Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
If you saw my "Hi" thread, you'll have seen a bit about my watchmaking past and that I was working on something new.

I've got a dilemma, but anyway, here are the renderings that I'm about to pull the trigger on prototyping, basically an evolution of my previous "Bravus Oceanic":

The specs are:

All steel case and strap
Aluminium bezel
Sapphire crystal
Seiko 4R36 auto movement
Super Luminova

The dilemma I have that I have to choose which case style and bracelet.

The "cushion" case is 47mm without crown, the other is 44mm. Both have 22mm lug width.

I don't like "big" watches, but when I was doing this case, I wanted a retro, almost Seiko 6105 vibe. I also think maybe a slightly domed crystal, as the one I installed on my SKX009 transformed it.

"H" link bracelet or the classic oyster?

This watch isn't meant to be a proper divers tool watch. It's a mish-mash of what I like about the divers I own.

The 200m water resistance will be real, but in reality to a casual buyer it means it's safe to swim in and wear on the beach.

I just wanted to do a rugged watch that would go with anything.

I will also do a colour matching silicone strap with deployment clasp in the package. Apart from the clasp, this will be off the shelf as the molds for the case and "H" strap will cost enough...

Aiming to sell for about $299 all in.

I've been told you guys will be brutally honest. If you make me cry, I'll make a 52mm case and make it out of brass :grin:

Oh, and they won't be called "everblue" anymore as the wife said you can't have a black watch called that...even though it was a reference to the sea itself, just haven't got around to rendering a different name on the face.

Cheers

T

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I posted on a couple of other forums I'm a member of.

What I didn't take in to account is the Seiko re-issues next year.

Think that kind of kills the cushion case off in my mind, so let's concentrate on the 44mm case.

And yeah, I will look at the hands.

T

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, nice designs.
I like the first two designs, I like all that "retro" thing and that sort of rounded shape is a killer. Keep up with the good work. Best of lucks.:smile:

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
I like both, but whichever you choose I would go with the H link bracelet. Oyster is overdone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
776 Posts
Love the cushion case-
Rather than a curved end link at the case, how about a flat edge for the case and end link? That could lend itself to a mesh option or rubber strap, and would also save you on manufacturing since it is easier to pull off.

Sort of like the Armida A7

Or the Prometheus Piranha

Reactions: arogle1stus

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Looks pretty good. The handset I'm not a fan of but everything else looks pretty good. The cushion case is very DOXA-ish which I like. If you put the oyster on the cushion case it would look close to the 300 tgraph (minus the Chrono) which I like a lot.

·
Registered
489 Posts
The first two looks beautiful IMHO. Love the shape and the bracelet design. Bezel pips could be shorter and centered to make it different from all the other bezel designs out in the market today. The hands look good as they are as well.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
1) I like the look of both case designs
2) I like either bracelet. Both are fine with me
3) 47mm is WAY to large for my personal tastes. 44mm works
4) like the day/date showing
5) like the crown placement
6) I do not like the current proposed hour/minute hands. Not sure why, but to me they don't look right for these watches. JMHO

·
Registered
99 Posts
I prefer the cushion style case but I can't pull off 47mm. The lug to lug will be too long for my skinny wrists. Agreed - 44 is manageable. I also prefer the H link bracelet. The hands... not good. I think it needs something to set it apart. Personally, I prefer dart indices but that's my taste.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The market is saturated with cheaply made Chinese dive watches already. Got anything more creative, innovative, and original?

I agree, that's why the quality will be better than the price point hints at.
As Clive Sinclair said in "Micro Men" : "Innovation can't be paid for in Green Shield stamps"
I have innovative ideas, but not the budget, this watch is designed to appeal to as many as possible. Launch the brand so to speak.
Once the brand is known, then less resource will be used in marketing and more on something special.

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
47mm is too big for either style cases IMO. 44mm is perfect.
The handset is a little "too Seiko" for this watch I think, especially with the new Seiko 6309 homage coming out.
I like the dial and indices. I am assuming from the pics that they are raised with chrome borders?
H-Link is the way to go with the bracelet, because like Don said, oyster is overdone.
I also like a big domed sapphire crystal.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
47mm is too big for either style cases IMO. 44mm is perfect.
The handset is a little "too Seiko" for this watch I think, especially with the new Seiko 6309 homage coming out.
I like the dial and indices. I am assuming from the pics that they are raised with chrome borders?
H-Link is the way to go with the bracelet, because like Don said, oyster is overdone.
I also like a big domed sapphire crystal.

Yeah. I'm going to do the 44 case.
The hands are straight from the skx, but they will be replaced with something longer and simpler.
The red symbol is going off the face.
The new indices are applied silver with superluminova in it.
The incidental markings on the bezel will be shortened.
It will have a slightly domed sapphire.

This is the culmination of the main sticking points of the feedback I've had across several forums.

Now to get rendering...

Seriously gents, thanks for all the feedback.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am not referring to the color of the lume. I meant the round shaped lume. Arabic letters or sticks shape lumes are more modern.
Further info: what you are referring to are the "indices" - the marks that indicate the hour points on the face. While "lume" refers to the applied substance that makes the hands, indices, etc. glow in the dark.

·
Banned
754 Posts
I love them. I want them. Only if both are 44mm. Love the touch of red.

I'd need one but prefer to spend an extra $50 + or - on a ceramic bezel, if that's a possibility. I like these more than the 6309-7040 reissues coming out soon and more than the Dagaz Tsunami for 1/2 the $. Huge bang for buck. H-Link is cool, happy with either bracelet.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I like these more than the 6309-7040 reissues coming out soon and more than the Dagaz Tsunami for 1/2 the $.
Thanks for saying that Luis. That's the bit that isn't clear right now and that I can't prove.

But the thing is that the manufacturer is a company that was a minnow when I first got my "Bravus" watches made by them over 10 years ago.
I have kept in touch with the MD. They now make many well known brands, that I can't mention.
You won't find them on Alibaba / GlobalSources, as they don't need to advertise for work.

We're working together due to our history and friendship.

In all honesty, if these were sent to Switzerland for finishing and had a Ronda /eta movement put in them, the quality would dictate a price of triple what I aim to sell them for.

I am a successful man. I have a great job and a comfortable life. This is a passion. I want to get the watches out there, talked about and the brand established before I start thinking about profits.

That is the aim of the watch. Derivative, yes. Original, not totally. But neither is a good steak with a baked potato for $5...but if done well, it's sort of universal. It will appeal to many.

That is the aim of this watch.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts