Watch Freeks banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
5,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi Felix...

I thought maybe you could write a series of articles for the blog on how your design team comes up with new ideas for watch designs. Upon reading only a small portion of the 2009 Watches International Annual, and the Grand Complications Annual....I was wondering what goes into creating a new design. I mean...there are so many watch styles out there right now...it must be very difficult to come up with something that has not already been done.

I know a lot of watch companies do designs based off other watches...which is nice...it gives the average person a chance to own a watch that looks like a high end designer watch. But a truely new design must take a lot of time, research and money to take it from a design concept to a marketable product.

I think all watch lovers would love to read a series of articles that would give us insight into the complete life cycle of the design and manufacturing of a new watch. I personally love it when Larry shows pictures of the design "blue prints" of one of your watches while Jim shows the watch on air. No industry secrets would have to be revealed...just a good straight forward series taking us through the steps of the design of a new watch.

Just a thought...what do you think guys????

·
Premium Member
25,155 Posts
imported post

Well I would love to see the articles you suggest, but I figured I would wait for Felix to reply first. I have not seen him on today and it might be tomorrow before he comes on again!

:)

·
Registered
466 Posts
imported post

Hey guys,

I actually think this is a great idea, but in order for me to find out that sort of information, I'd have to find time with the people who do the actual designs...and they are extremely busy people! You can imagine, since we come out with new watch models every...I don't even know! Rest assured, they're still cranking them out even now! The best I can offer you guys for now is stories behind the inspiration for the names. Larry comes up with the names, and sometimes I help with the process too. Maybe he'll know something about the design aspect. I'll let you guys know as soon as I find out anything.

·
Banned
5,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Felix....

Thanks for the input. I took a lot of drafting when I was in high school, and worked as a graphic designer for a magazine for about 8 years...and know the amount of work that goes into putting a magazine together. I also know the numerous people who all have to be "on the same page" so to speak, to get a magazine done properly and on time. I just enjoy the creative process and think it would be kinda cool to see what really goes into the design process.

Thanks for listening and considering the suggestion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.