behind the MoonSwatch,
which is an affordable Moonwatch. 😲

Who would have ever thought it possible?! ..It almost feels
like something that brands would have tried back in the 60's,
70's, or 80's. But thankfully Omega, and Swatch are doing it
today. (y)(y)

·
Super Moderator
1,709 Posts
Mercedes-Benz did the same with their entry level cars. Class A and B, specifically, did you forget the pickup Class X? Class A and B have engines from Renault, it's just a MB badge on top. Class X was all Nissan with an MB badge. Marketing works. Brands are out there to profit not serve us. This will make omega and swatch popular again, and make people want the real Speedmaster. It had that affect on me. I went to the boutique to check out the real Speedmaster in stainless.
I agree that marketing works. However, the MB / Renault / Nissan pickup collaboration is not common knowledge. I know the Class X is actually a Nissan Navara pickup, which Renault re-badges as the Renault Alaskan, but the MB version uses a Renault diesel motor (Nissan has not had luck with making diesels, whereas Renault had enourmous success with it for many decades, hence their collaboration under M. Ghosn et Cie). There are a few similarities between those cars on the road, biggest one being for the rear latch on the tailgate. At the same time, I have a friend who works for Dekra which inspects MB dealers. When the Class X arrived with Renault stickers in the engine bay, the garage manager had the apprentice mechanics spend all day removing those stickers and applying new MB ones, lest a customer open the bonnet and see "RENAULT" plastered all over their shiny new Merc's engine bay. So yes, people who spend a lot of money on a brand that offers a luxury image (look at Omega's brand ambassadors) then expect a certain level of "exclusivity". What Swatch Group has done here is remove the exclusivity, meaning normal punters can get an expensive Swatch branded with Omega for cheap (compared to the cost of an Omega).

I am not convinced this will make younger people want to buy an Omega or a Swatch, it is more likely going to entice Omega owners to buy a "beater" Second Watch (which is what the name Swatch actually means). It will also likely bring in customers who wish they could afford an Omega, but can't. But this is a double-edged sword.

I hope I am wrong, but I do not see this improving brand image of Omega in the long run.

What Swatch Group may find themselves creating is similar to what the French luxury brands did in the early 2000s. With expensive luxury sales stagnating in Europe, French luxury brands began searching for other sources of income, they settled on the "low hanging fruit" (more money) consisting of selling T-Shirts et al with their logo on it for €50 to €100 to "regular punters". The Burberry Scarf being an example.

When the fit hit the shan during the 2008 financial crisis, there were no more €50 to €100 punters, and at the same time the actual wealthy considered the brands to now be tainted by the proletariat (there was a 4 hour long exposé documentary on this on French television back then, with CEOs of the luxury brands explaining what happened and how it would not happen again, essentially begging the affluent to come back). If you don't think so, take a look at the number of new vraie-faux luxury brands that never existed before in Europe's main streets and "luxury factory outlets" created to protect the older luxury brands from this same thing happening again.

I don't blame the affluent really, why should they spend €4000 on a jacket that has the same logo as something someone else is wearing who only paid €50? In their minds "luxury" should also mean "exclusivity". If not, what is the point?

Now draw that parallel to watches. Is Omega going to lower their prices on a stainless Speedy? Not likely, it is already one of the best bargains in "luxury" watches today (compare the prices of a bog-standard Speedy to a bog-standard Daytona or Zenith Chronomaster).

So, no. In the short terms this may be a good marketing stunt. But in the long run I do not see this as a good move on Swatch Group's part. I hope it works for them, but history has proven that moves like this usually end in disaster.

·
Aspiring Expert
2,367 Posts
Maybe they should have played it as a "limited-time promotional run" as to not take a chance at diluting the Omega brand as they see how they would be received? who knows? :unsure:

It sort of strikes me as a "get your own electric plastic replica Ferrari that you can drive around town for only $2,000! looks just like the real thing!" ;)

·
Watch Freek
526 Posts
It really is a fun watch Sir Layer Aidroos, or rather watches. 😀
Plus you have the refreshing idea behind the MoonSwatch,
which is an affordable Moonwatch. 😲

Who would have ever thought it possible?! ..It almost feels
like something that brands would have tried back in the 60's,
70's, or 80's. But thankfully Omega, and Swatch are doing it
today. (y)(y)
Sir AtomicTom,
I agree with you. I like this new approach from swatch. It's just after seeing the real Speedmaster in person I lost interest in this new swatch venture. Pictures posted of the real omega x swatch watches are ugly to me, ones from marketing were good.

