Watch Freeks banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I recently purchased two Seiko watches with the 7S26 automatic movement, and have been checking their accuracy for the last 10 days. One is running about 10 seconds ahead per day, while the other is running about 12 seconds ahead. Is that about the norm for this movement?

For what it's worth,my Rolex GMT Master and Explorer II both ran about 10 seconds ahead also.

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
imported post

POD55 wrote:
I recently purchased two Seiko watches with the 7S26 automatic movement, and have been checking their accuracy for the last 10 days. One is running about 10 seconds ahead per day, while the other is running about 12 seconds ahead. Is that about the norm for this movement?

For what it's worth,my Rolex GMT Master and Explorer II both ran about 10 seconds ahead also.
You need to get your GMT and EII regulated! IMO, that should be improved!

I think the Seiko spec for the 7S26 is around +/-25 sec/day, but most I've come across do much better than that. They do seem to vary "out of the box" and take a month or so to settle down, after which +/-10 sec is not uncommon. With patience (and assuming the movement is in good condition, recently serviced, etc.), the 7S26 can be regulated down to +/-5 or even better.

·
Registered
168 Posts
imported post

I wore a 7S26a for about 20 years and it was better than 10 seconds a day for most of that time.

My 6R15 movement is better than 2 seconds a day.

If your looking for something for everyday use, in auto, thats accurate? One of the Seiko's with a 6R15 would get you there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

andrema wrote:

You need to get your GMT and EII regulated! IMO, that should be improved!

The best either watch seemed to becapable of was between 5-10 seconds a day ahead, even after service. (I no longer own either of them by the way, first time in 25 years I have been without a Rolex).

As for the Seikos, I'm going to let them have a month or two to "settle in" before forming an opinion. However, I can live with +10 considering the cost difference.

·
Registered
923 Posts
imported post

Out of the box accuracy is the luck of the draw from my limited experience. I have seen from + or -15 sec/day to +-2 sec/day depending on the individual watch. This is all with the 7S26 movement.
Dan

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

My 7S26 movement ran way too fast. I never got it regulated, but it was gaining about 15-18 seconds/day. I've since sold the watch and that was the main reason why. It's hit and miss with this movement.

·
Registered
1 Posts
7s26c hard to regulate

I bought a seiko snxs77k six weeks ago (105 euro). What I can say is that after a month it didn't settle down, was running constantly +15...+17 seconds a day. That pissed me off, was too much for my taste, after reading all possible posts about how to regulate a watchI decided to regulate it myself by moving +/- bar: I opened it, moved the bar (indicator going toward minus sign)....for the first time I felt it being too rigid... and I had to open it for 20 times maybe, anyway big pain in the ass regulating this movement every attempt it was either -20, -15, +14 a day...
Best accuracy achieved was aprox +12 seconds/day, a lot of patience is needed and basically if you don't notice any gain/loss over 2 hours since last attempt you did a good "blind shot".
Two days ago I made another try (bored of opening it) and wooo whhoooo result: +1,8 seconds in 24 hours (up to 1,5 second gained during night being positioned with dial up). IT's a good time piece and still surprised of 7s26c accuracy.
Tips and tricks:I opened back case with a modified kitchen fork :D (no scartches on back case), use only toothpick , remove waterproof seal, consider you have to open it and adjust +/- lever at least 20 times (a lot of patience), wear the watch as much as possible and avoid wounding it by rotating around it own axis: that may influence balance wheel to move faster/gain couple of seconds almost instantaneously (consider also watch position over the night).
Sorry for my bad english I'm romanian

·
Registered
66 Posts
I once got a used 009 on eBay and it was -26...

This thread really reminded me how much buying watches is like buying guitars. It all comes down to the individual piece. Age and price range can certainly have an impact, but quality is a bit of a crapshoot. That's why buying used online is so tricky.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Well I had a bit of a surprise after ordering three Seiko models a few weeks ago. The SARY055 4R36 caliber started some 10sec/D slow and in a couple of weeks is about 7sec /day slow. It is not settled yet.
The SARB033 6R15C caliber started off losing around 6sec then loosened up to gain an equal amount. It needs time to run in.
Now for the surprise. A Seiko 5 SNKE51K1 with the 7S26C movement gained 3 sec the first day, then lost 2 the second day. On the third day, +1 sec. From then on it has been exact. I don't know if this will last, but it has put my Rolex's to shame.
Edit: Now that a week has passed, here are the recordings of my SNKE51K1 Seiko 5.
15July shows -2 seconds setting from reference at start (new out of box)
16July range over the day -1 to -2
17July. -3 to -2
18July -2 to -1 to -2
19July -1
20July -2 to -1
21July -2 to -1
22July -2 to -1
This is remarkable, and clearly shows that the movement is capable of great consistency over a week having the same reading over a week - perfect time.

·
Registered
239 Posts

Here is the SNKE51 mentioned above. I really am impressed with my least expensive watch.
An update after a few weeks, shows that the time keeping is still exemplary, varying no more than 2 seconds a day while being worn. Off the wrist, at night, in a cool room, it gains 4 or 5 seconds, face up. Back on the wrist, and it varies only a second or two for the rest of the day.
My SARY055 has improved but is not as good - looses time overnight. The SARB033 has larger positional changes off the wrist. Will gain +5 face up or lose 8 crown down, and gains a few seconds when being worn.

All this is academic when put against a cheap quartz, but I think it is good to have on record that the humble "5" can perform well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts