Watch Freeks banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I finally got some time to snap a few pics of my Speedy. This watch was my first "grail". I was always intrigued by its capabilities. It is, however, a difficult watch to maintain; the hesalite crystal, although extremely shockproof, is easily scratchable, as you can tell from the photos. Not really the perfect watch to wear as a daily, although I did for 5 straight years. It's definately time for me to send it in for a full service job; it not only needs oil, but also a new crystal and bracelet reconditioning. I imagine this will be quite costly, but it will be worth it - this piece has much sentimental value to me; it was given to me as an engagement gift from my wife in 2003. She thought it was only fair that the man gets gifted as well, after he makes the commitment to faithfully spend the rest of his life with her, using a diamond ring to show his love and loyalty.

So, here it is (finally). Keep in mind that this piece has been worn about 2,000 times, including my wedding day (looks great with a tux). It definately looks worn and has the scratches to prove it. The fact that it still keeps near perfect time after years of abuse is a testament to its quality craftsmanship. Once it gets reconditioned, it will proudly return to its case as the centerpiece of my collection.

http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t52/SparcoMax/Moonwatch/?action=view&current=f8436518.pbw&t=1265567737

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

Thanks for sharing. It is a beautiful watch and certainly deserves the service required to restore it to all it's glory. Just for the sentimental value alone it would be worth it.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
imported post

Hi Bigtime, thanks for sharring the story. Your wife sounds like a great gal! Your Omega is a high end and gorgeous time piece. Excellent photos of it too. Maybe after you have it oiled, and cleaned it should become a special occasion timepiece, just a thought. Wear your Omega in good health. ....Bob

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

Very nice story and pictures. What a nice watch!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Thanks, Gents! Yeah, I definately plan on keeping it in the case once its reconditioned and serviced, and will only wear it on special occasions (like my anniversary =)).

You're right, Bob- she IS a great girl, and I'm a VERY lucky guy. She's an RN and worked her butt off to get me that watch (she was only 25 at the time).

Well, glad you guys enjoyed the pics and thank you for your kind comments!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

dane1991 wrote:
Absolutely Gorgeous, one of my favourite watches of all time, Thanks for the pictures. I wait for the day that i get this on my wrist.
Thank you, Dane. You recently asked for some pics of my Speedy, so it was actually you who encouraged me to finally take a few pics of it. Glad you enjoyed them!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Watchguru58 wrote:
Very cool Omega. Yours has the same crystal as mine and yes those things do scratch very easy. I recently had my jeweler buff them out.
Yeah, I already had it buffed once before, but it can only be done so much before it thins out too much. I was tempted to get a sapphire replacement, but then I wouldn't be able to wear it on the moon, haha.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

BIGtime wrote:
Watchguru58 wrote:
Very cool Omega. Yours has the same crystal as mine and yes those things do scratch very easy. I recently had my jeweler buff them out.
Yeah, I already had it buffed once before, but it can only be done so much before it thins out too much. I was tempted to get a sapphire replacement, but then I wouldn't be able to wear it on the moon, haha.
I hear that. Are we still headed to the moon next week? I didn't get me E-ticket from NASA yet did you? Ha Ha LOL!!!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Watchguru58 wrote:
BIGtime wrote:
Watchguru58 wrote:
Yeah, I already had it buffed once before, but it can only be done so much before it thins out too much.  I was tempted to get a sapphire replacement, but then I wouldn't be able to wear it on the moon, haha.
I hear that.  Are we still headed to the moon next week?  I didn't get me E-ticket from NASA yet did you?  Ha Ha LOL!!!
:
:%:%:%
yeah, they sent me an email about having to postpone it to give the rest of the passengers time to trade their Rolexes in for watches that won't shatter as we enter space. :lol

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
imported post

DenFromNM wrote:
Very nice Omega and pics, you are a lucky man indeed.
Thank you, Den - yep, she's a good gal, indeed. She doesn't think it's fair that the girl receives a diamond ring worth thousands and the guy gets nothing in return to signify her commitment to him. Kinda makes sense, huh? Especially when you're on the receiving end, hehe. I wonder...if I suggest that we renew our vows, if she'll spring for that Planet Ocean I want so badly . Can't hurt, right? Lol just kidding (kinda)

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
imported post

Yeah that sounds like a good idea. I wonder if that would work for my wife??? LOL I'll tell her she can get me a Ball and I could get her a chain....hehehe

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

Man, that is one sweet watch!! I love thismodel and the one i really like is the version that has the actuakl planets on it. The one where the planets are on the sub-dials. THAT is a cool look to me. CONGRATS on having one of the best watches going!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
imported post

Den- that's a GREAT idea, hahaha! I love it!

Brian- thanks- I also love that model you're speaking of- so cool. If I'm not mistaken, that model carries a HUGE premium, though- I think it's @ 15k-it must use white gold or platinum to carry that price tag- I'll have to check on that.

EDIT*** I AM mistaken- the "FROM THE MOON TO MARS" watch with the Earth, Moon, and Mars planets for subdials, carries NO premium - same price as the other Speedy Pros, at least in SS, anyway.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.