Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm Brian, and I apparently have OCD... Since I was a kid, if I got ONE of something, I started to collect them; tube radios, matchbook covers, Bibles (yeah, Baptist kid growing up, haha) and, in adulthood, guitars and amps. Believe it or not, it was the Fender Forum that eventually led me here, as a discussion about Automatic watches got me interested in those, leading me to a cheap pawn shop Invicta Grand Diver that I love, and several other low end pieces. I'll never have an Omega Speedmaster or other high end pieces, but I'll keep adding to my very modest collection (just bought one in the For Sale section, actually!) and keep learning from you guys and drooling over your beautiful collections.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Welcome Brian! I'm a bit of a collector too and can appreciate the appeal. So apart from (mostly) dive watches I collect vintage Voigtlander range-finder cameras, books and US flight jackets from the 1938-1959 era (replicas). As you said, there's no need to spend thousands of $$$ on a watch to find something you like.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to your posts.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Hello,

I'm Brian,
Now there's a great name :cool:

I'll never have an Omega Speedmaster or other high end pieces,
Never??????

NEVER say never, Brian--especially when it comes to a Speedy ... or a Planet Ocean ... or a Sub ... or a Daytona ... or a PAM ... or a Black Bay ...

... sorry, got a little distracted there for a moment. That's what happens after you've spent some time here.

Anyway, welcome to the forums!!!!!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Welcome Brian! Yeah, never say never, man. I said I'd never own a Rolex. Now I'm hunting vintage ones just to say I've owned one (albeit, at a much lower price point). But I'm quite happy with my very modest collection. Never let the price of the watch make you feel different about it. Just make sure it was what you wanted when you bought it.

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
Welcome Brian!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Welcome to the forum and the obsession....err...I mean hobby.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome, guys.
Ha, ha, ha, now you love us but after you lost you last penny on watches you'll learn to hate us :D :D :D :D

Reactions: #four

·
Registered
489 Posts
Now there's a great name :cool:

NEVER say never, Brian--especially when it comes to a Speedy ... or a Planet Ocean ... or a Sub ... or a Daytona ... or a PAM ... or a Black Bay ...

... sorry, got a little distracted there for a moment. That's what happens after you've spent some time here.
Words to live by! And yes, welcome to the forums. :)

Reactions: bapackerfan

·
Super Moderator
10,637 Posts
Hey Brian, glad that you found us, and decided
to join up. :smileyface_hand_claLove hearing about your other
interests, and hobbies you are into, and how they
are actually so similar to this hobby. Really is cool ! :cool:
Think you're going to have a great time here Brian.

Enjoy yourself !

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Schundog:
Collecting stuff is AOK
But!!!
In Army Basic we had a kid who collected bottle caps from every bottling
company imaginable. Our D I wan't happy with his foot locker looking so
unmilitary (bottle caps nuther words)
Kid's booties went 3 cents a pound. Army Basic sux like a Hoover vacuum.

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Schundog:
Collecting stuff is AOK
But!!!
In Army Basic we had a kid who collected bottle caps from every bottling
company imaginable. Our D I wan't happy with his foot locker looking so
unmilitary (bottle caps nuther words)
Kid's booties went 3 cents a pound. Army Basic sux like a Hoover vacuum.

Lou Snutt

Thanks again for the welcome, guys! My Drill Sergeant at Ft. Bliss in the summer of 1985 told us "Privates, Basic Training is just Mind Over Matter.... I don't MIND, and YOU don't Matter!"

Another Drill Sergeant dropped me for pushups for some minor infraction, telling me to "Get on down and do pushups until "I" get tired..." and as my arms started to shake like a dog trying to pass a peach pit, I said "Private Schuneman, request permission to recover!" (get up). He drawled, "Nah.... I ain't tired yet....";)

·
Registered
650 Posts
Welcome to the best damn watch forum in the world!

So, you don't think you'll ever own a high-end piece? I made that mistake too. :D In a sea of affordable pieces (Vostok, Seiko, Bulova/Caravelle, Fossil, and a few other brands), I have ONE Rolex. :) High-end watches are nice, but the affordables are where you can really have fun. :D

Welcome aboard!

Reactions: jharvey
1 - 20 of 20 Posts