Watch Freeks banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered one of these Cameras It's called a Lytro light field infinite focus camera. It doesn't look like much but the software it has is really great especially for the hobby. I imagine it will take some great pics of our watches for a good price! These were originally like $500.00 Yugster has two versions for $69.97 for the 8 gig and I think 89 and change for the 16 gig. I have been very interested in these since they came out about 3 years ago and now with the huge price drop even though the newer models are better IMO this one can't be all that bad for the 3yo tech. I had to grab one this morning!

It doesn't look like much but what it can do and what you can do with the software is unbelievable! I like how you can change the perspective slightly you can't do that with the standard digi camera.

This vid is from B&H and although it's a little boring it shows some of the great stuff this camera and the software can do!

https://www.yugster.com/deals/66046...ite-focus-digital-camera-w-free-case-2-styles

I figure for $70 bucks it's worth a shot. All the stuff I have read looks good. Of course I have been following this camera brand for 3 years at least.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Illum is soooo much better but right now but the price is between 1000 and 1500 right now, OUCH LOL Not that that is bad price for a camera I have owned Hasselblad, Mamiya and Fuji Medium formats that cost 1000s back in the late 80 early 90s. Rarely used them ended up taking a big hit on them when I sold or traded them in. Today the Mamiya body I had sells dirt cheap at least when I got out of the hobby I didn't take that bad of a hit! If things work out with this one I will probably upgrade especially if the price comes down on the Illum. I love the 3D option!!! I can't wait to try this out for myself and see if it's all it's cracked up to be.

Reactions: FunkDaLicious

·
Senior Freek
2,505 Posts
The Illum is soooo much better but right now but the price is between 1000 and 1500 right now, OUCH LOL Not that that is bad price for a camera I have owned Hasselblad, Mamiya and Fuji Medium formats that cost 1000s back in the late 80 early 90s. Rarely used them ended up taking a big hit on them when I sold or traded them in. Today the Mamiya body I had sells dirt cheap at least when I got out of the hobby I didn't take that bad of a hit! If things work out with this one I will probably upgrade especially if the price comes down on the Illum. I love the 3D option!!! I can't wait to try this out for myself and see if it's all it's cracked up to be.
The 3D options is pretty damn awesome!

I have a Canon 60D. I spent $1300 on it new with an upgraded lens. Saved for over a year to get that sucker! I'd prefer to shoot with a DSLR over the Illum; however, it would be an amazing camera to shoot with! The creativity to be had would be a lot of fun! If I had the money to spend, I would totally buy it! Unless that Glycine Airman I want was available that that price... It's good to dream!

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I shoot with a Nikon D5000. It's not bad but I should have stepped up to the next model. I got a great deal from B&H on it and I liked the way the display angle could be changed so I could easily shoot over my head and see the screen.

·
Senior Freek
2,505 Posts
I shoot with a Nikon D5000. It's not bad but I should have stepped up to the next model. I got a great deal from B&H on it and I liked the way the display angle could be changed so I could easily shoot over my head and see the screen.
The D5000 series is a great camera in it's own right. You can't get much higher Nikon line, or Canon line after the 60D (now 70D) without getting into the professional cameras that are just so darned expensive!! If I made money on my work, perhaps I could justify that with the financial advisor (okay, girlfriend)...

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do a lot of Photography work for my car,social clubs and friends but never really charge. I get some of my photos in the club magazines and some web sites I have sold a few framed prints here and there. I have done some pictures for a few real estate agents etc. I really don't have much time to do the photography I want. I feel sometimes I wasted money on my old film cameras and Photography School. It started out as a hobby and after I finished the courses and did some real work I realized I liked it more as a hobby than a career! Photography can be an expensive hobby and an even more expensive career. Same thing with Auto Mechanics spent a boat load on school opened a shop spent a lot to get that running and learned to hate it fast. I found if you love your hobby the quickest way to ruin it is to do it as a full time job. LOL

The camera should be here today but I won't be home so I'll have to wait to pick it up at the PO tomorrow. :(

·
Senior Freek
2,505 Posts
Post some watch pics with it when you get it!! I'm excited to see!

I agree with you on the ruining hobbies by making it a career. Friends have asked me why I don't do photography as a living, and that is exactly what I say! It will just ruin the fun of it!!!

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BUMMED!

Well the camera came and I plugged it into my computer to charge and download the software and it didn't work. :confused: I plugged it in my Lap Top just in case it's was my desktop and even swapped USB cables in case the cable was bad. NOTHING! :mad: It has to be defective I emailed Yugster and will have them send me a return lable and hopefully they can exchange it for another. I am very disapointed was really looking forward to using it and playing with the software.

·
Senior Freek
2,505 Posts
Well the camera came and I plugged it into my computer to charge and download the software and it didn't work. :confused: I plugged it in my Lap Top just in case it's was my desktop and even swapped USB cables in case the cable was bad. NOTHING! :mad: It has to be defective I emailed Yugster and will have them send me a return lable and hopefully they can exchange it for another. I am very disapointed was really looking forward to using it and playing with the software.
That sucks! Sorry to hear it!

... Refurbished Lytro's have gone on sale on www.woot.com a few times for a similar price. If for some reason this doesn't work out, keep and eye out there.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yugster is pretty good they got back to me on this issue pretty fast. I have gotten two replies but they are waiting to hear from their distributor to let me know what the next step is. I asked for a replacement not a refund. Not sure if the distributor still has any. I was really looking forward to trying this out. I might have to go to a different source for this if they have to refund me.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good News, Yugster sent me a return label and will replace the camera as soon as they get the defective one. A little of a hassle having to wait for all this to go but I am hoping I will love this little camera and it will be all worth it.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good New/Bad News

Good News! The repalcement camera came today it works and Yugster gave me a $10.00 gift card because the camera went onsale for a lower price. :smile-thumb2:The bad news both my PC and Laptop will not suppoet the software. I need to upgrade to at least Windows 7 64bit. :mad:

Never fails now I need to either upgrade or buy a new PC.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.