Watch Freeks banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at dive watches last night and came across this gorgeous Baleine diver. Does anyone on WF own one of these and know someone who does? If so, would you recommend it? Thanks!

Photo-Jun-20-7-04-56-AM.jpg

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
I was looking at dive watches last night and came across this gorgeous Baleine diver. Does anyone on WF own one of these and know someone who does? If so, would you recommend it? Thanks!

View attachment 129768
Not a direct answer to your question (I don't own one because I waited too long to purchase one) but what I do know these were marketed by Nezumi Studios from Stockholm, Sweden. (Nezumi is Japanese for mouse). The owner is a designer and they offer more than just watches. They have a website. Now they offer this model as a chronograph, the diver models are all gone. From what I remember they were equipped with either a Seiko or a Miyota movement (so you can't go wrong there). The model I wanted came in stainless steel with gold hands.

·
Super Moderator
9,672 Posts
Think Frans shed all the light that can be shed on these Rob. 😉
Honestly, they seem really nice from what have seen, and read.
But don't of course own one. Nevertheless, if you like them as
much as it seems you do. Then I would recommend one even
though I don't have one. 😄

Seriously though, they do seem like extremely cool watches.
Just go with your heart.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both of you. I contacted Nezumi and they plan to re-stock the Baleine diver in the fall so I may ask for one for Christmas!! :). I was hoping to find someone here who owns one and get the inside scoop. I really like the vintage diver look, black theme, and smaller diameter.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Thanks to both of you. I contacted Nezumi and they plan to re-stock the Baleine diver in the fall so I may ask for one for Christmas!! :). I was hoping to find someone here who owns one and get the inside scoop. I really like the vintage diver look, black theme, and smaller diameter.
What do you want to know or what are your concerns? They were somewhere in the region of EUR 368 incl. tax but that only applied for Europe. For destinations outside Europe the tax was deducted. Making it a pretty good deal i.m.o. Classic 60s dive watch style, I like that as well.

·
Super Moderator
9,672 Posts
You got it Rob, and boy oh boy, that is such awesome news
about the Baleine. Who knows, maybe you will be giving us
the inside scoop on these down the road ! 😉😀

Thank YOU for the news, along with info !!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What do you want to know or what are your concerns? They were somewhere in the region of EUR 368 incl. tax but that only applied for Europe. For destinations outside Europe the tax was deducted. Making it a pretty good deal i.m.o. Classic 60s dive watch style, I like that as well.
When you buy a Seiko SKX or Citizen Promaster you know what you're getting. I just don't know much about Nezumi watches which makes me a bit apprehensive. So when I say inside scoop I mean......how reliable is it? How accurate? How does it perform in ocean water? Does it have a screw down crown (which I'm guessing it does)? I agree with it appearing to be a good deal. Unfortunately I have a tendency to fall in love with the looks of a watch first and then worry about the other stuff later. Good thing is I have time before I have to make a decision.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You got it Rob, and boy oh boy, that is such awesome news
about the Baleine. Who knows, maybe you will be giving us
the inside scoop on these down the road ! 😉😀

Thank YOU for the news, along with info !!!
Tom, I'd be happy to give everyone the inside scoop if I buy one. :) (y)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I almost ordered one a couple of years ago. Seiko NH35 movement was used at the time, I believe. Like Frans, I liked the stainless model, but they're no longer available. EDIT: or perhaps they are - this coming fall? This one:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I almost ordered one a couple off years ago. Seiko NH35 movement was used at the time, I believe. Like Frans, I liked the stainless model, but they're no longer available. This one:

Very nice indeed!! They told me they'd be stocking more Baleine's in the fall but not sure exactly which ones they'll stock. Looks fantastic on that leather strap!!

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
When you buy a Seiko SKX or Citizen Promaster you know what you're getting. I just don't know much about Nezumi watches which makes me a bit apprehensive. So when I say inside scoop I mean......how reliable is it? How accurate? How does it perform in ocean water? Does it have a screw down crown (which I'm guessing it does)? I agree with it appearing to be a good deal. Unfortunately I have a tendency to fall in love with the looks of a watch first and then worry about the other stuff later. Good thing is I have time before I have to make a decision.
It comes with a Seiko NH35 movement so a quick Google search will bring you its reliability and accuracy. There are a number of reviews to be found as well but they are dated. Given the relatively ease to make a watch water resistant these days considering the state of current technology that's not something to worry about. It has a screw-down crown. The steel used is 316L, the crystal double domed sapphire so again, up to par with other offerings. These are known metrics, what remains is its salt water resistance (especially the DLC version) and that is an unknown factor. Edit: and a two-year guarantee.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It comes with a Seiko NH35 movement so a quick Google search will bring you its reliability and accuracy. There are a number of reviews to be found as well but they are dated. Given the relatively ease to make a watch water resistant these days considering the state of current technology that's not something to worry about. It has a screw-down crown. The steel used is 316, the crystal double domed sapphire so again, up to par with other offerings. These are known metrics, what remains is its salt water resistance (especially the DLC version) and that is an unknown factor.
Thanks for the info. What is DLC version? I'm not familiar with that acronym.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Thanks for the info. What is DLC version? I'm not familiar with that acronym.
That is the black version and it stands for Diamond Like Carbon (coating).

·
Super Moderator
9,672 Posts
Tom, I'd be happy to give everyone the inside scoop if I buy one. :) (y)

(y)(y)Yup, totally understand Rob. It's an eye-catcher whatever
you decide, and a brand we just don't see on wrists much. Thanks
just for getting us to talk about them, and take another look, or ten ! 😄

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Thanks! Would you happen to know if the watches are manufactured in Sweden or somewhere else?
No, but I'm sure someone here knows the answer. But given the way it goes with many of these kind of watches the movements are sourced from Japan or Malaysia and all the rest is made in China. Leaving two countries for the final assembly: China or Sweden itself. But that's all just guessing as I really don't know. But Google is your best friend in this :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, but I'm sure someone here knows the answer. But given the way it goes with many of these kind of watches the movements are sourced from Japan or Malaysia and all the rest is made in China. Leaving two countries for the final assembly: China or Sweden itself. But that's all just guessing as I really don't know. But Google is your best friend in this :)
Yep, I figure it's either China or Sweden. My personal hope is it's Sweden since I don't have a Swedish made watch in my collection.

That's one of the things that attracted me to Vaer. The movement is Swiss, other parts sourced from China, BUT, final assembly and QC checks are done in the USA. And it came with 2 straps, one being Horween leather. Interesting business model. Thanks again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts