Watch Freeks banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone.

I'm new to the watch game and learning more and more about everything.

I mostly have quartz watches and particularly like Chronographs and Divers. I guess the bezel also catches my eye.

I'm starting to learn about mechanical watches and looking to add a few to my collection. Any recommendations within the $750 - $1200 range is appreciated. I have my eye on an Alpina chrono AL-860B5AQ6B, Alpina Extreme Diver 300 & Citizen Altichron (quartz) but I want to diversify so I'm open to anything different from what I have as long as it is quality and automatic.

Thanks and looking forward to hear any recommendations.

Here's a pic of what I got so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
:welcome: to the forum. Might want to start with some of Atomic Tom's posts of new watches like the Vancouver Crossfire he posted recently. WRUW is where members post their watches out of their own collections. Lots of good stuff there. There are plenty of nice divers out there. I'm sure you're about to meet many enablers who will help you on your way. Enjoy the trip. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Welcom aboard

If you ever find the perfect watch it just means you didn't have the collector sickness! Enjoy your stay there is lots to learn from a wide array of freeks! ;)

Reactions: Rodiggs

·
Super Moderator
9,886 Posts
Hi Rodiggs, welcome aboard !!! :smileyface_hand_cla

Forza is right, there are so many amazing brands,
and neat small companies. You can't go wrong no
matter where you look. :eek: ..It's just a matter of
learning, and searching out there.

But most importantly having fun, and enjoying
the search !

Think the best thing to say is to go with your
heart, and those amazing Alpinas you mentioned.

Was going to say to look at Seiko, or Citizen,
but it looks like you already have great taste,
and a fleet here above. :) ..Welcome, and enjoy !

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hey Rodiggs, welcome to WF!! I'm a fairly new collector myself; after wearing one watch solely for years, in a year & change I've amassed 17 or 18. There'll always be something shiny to catch your eye. I'm also entranced by automatic watches and there's no shortage of brands and models you can get for under 1K. Your quartz models might become once in a blue moon wears.

My recommendation is start with a couple inexpensive Japanese (Seiko, Orient, Citizen) mechanical models to find out what styles, colors, sizes and complications really interest you. Do plenty of reading and research before pulling the trigger as that's part of the fun of collecting. Once you know what about a watch really turns your crank, maybe move up to some solid Swiss pieces (Tissot, Glycine, Victorinox) that won't break the bank.

"Drop" is a good online place to pick up a quality watch for much cheaper than MSRP as long as you're patient to find what you want. Have fun with it and don't be afraid to post pics of what you're considering and ask other freek's opinions.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Welcome to WF ..... danger , danger ..... you will be broke in no time .

Reactions: Rodiggs

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Rodiggs, welcome to WF!! I'm a fairly new collector myself; after wearing one watch solely for years, in a year & change I've amassed 17 or 18. There'll always be something shiny to catch your eye. I'm also entranced by automatic watches and there's no shortage of brands and models you can get for under 1K. Your quartz models might become once in a blue moon wears.

My recommendation is start with a couple inexpensive Japanese (Seiko, Orient, Citizen) mechanical models to find out what styles, colors, sizes and complications really interest you. Do plenty of reading and research before pulling the trigger as that's part of the fun of collecting. Once you know what about a watch really turns your crank, maybe move up to some solid Swiss pieces (Tissot, Glycine, Victorinox) that won't break the bank.

"Drop" is a good online place to pick up a quality watch for much cheaper than MSRP as long as you're patient to find what you want. Have fun with it and don't be afraid to post pics of what you're considering and ask other freek's opinions.
Thanks for the advice Dubya. I'll remember when I'm looking. Right now my problem is everything catches my eye. Haha. The watch name isn't as important to me as style and quality, but perhaps quality comes with the name?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Rodiggs, welcome aboard !!! :smileyface_hand_cla

Forza is right, there are so many amazing brands,
and neat small companies. You can't go wrong no
matter where you look. :eek: ..It's just a matter of
learning, and searching out there.

But most importantly having fun, and enjoying
the search !

Think the best thing to say is to go with your
heart, and those amazing Alpinas you mentioned.

Was going to say to look at Seiko, or Citizen,
but it looks like you already have great taste,
and a fleet here above. :) ..Welcome, and enjoy !
Thanks Atomic Tom. I think doing the research and learning more about the watches is just as fun as the search. While I am interested in Brand Name watches, I have no problem with a lesser known brand as long as the quality is there and I like the style.

·
Super Moderator
9,886 Posts
Thanks Atomic Tom. I think doing the research and learning more about the watches is just as fun as the search. While I am interested in Brand Name watches, I have no problem with a lesser known brand as long as the quality is there and I like the style.

Don't mention it Rodiggs, and think you are right on by the way. :thumb:
As long as you like the watch, it doesn't matter what the brand is
right?! ..Could be a brand that no one has ever even seen, and it
would be great !

·
Registered
6 Posts
I love Alpinas. I think they are so underated. Great swiss watch since the 1800s . Love their divers and pilot watches. They look super high end for a great price. I think you will be more than happy with Alpina

1 - 12 of 12 Posts