·
Watch Freek
526 Posts
Maybe they should have played it as a "limited-time promotional run" as to not take a chance at diluting the Omega brand as they see how they would be received? who knows? :unsure:

It sort of strikes me as a "get your own electric plastic replica Ferrari that you can drive around town for only $2,000! looks just like the real thing!" ;)
Sir ACCUTRONITIS, these watches are upon ebay for 800 USD to 1200 USD a piece.

·
Watch Freek
526 Posts
I agree that marketing works. However, the MB / Renault / Nissan pickup collaboration is not common knowledge. I know the Class X is actually a Nissan Navara pickup, which Renault re-badges as the Renault Alaskan, but the MB version uses a Renault diesel motor (Nissan has not had luck with making diesels, whereas Renault had enourmous success with it for many decades, hence their collaboration under M. Ghosn et Cie). There are a few similarities between those cars on the road, biggest one being for the rear latch on the tailgate. At the same time, I have a friend who works for Dekra which inspects MB dealers. When the Class X arrived with Renault stickers in the engine bay, the garage manager had the apprentice mechanics spend all day removing those stickers and applying new MB ones, lest a customer open the bonnet and see "RENAULT" plastered all over their shiny new Merc's engine bay. So yes, people who spend a lot of money on a brand that offers a luxury image (look at Omega's brand ambassadors) then expect a certain level of "exclusivity". What Swatch Group has done here is remove the exclusivity, meaning normal punters can get an expensive Swatch branded with Omega for cheap (compared to the cost of an Omega).

I am not convinced this will make younger people want to buy an Omega or a Swatch, it is more likely going to entice Omega owners to buy a "beater" Second Watch (which is what the name Swatch actually means). It will also likely bring in customers who wish they could afford an Omega, but can't. But this is a double-edged sword.

I hope I am wrong, but I do not see this improving brand image of Omega in the long run.

What Swatch Group may find themselves creating is similar to what the French luxury brands did in the early 2000s. With expensive luxury sales stagnating in Europe, French luxury brands began searching for other sources of income, they settled on the "low hanging fruit" (more money) consisting of selling T-Shirts et al with their logo on it for €50 to €100 to "regular punters". The Burberry Scarf being an example.

When the fit hit the shan during the 2008 financial crisis, there were no more €50 to €100 punters, and at the same time the actual wealthy considered the brands to now be tainted by the proletariat (there was a 4 hour long exposé documentary on this on French television back then, with CEOs of the luxury brands explaining what happened and how it would not happen again, essentially begging the affluent to come back). If you don't think so, take a look at the number of new vraie-faux luxury brands that never existed before in Europe's main streets and "luxury factory outlets" created to protect the older luxury brands from this same thing happening again.

I don't blame the affluent really, why should they spend €4000 on a jacket that has the same logo as something someone else is wearing who only paid €50? In their minds "luxury" should also mean "exclusivity". If not, what is the point?

Now draw that parallel to watches. Is Omega going to lower their prices on a stainless Speedy? Not likely, it is already one of the best bargains in "luxury" watches today (compare the prices of a bog-standard Speedy to a bog-standard Daytona or Zenith Chronomaster).

So, no. In the short terms this may be a good marketing stunt. But in the long run I do not see this as a good move on Swatch Group's part. I hope it works for them, but history has proven that moves like this usually end in disaster.
I agree, you make a strong argument. Tudor and Titoni don't throw out toys in the markets. And neither does BMW.

·
6,694 Posts
I just returned from the Rotterdam Swatch store empty handed as there was a queue of ca. 500 people, the first two on field stretchers as from 04.00 AM. Security and fencing present. The per head purchase number has been adjusted to just one. I’ll try again in a week or so, or wait until they appear on-line.

Reactions: Reflex

·
Super Moderator
1,709 Posts
I agree, you make a strong argument. Tudor and Titoni don't throw out toys in the markets. And neither does BMW.
Thank you.

Indeed, Rolex, Tudor, BMW are what I consider serious brands, they deliver what their customers want. Audi does throw out a toy every once in a while, but when they do it tends to be something like an A1 Quattro:

·
Watch Freek
526 Posts
Thank you.

Indeed, Rolex, Tudor, BMW are what I consider serious brands, they deliver what their customers want. Audi does throw out a toy every once in a while, but when they do it tends to be something like an A1 Quattro:

VW group is junk, here I will never agree. Plethora of problems, durability is not their speciality.

Porsche Cayenne and VW Toureg shared the same engine. Audi Q8 and Lamborghini Urus do the same. I hate mixing of cheap with ultra special.

Bmw does the same with their 7 series and RR electronics and a few cheap plastic bits. But, yes, BMW is more customer centric, than MB. I've never had problems at their dealership. Due to personal reasons and heritage I've decided to stick to MB.

MB Sonder Klasse and Maybach are far superior to any offering commercially available. Once we get to the C class, MB cares, until then it's just gimmicks and a brand badge.

Bentley are extremely exclusive, and yet always seen at the independent garages for strange malfunctions that Bentley themselves can't fix.

Jaguar and Land Rover are also going in a strange direction, where Tata motors, the parent organization is releasing cheaper look alike versions built on the same chassis under the Tata tag line.

These days, Lexus is a strong contender, they don't relase any garbage. All their line up is well up to date and drive as good as any competition from BMW and MB. I dislike BMW for long term ownership costs of severe maintenance, MB is superior in this aspect of ownership. But lexus is not only cheaper to run, it hardly has anything that ever runs 10K bills for a single service session.

Overall, you are as usual correct to ask for exclusivity for premium goods, why else would you buy their flagship offering? If I were to buy a grand Seiko, my colleagues would think it's a 500 usd watch. It's due to seiko's low end offering that leads to this common perception. So, yes, this watch by Swatch, will eventually hurt Omega's brand value, especially the Speedmaster. Very same problem I have with current generation junk MB low end offerings. From A class sedan until the Sonder Klasse they all look alike, people think we are in a stretched A class.

·
Long Time Member
567 Posts
Does SWATCH "own" OMEGA now?? Maybe OMEGA was having issues due the the pandemic. You never know what some of these brands would do to stay afloat in the world today. Maybe someone mentioned it but just a thought.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

·
Long Time Member
909 Posts
VW group is junk, here I will never agree. Plethora of problems, durability is not their speciality.

Porsche Cayenne and VW Toureg shared the same engine. Audi Q8 and Lamborghini Urus do the same. I hate mixing of cheap with ultra special.

Bmw does the same with their 7 series and RR electronics and a few cheap plastic bits. But, yes. BMW is more customer centric, than MB. I've never had problems at their dealership. Due to personal reasons and heritage I've decided to stick to MB.

MB Sonder Klasse and Maybach are far superior to any offering commercially available. Once we get to the C class, MB cares, until then it's just gimmicks and a brand badge.

Bentley are extremely exclusive, and yet always seen at the indipendent garages for strange malfunctions that Bentley themselves can't fix.

Jaguar and Land Rover are also going in a strange direction, where Tata motors, the parent organization is releasing cheaper look alike versions built on the same chassis under the Tata tag line.

These days, Lexus is a strong contender, they don't relase any garbage. All their line up is well up to date and drive as good as any competition from BMW and MB. I dislike BMW for long term ownership costs of severe maintenance, MB is superior in this aspect of ownership. But lexus is not only cheaper to run, it hardly has anything that ever runs 10K bills for a single service session.

Overall, you are as usual correct to ask for exclusivity for premium goods, why else would you buy their flagship offering? If i buy a grand Seiko, my colleagues would think it's a 500 usd watch. It's due to seikos low end offering that leads to this common perception. So, yes, this watch by Swatch, will eventually hurt Omega's brand value, especially the Speedmaster. Very same problem I have with current gen junk MB low end offerings. From A class sedan until the Sonder Klasse they all look alive, people think we are in a stretched A class.
Lexus are ugly and rattle. There’s that going against them.

·
Watch Freek
526 Posts
Lexus are ugly and rattle. There’s that going against them.
LS have an answer to the airmatic. No one from my Circle who has a LS has complained since a decade. I can't speak of the ES, never liked it, especially the drivetrain front wheel bias. Same can be said about the E class and 5 series, as well as a Volvo S60. M5, and E53, 55, and 63 have phenomenal engines and crazy tuning. Let's not forget the Lexus LC, Acura NSX, and SL AMG line-up. Flagship goods are for a whole different and limited market.

This whole debate started off with flagship exotic offering vs entry level products for masses.

·
Super Moderator
17,853 Posts
Sir AtomicTom,
I agree with you. I like this new approach from swatch. It's just after seeing the real Speedmaster in person I lost interest in this new swatch venture. Pictures posted of the real omega x swatch watches are ugly to me, ones from marketing were good.
You make a terrific point about the marketing pictures vs. what
the watches look like in person Sir L.A. (y) I think that it’s just fun
to see Omega and Swatch doing in general. 😉 ..And now I am
wondering if perhaps Swatch will do this with other brands they
own in the future too. 😮

21 - 40 of 74 Posts