Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am new to the watch world. My whole life I have avoided wearing watches because my wrists are teeeeny. The circumference (all the way around) my wrist is about 6.25 inches. I received a Tissot PRC 200 as a gift, which I love. BUT it is 39mm in case size and 10mm thick - way too big on me. I look ridiculous. So I guess I may need around a 35mm size??

I am looking for a sports style watch with a leather strap. I want to be able to wear it for work and also for fishing. I really like the style of the Orvis watches (like this one: http://www.orvis.com/p/blue-dial-chronograph/82h5). The Orvis watches, however, do not fit my sad little wrists.

I do not want to spend more than around $200.

Do any of y'all have any suggestions for me?

Thank you very much for your help, I look forward to having a discussion.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
I would recommend looking at the Citizen and Seiko watches. They make some models that can go for the office to the fishing boat with ease. Fishing and leather straps would not be my first choice. I'd stick to nylon or rubber. They hold up better in the water than leather. I'll see if I can find a few models as suggestions.

http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/SNE039.asp (36mm)

Reactions: jason_recliner

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,771 Posts
I would be very skeptical of purchasing any watch from a brand like "Orvis", which is a blatant rip off of the name Oris, which is a respected Swiss manufacturer.

I'm sure you can find many, many watches in your price and size range from Citizen or Seiko, try a search for them.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
go over to WORLDOFWATCHES.com

lots of watches for petite lady wrists-

NATO,RUBBER,LEATHER all work best on small wrists rather than a brushed stainless steel bracelet-

plenty of watch heads to fit you 28mm-34mm IMHO--

when you wear 35mm-38mm it's a BOYFRIEND WATCH-

and your wrist aint that small...plenty of dudes on the forums have pu ny girlie wrists sub 7"...and some of them dudes wear 44mm-50mm+...it's all in the attitude-

good hunting !

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I would be very skeptical of purchasing any watch from a brand like "Orvis", which is a blatant rip off of the name Oris, which is a respected Swiss manufacturer.

I'm sure you can find many, many watches in your price and size range from Citizen or Seiko, try a search for them.
DISAGREE on the rip factor as ORVIS is a respected long time purveyor of all things yuppie trout fishing accoutrements...however;

agree in so far as there is no reason to pay a licensing fee to a marketer of outdoor gear not a watchmaker

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Reactions: FunkDaLicious

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,771 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts

Orvis is a company that makes outdoor and fishing clothes and gear, hunting gear, luggage , a few watches under their own name and sell other brands on their site. Watches are not their primary focus, far from it, and it's not what they started with either, so they are not copying "Oris " at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
My girlfriend has this one. Momentum M1 mini. Comes with rubber or stainless and a bunch of other color options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, thank you all very much for your suggestions. I really like those Seiko and Spacemans.

And with regards to Orvis, it is a legitimate brand, but y'all are correct - watches aren't their core business line. I'm going to use all of the advice/recommendations and search around. Will let y'all know what I decide!

Oh, and btw I am a dude (most of y'all got that but some did not) Sorry, should have clarified that.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Wow, thank you all very much for your suggestions. I really like those Seiko and Spacemans.

And with regards to Orvis, it is a legitimate brand, but y'all are correct - watches aren't their core business line. I'm going to use all of the advice/recommendations and search around. Will let y'all know what I decide!

Oh, and btw I am a dude (most of y'all got that but some did not) Sorry, should have clarified that.
JOHNNY CASH sang about u

A MAN NAMED SUE;)

jk...plenty dudes on the forum sub 7" wrist rock the bigguns...

me... i'm 7 3/8 going for classic size smaller/thinner 38-42mm/8-12mm thick

·
Banned
754 Posts
First thing that comes to mind is vintage. If you don't mind a preowned watch. I would try looking into vintage pieces. I just got my first one and I want more ASAP. Mine is 45mm but that's a fluke. They're quite often under 37mm.
I would check out vintage watch groups on Facebook and on other forums, the bay. Some can be purchased with warranty that it'll run for 4-6 months even if they're 25 to 50 years old or more.

Reactions: scotty

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would recommend looking at the Citizen and Seiko watches. They make some models that can go for the office to the fishing boat with ease. Fishing and leather straps would not be my first choice. I'd stick to nylon or rubber. They hold up better in the water than leather. I'll see if I can find a few models as suggestions.

http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/SNE039.asp (36mm)

How do y'all think the black leather Seiko above (SNE049) would look good if I replaced it with a brown alligator leather band like this one - http://www.totalwatchrepair.com/pro..._alligator_grain_20mm_watch_band#.VWPTbVxViko

Went to Macy's and tried this one on - like the face a lot and it fits my wrists. Just not a huge fan of the black leather.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Agree Citizen Eco or Seiko Solar (with date function) but on s/s (or Ti) strap would be the way to go if you want relatively accurate trouble-free time-keeping - and no battery worries. There are a fair few of these (around 30mm diameter) offered by various reputable internet dealers. I know as not long ago I was checking them out for my wife who finally decided she'd prefer a "name" brand Tag Heuer - which is no more accurate, cost 3x more and she is going to have replace the battery on every 2-3 years. When do wives ever listen to their husbands - sigh?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts