Watch Freeks banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, have a few free minutes and thought I'd put some thoughts down and see how this relates or not with my fellow freaks. I know these are all non important problems but...
Getting ready for my next "important" watch purchase, problem is there are way too many options out there and when I think I have decided on my watch, three or twenty more I like come along and screw with my head! I thought I wanted a Tissot PRS 516, then I thought an Elliot Brown with the internal bezel would be nice..or maybe a Bernheart. See what I mean? There is a nice hand wind Parnis as well, maybe I could get that and something else? So, anyone have a guide on how to focus and maintain it ;)

On another point, has anyone ever been totally disappointed with a purchase straight out of the box, irrespective of price?
So far I've been very happy with all my purchases, all my watches arrived promptly and were and continue to be in good working order, hope that state of affairs continues.
Well, thanks for reading, enjoy your watch summer.
Cheers
Derek

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
On another point, has anyone ever been totally disappointed with a purchase straight out of the box, irrespective of price?
Not really, only because I research pretty hard before pulling the trigger.
Only time I was ever immediately disappointed were with some cheap sterile Rolex homages that didn't even function out of the box. I've had a few that over time I became disappointed with, and a few I "grew out of love" with as well.

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
My advice...always go quality over quantity and spend money wisely. (Read: stay away from Parnis). There are a lot of GREAT brands out there to choose from and they are not one of them. Do your research and read reviews and buy the watch you like and the one that fits your budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
T Chef, is everything Parnis produce an "homage"? Don't they have anything that is an original? Or is your comment based on quality? I've read a lot of conflicting reports and a lot seems to depend on which particular factory they come out of.
Side note, when I was in China I visited one of their motorcycle factories, nearly got arrested for spying as I walked in with cameras and turns out they shared the place with a military jet engine manufacturer! Anyhow , there are twenty factories all producing the same knock off Honda bikes and putting twenty different names on them.
Cheers mate
D.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Derek
I can't recall such a circumstance but there were some watches that I grew tired of within a year. Mostly watches from the 'Quartz Era'. I was stationed in Lebanon and Casio, Seiko and other brands were in abundance, mostly versions not yet available in my own country. The calculator watches were very popular but turned out to be a fad.

Now I've narrowed my field of interest down to boutique divers. (From micro producers). And with smaller watches, like the LMV Pilot I take a coin with the same size and place it on my wrist to get a feeling about the relative size.

My favourite brand is Helberg/H2O, those watches prove time and time again to provide with excellent quality and great value for money. Never a disappointment there!

Reactions: Roarry

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
T Chef, is everything Parnis produce an "homage"? Don't they have anything that is an original? Or is your comment based on quality? I've read a lot of conflicting reports and a lot seems to depend on which particular factory they come out of.
Side note, when I was in China I visited one of their motorcycle factories, nearly got arrested for spying as I walked in with cameras and turns out they shared the place with a military jet engine manufacturer! Anyhow , there are twenty factories all producing the same knock off Honda bikes and putting twenty different names on them.
Cheers mate
D.

Everything they do produce is an homage...

And the quality is sub par.
I'm not trying to knock anyone but whether it's $70 or $125 that they buy one for, you can buy a quality Citizen, Seiko or Momentum for that price and get a quality piece with a real warranty and real CS. Want a nice homage then look to Steinhart, Gruppo Gamma and others. Ones that will have real water resistance, real 316 steel or titanium and real sapphire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chef, thanks, I appreciate your input.
Cheers mate
D.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Derek:
IMHO we are deluged with different brands, iterations etc.
I'm morphing into a micro brand Watch Freek. Pieces like
my grail, the Zenton M45.
On a lark I just bought my first Russkie watch (an Amphibia
from Vostok) Already have the Komanderiskie.
Now I'm smiten by Vostok. Kinda Rube Goldberg winding
and date wheel setting (see videos)
Micro brands not withstanding,I'm amazed at Vostoks bang
fer the buck quality. Who'd a thunk it? But a Russkie Kalishnikov
invented the AK47. How many widows has this "widow maker"
produced for cheep?

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Derek:
What's the ole saying? "The inscrutible Chinese mind"?
After reading a bunch of reviews on Parnis, I'll never spend
any coin of the realm on one, regardless of iteration.My
perrogative

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Arogle, I know well the "chinese mind" mate. I'm married to one! Although to be fair my better half is Hong Kong born and San Francisco brought up. In fact an AWSOME lady. (See what I just said and she didn't even tell me to).
Not sure why this thread became all about Parnis, I only mentioned it kind of tongue in cheek with my list of pieces I've looked at. Lol, intonation is difficult with text sometimes, I was more interested in the "disappointed out the box" question. But hey, it's all good.
Cheers
D.

·
Super Moderator
10,673 Posts
Maybe just take baby steps Derek. :) Pick the one you want most, and enjoy it for a while. Then eventually down the road go for your next favorite. It will all work out in the end. :clapping-hands-abov

By the way, haven't really been disappointed with a purchase yet. Usually know a lot about the watch before purchasing it, or like the brand I'm after sir.

Great questions here Derek !

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I know exactly what you mean when it comes to settling on the next watch.

I've spent far too many hours looking up review articles and videos of different watches as I go through different style phases. I wish I had the money to build a collection of about 50 pieces!

But I guess a large part of the fun of being a WF is the journey of learning about what's out there.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think I'm generally a bit more impulsive with my watches.

My first Tag was my first bigger watch purchase which I had wanted for a long time. My other watch buys have been more impulsive but no regrets!

My next big watch purchase is out of my price range just now as I'm wanting a Rolex or perhaps Omega.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts