Super Moderator
9,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if you guys have had time to catch the beginning of this new
W&W ten part article series, or not.

It's called Nostalgia Machines, and it looks to be all about the Heritage
watch trend. Covering everything there is to learn about the vintage
styled watches we've been seeing recently. With the very first part
here looking to being called 10 Vintage Reissues Under $1,000.

Have the article right below. Hope everyone enjoys. 🙂

Nostalgia Machines Part 1: 10 Vintage Reissues Under $1,000 - Worn & Wound

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Thanks! That Junghans is a sweet watch. Very ‘Bauhaus’ indeed! It’s what has started some years ago and what is growing in popularity. Some say it’s downright laziness on the part of manufacturers (perhaps partly true) but I’m happy with some of the results.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thanks! That Junghans is a sweet watch. Very ‘Bauhaus’ indeed! It’s what has started some years ago and what is growing in popularity. Some say it’s downright laziness on the part of manufacturers (perhaps partly true) but I’m happy with some of the results.
If memory servers, and I am not mistaken, Junghans made the original Max Bill Bauhaus way back when, so if any company can claim the design, it would be them. It's a singular iconic piece from a manufacturer that went defunkt and was brought back from the ashes.

It may be laziness on the part of some manufacturers going for a "quick buck" by recycling old designs anew (the plethora of German aviation watches from Laco, Stowa etc but now using ETA movements), but when you look at what VW did with the New Beetle 20 years ago and Fiat with the Cinquecento 10+ years ago, it also offers new buyers the ability to touch a more modern version of the cars/watches their parents or grandparents drove/wore, but more reliable. I look at my Steinhart as an example, it's an "homage / copy" of a 60 year old Rolex design, but it will actually remain water resistant to 300m should I go diving to that depth tomorrow (my Vostok Amphibia too), whereas the 60 old version likely will not, much like a Cinquecento convertible you buy new today won't drop all of it's oil on the Autostrada nor disintegrate in a crash like the Fiat 500 from 1957.

What I am not a fan of is charging the moon (haha) for what is a replica, like Omega has done with the limited edition Speedmasters with the a new 321 movement at a "pithy" Fr 13'900, when the regular Speedmaster "Moon Watch" is a lowly Fr 4'950*.. Surely, even if the modern/new 321 movement is made in a chalet in the Jura mountains by Swiss elves, it can't be worth that much more... But the marketing will likely win out.

*Prices are in Swiss Francs for the Swiss market.

·
Super Moderator
9,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Totally missed that, thanks @AtomicTom (y) Gives me something to read at lunchtime / while in quarantine :)

Don't mention it Frans, and FB !! 😀

It looks like the other parts in the series will be released in the next
few weeks. So will just add them into this thread as they come out.
So glad you are enjoying. It should be fun !

Frans, have to say, the Bauhaus style is so cool to me, and definitely
doesn't seem lazy, or anything like that. In fact, it actually seems to
be a lot of hard work designing those types of watches. With Junghans
for example trying not to be like everyone else doing their own thing. 🙂
Their traditional, but more modern, reliable versions of traditional like
FB was saying. Oh, and so happy that you will be enjoying these
there FB. (y) Hopefully makes the time fly by, and adds a little fun
to the day. ..Will be checking in at W&W for the updates to add in.
So stay tuned guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts