Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi everyone!

Was recently invited to New York City to see the new Stuhrling lineup, and so upon returning from the trip I'd thought I'd share some of what I've learned with you.

First of all, I will say that the new lineup is very strong; frankly I think it's some of the best work I've seen since the early 2000's. Bigger more complex cases, and Stuhrling has again brought to the forefront one of the attributes I most admired in the earlier series, which is detailed dials, be it guilloche concept or otherwise. Stuhrling is betting that the collector public is going to love the new lineup (and having seen just some of it I can say they are likely right) and to that end they've just begun expansion into a new massive facility estimated at fifteen times they size of their current one.

Movements have moved up a notch as well, including the T word. Yes, a tourbillon is coming and will be here very soon, possibly in as little as two weeks! Some of you may recall that Stuhrling was the first brand to bring a tourbillon to television, which if memory serves debuted sometime in 02 or 03. It was priced at around 11k for the steel and 16k for the 18k gold example. I was not allowed to photograph this latest tourbillon (though am told that pics will be forthcoming and will of course share those as am able) but I can tell you that you all will very likely covet one, and on at least four fronts.
- the style takes inspiration from classic pristine elegance (picture Breguet or Lange), only constructed on a larger scale.
- this is not just another Asian tourbillon: in fact the construction of this one was overseen by the legend himself George J. Von Burg, and believe me it shows, as you will soon see.
- it will be produced in a minute limited edition, likely no more than 100.
- the price has not been finalized, but was told that it could well be made available under 1000, which given the Von Burg association is of course remarkable.

Will post more when I know more, but can assure you this is an offer to be seriously considered.

Another watch pending release is the Stuhrling Grandeur. As many of you may know, this is the latest incarnation of a series that began in early 2004, based on the elegant concept of applying a pocket watch concept to a wristwatch.
This latest release has several major features going for it.
- largest case to date, all while maintaining elegance.
- wonderfully detailed skeletonized movement.
- the movement is suspended inside the case with space around the perimeter, which creates a floating movement look and further adds to the skeletonization effect.
- Arguably one of the most key features, this is a twin barrel movement, which means that there are two mainsprings driving the assembly! Due to the skeletonization you can actually watch the first barrel wind tension into the second; very cool.
- The price will make this very obtainable, in stark contrast to the stratospheric cost of most multiple barrel offerings on the market.

Stuhrling was kind enough to supply me with the following images, which I hope you enjoy.

Of course whenever in NYC am thrilled to be able to visit a vault which, to say the least, is dream watch heaven. This time around I got to tour through an astonishing assortment of A. Lange, Glashutte, Jaeger LeCoultre, Cvstos, among others. Among the highlights was test driving an Audemars Piguet tourbillon going for 240,000 dollars (sorry, no pics allowed of that one), as well as the new Tag Heuer mechanical automatic chronograph featuring a custom bar that slides around the outer track and calculates the timed event to the 10th of a second after the timing is completed. This one is in the 9000 dollar range.
A personal highlight for me was the following, which I was allowed to photograph (sorry bout the quality, but it was cell phone or nothing). This A. Lange platinum example features an absolutely exquisite split second chronograph. The movement facilitating this is touted as the finest movement in current production from any brand. Obviously the debate as to who ultimately makes the finest in any category will rage to infinity, but there is no doubt upon examination that this will be a very very serious contender. "Wow" doesn't begin to describe it. I believe it is currently in the 130,000 dollar bracket.

- Now no pictures of this next one, but it was certainly the talk of the day. Jaeger LeCoultre has built what they believe to be the most complex watch in existence. It has pretty much every complication you can think of and probably a few that you haven't, including both a grande and petite repeater chime system that replicates the Westminster chimes. It ships with two additional tourbillon watches (yes, really) one being a Reverso. This offering will also likely hold the record for presentation, as it ships in a custom built 3000 lb safe! In addition to holding the three timepieces there is room for approximately another 40. The safe is equipped with a custom executed audio system that affords the owner the ability to enjoy the sound of the minute repeating complication even when the vault is sealed. Price? A mere 2.7 million dollars. Am told they will only make 30.

I look forward to sharing more about the new Stuhrling line as I am able. The next show will be in the latter part of November, and will include a ShopNBC "Our Top Value" on a set of skeleton mechanical automatics that will blow you away; details to follow!

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
imported post

Thanks for sharing Tim. Sounds pretty darn cool.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I think you'll really like the new stuff.. excellent designs and I think the pricing should be quite strong; tourbillon case in point

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

Tim, I am not sure if you if you saw my threads here and on WG today about the Stuhrling I got today - but it is awesome. i am very interested in the new designs and really appreciate the update you posted. Thank you!

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

Tim . . . what was the name of Stuhrling's first model that you sold "us", back when they first came to ShopNBC? I bought one.

Thanks!

Rose gold case, skeletonized dial, 3 sub dials, 20-Jewel Lexus movement, and you needed the little "tool" to press the buttons to adjust the date, day, etc. It came in a standard size watch box, not the long boxes like today. You stated that it was released to ShopNBC but not available elsewhere. I never saw it again.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
imported post

TIM, Can you start doing ALL The watch shows???? That would be a relief.....seriously not slamming anyone but i like the matter of fact way you handle yourself without all the weirdness etc, of the Other host,,,,,

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I very much appreciate the compliment, but am certainly not in a position to take over all the slots of a watch show slated for further expansion in the near future!

ericf4 wrote:
TIM, Can you start doing ALL The watch shows???? That would be a relief.....seriously not slamming anyone but i like the matter of fact way you handle yourself without all the weirdness etc, of the Other host,,,,,

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

am sorry I do not recall the name, but the fact that they never showed elsewhere proves that I was at least right about that :)

personally I regret never snagging one of their early regulators

CurrentTime wrote:
Tim . . . what was the name of Stuhrling's first model that you sold "us", back when they first came to ShopNBC? I bought one.

Thanks!

Rose gold case, skeletonized dial, 3 sub dials, 20-Jewel Lexus movement, and you needed the little "tool" to press the buttons to adjust the date, day, etc. It came in a standard size watch box, not the long boxes like today. You stated that it was released to ShopNBC but not available elsewhere. I never saw it again.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

hi! I don't think I've seen your posting as yet, but very cool about the new watch! I think you'll be very happy with the new stuff!

TVDinner wrote:
Tim, I am not sure if you if you saw my threads here and on WG today about the Stuhrling I got today - but it is awesome. i am very interested in the new designs and really appreciate the update you posted. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

Tim Temple wrote:
hi! I don't think I've seen your posting as yet, but very cool about the new watch! I think you'll be very happy with the new stuff!

TVDinner wrote:
check out http://www.watchfreeks.com/view_topic.php?id=1540&forum_id=32

super hot watch!!!

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

moved to new Stuhrling section and made a sticky thread.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
imported post

Great post, Tim! I look forward to seeing some of your shows with Lior or whomever can bring in some more exotic Swiss brands and the upcoming shows with Larry where perhaps the Tourby can be shown.

I may need more than 6 Value Pays if you manage to score the A. Lange, however...

Thanks again for posting!

David

·
Registered
10,288 Posts
imported post

That new time piece has the "Wow Factor"!!! I'm assuming that it is the successor to the original "Emporer". You said "largest case to date". What is the new size?? Is it coming out in rosetone as well? One "Bad To The Bone" time piece!!! JMO!!!

Thanks for the preview Tim!!

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

Thanks for responding, Tim!

I regret not only keeping that original Stuhrling (I do believe it was the first model made available), but as you write . . . there are several early models that I regret not getting my hands onto. :)

Have a great day! :)

Tim Temple wrote:
am sorry I do not recall the name, but the fact that they never showed elsewhere proves that I was at least right about that :)

personally I regret never snagging one of their early regulators

CurrentTime wrote:

Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

am sure rose will happen, but in the initial release they only showed me yellow and white. I don't know the exact mm; my guess is around a 48mm or so, but could be off on that. I think this one is an excellent choice!

arnie11 wrote:
That new time piece has the "Wow Factor"!!! I'm assuming that it is the successor to the original "Emporer". You said "largest case to date". What is the new size?? Is it coming out in rosetone as well? One "Bad To The Bone" time piece!!! JMO!!!

Thanks for the preview Tim!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts