Watch Freeks banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The OEM strap on my KonTiki Date is very nice. It's genuine gator, thick, and a dark brown with matching x-stitching that gives it a unique appearance. Although I like it and it complements the watch, the dark color makes the grain less visible and I'm considering alternatives to change the look. So far, I've found 4 Hirsch straps as candidates and would appreciate hearing your opinions and thoughts, especially if you've owned any of them. I'm also open to any suggestions you might have for other options. The dial is more of a very light cream color than pure white and strap size is 22/20. Strap photos were borrowed from the web.

KonTiki Date on OEM Strap

Rivetta Gold Brown

Rivetta Brown

Modena Honey Tan

Modena Gold Brown

·
Registered
804 Posts
I personally prefer tan/honey colors.
Not sure why they are just more appealing to me.
I don't think you can go wrong here though considering the watch will look great on any of those : )

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I would go with the Rivetta Gold brown... But as n80leather said you can't go wrong with either.
Remember you are the one who would be wearing the watch so go with the one which you think with suit best with the watch.

Reactions: Topspin917

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
the paler the tan the more retro the look IMHO-

MHO would skip the white stitches-

FINAL WORD- my comments are just nits and may be motivated by subconscious jealousy-

ETERNA KON TIKI ScottyB fave-

TRIVIA- all sport watches made by ETERNA bear the appalachin KON-TIKI

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the paler the tan the more retro the look IMHO-

MHO would skip the white stitches-

FINAL WORD- my comments are just nits and may be motivated by subconscious jealousy-

ETERNA KON TIKI ScottyB fave-

TRIVIA- all sport watches made by ETERNA bear the appalachin KON-TIKI

Good trivia info Scotty and I appreciate your opinion on the white stitching.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I defiantly agree with Scotty on losing the white thread. Matching thread is just a classier option in my opinion. These pictures may help illustrate?!?....

I had consciously chosen straps with the contrast white stitching as being a little more sporty but I'll have to look at some with matching stitching based on your and Scotty's thoughts. That's why I asked for opinions. The color of the gator strap on the Speedy in your photo is just about perfect.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I had consciously chosen straps with the contrast white stitching as being a little more sporty but I'll have to look at some with matching stitching based on your and Scotty's thoughts. That's why I asked for opinions. The color of the gator strap on the Speedy in your photo is just about perfect.
That color is "natural" meaning it has no dye. It's from a gator belly and has been bark tanned. That's what gives it the color. It does have a "vintage" apeal your not going to get from commercially availible straps.

Lol, and don't let us change your mind. I've owned hundreds of straps and know contrasting thread is just not for me. There's absolutly nothing wrong with it. Just is what my senses are drawn to.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
That color is "natural" meaning it has no dye. It's from a gator belly and has been bark tanned. That's what gives it the color. It does have a "vintage" apeal your not going to get from commercially availible straps.

Lol, and don't let us change your mind. I've owned hundreds of straps and know contrasting thread is just not for me. There's absolutly nothing wrong with it. Just is what my senses are drawn to.
the ETK is special...tips the scale on the dress side of dress/sport...while at the same time conjuring THOR HEYRDAHL's epic re-creation voyage...that's why i liked the "matching" stitch -

as i learned from ANDERS @ BLACK FOREST ATTELIER...the belly of the gator is softer/more pliable...the HORNBACK is more VISUALLY IMPRESSIVE and not as soft as the belly-

any choice will be gorgeous...including the OEM...( which i would keep cherry and un rubbed against the epidermal layer for a possible flip)

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the ETK is special...tips the scale on the dress side of dress/sport...while at the same time conjuring THOR HEYRDAHL's epic re-creation voyage...that's why i liked the "matching" stitch -

as i learned from ANDERS @ BLACK FOREST ATTELIER...the belly of the gator is softer/more pliable...the HORNBACK is more VISUALLY IMPRESSIVE and not as soft as the belly-

any choice will be gorgeous...including the OEM...( which i would keep cherry and un rubbed against the epidermal layer for a possible flip)
You're absolutely right about matching stitching being a better and dressier choice than the white contrast. Don't know if I'd ever sell the KonTiki but I guess never say never!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts