Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has everyone had time to check out these new Seiko Prospex Diver Scuba Giugiaro Design Limited Editions?

The watches look to honor to the original plastic shrouded Seiko Giugaro Scuba watches from years back. With just some of the details including a plastic shrouded 43.8mm stainless steel case, 200 meter water resistance, domed sapphire crystal, diver's bezels, anti-magnetic resistance, both blue, and gold dials with LumiBrite hands, and markers, Seiko Quartz 7N36, sporty strap, and more guys.

Check them out...

OceanicTime's, and A Blog to Watch's links...

http://oceanictime.blogspot.com/2017/04/seiko-prospex-diver-scuba-limited.html

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/seiko-prospex-diver-scuba-sbee001-sbee002-giugiaro-design-limited-edition-watches/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Ablogtowatch+%28ABLOGTOWATCH%29

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
No, no, NO! The off set strap makes that watch an abomination, especially if you wear your watch on your right wrist like I do.

Like the dial and bezel though. The gold tone with a yellow dial is very interesting, never seen that combination before.

I love how they don't show any wrist shots, maybe because it would look even goofier on a wrist then it does stand alone.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Good grief no that's just odd.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
WFs:
Chazzman showed m the errors of my ways.
Have no idea why I didn't notice what he so
aptly pointed out. Off set strap!!! Ruins the
presence of the watch IMO. Seiko or ney!
Who designed this watch Rube Goldberg wacky
Concepts Inc?
Momma don't allow no off set watches round
here.

Loose Nutt

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
The off centerness is for comfortable use with diving gloves.

It's actually designed for function.
I seriously doubt any diver who would be diving where he had to wear diving gloves, would ever have this watch on his wrist, he would have a dive computer.

This goes along the hype trail of the 3,000 meter, Helium Escape valve marketing, lure in the desk divers, the ones' who will never go deeper then the bottom of an 8ft pool. LOL

·
Registered
677 Posts
I seriously doubt any diver who would be diving where he had to wear diving gloves, would ever have this watch on his wrist, he would have a dive computer.

This goes along the hype trail of the 3,000 meter, Helium Escape valve marketing, lure in the desk divers, the ones' who will never go deeper then the bottom of an 8ft pool. LOL
I understand what you’re saying, but realistically the ocean is full of sharp and bitey things and gloves are worn even when just snorkelling. A case/strap design that allows for them is far more practical and functional than HEVs or absurd depth ratings. It’s not apples to apples.

All dive watches are technically fashion items for the reason you’ve said. Real diving is done with a computer. But if you start getting rid of watch styles because of their actual real world usefulness you would say goodbye to most if not all popular designs and certainly mechanicals. Say goodbye to divers, aviators and chronographs just as a start.

The watch world has very little to do with functionality or real world use.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
but realistically the ocean is full of sharp and bitey things and gloves are worn even when just snorkelling
I hear ya, last time I went snorkeling in the ocean (about 20 years ago) I tangled with some Portuguese Man-O-Wars, end up looking like I was flogged with a Cat-O-Nine Tails. Didnt touch my hands though.

The watch world has very little to do with functionality or real world use.
I agree wholeheartedly on that one, although when the superfolous junk makes the watch more uncomfortable to wear (ie, Thick cases, undue weight, etc) I opt out on them.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm more focusing on the lego looking casing. Just not a fan. screams "try hard" on many levels.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm in the minority. I actually like the off set strap, very unique. What I don't care for is the cheap looking plastic shroud with the dots.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm in the minority. I actually like the off set strap, very unique. What I don't care for is the cheap looking plastic shroud with the dots.
The "lego" shroud. Agreed. While not a fan of the offset strap, I can appreciate the uniqueness.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts