Watch Freeks banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fellow Watch Freeks,
Just read that SBDX001 is now discontinued and the new 300MM model is available (SBDX017)!
What is everyone's opinion on the new model vs. the previous?
Should one snatch up SBDX001 before it is no longer available? (Online retailer have already started to raise their prices)
Or is the new one better?
Thanks

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
The lume is supposedly a bit brighter on the new model, plus the movement parts are advertised to have MEMS technology (see below), as well as the new Prospex etched crown. Otherwise it is the same watch. Since i have the SBDX001, I can't see any reason for wanting the 017, plus the 001's will cost less and are pretty abundant on the second hand market.

"MEMS technology is a skill transferred to Grand Seiko from Seiko's semi-conductor making division. A part made by MEMS is more durable than a machined part, and it is more resistant to abrasion. SEIKO's MEMS technology delivers precision in manufacturing 2 to 5 times greater than any machining process on Earth."

·
Registered
618 Posts
The lume is supposedly a bit brighter on the new model, plus the movement parts are advertised to have MEMS technology (see below), as well as the new Prospex etched crown. Otherwise it is the same watch. Since i have the SBDX001, I can't see any reason for wanting the 017, plus the 001's will cost less and are pretty abundant on the second hand market.

"MEMS technology is a skill transferred to Grand Seiko from Seiko's semi-conductor making division. A part made by MEMS is more durable than a machined part, and it is more resistant to abrasion. SEIKO's MEMS technology delivers precision in manufacturing 2 to 5 times greater than any machining process on Earth."
I checked Seija's site. Still advertised as using the 8L35, and it looks unregulated based on the quoted Accuracy: +15/-10 sec per day.

I don't think accuracy on the 8L35 was a huge issue, not that I've done the statistical analysis of a large sample ;)
I think Diashield makes more of a difference with a softer metal like Ti, with SS I've never really worried about marking it up.

Overall, I'd get a used 001.

FWIW, I recently did something similar with a Tuna. The new ones are nice, have 'improved' hands, better lume, different colours. But I got a smoking deal on a used but perfect condition 017.

Of course, YMMV. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
I checked Seija's site. Still advertised as using the 8L35, and it looks unregulated based on the quoted Accuracy: +15/-10 sec per day.
Yep, same movement, and rumor has it that the later produced SBDX001's had MEMS 8L35 movements in them as well, though there is really no way to check. My MM300 is a pretty consistent +3 seconds/day fast on the wrist so I have no complaints whatsoever.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Yep, same movement, and rumor has it that the later produced SBDX001's had MEMS 8L35 movements in them as well, though there is really no way to check. My MM300 is a pretty consistent +3 seconds/day fast on the wrist so I have no complaints whatsoever.
Good to hear, thanks for adding that detail!

I often wonder how much difference those acronym type items add. For instance, if the service interval doubled (ala Rolex) then I'd say "hey, that's great, that makes a real impact!"

Without that, I wonder how much is marketing vs a real significant improvement noticeable to the end user :)

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Good to hear, thanks for adding that detail!

I often wonder how much difference those acronym type items add. For instance, if the service interval doubled (ala Rolex) then I'd say "hey, that's great, that makes a real impact!"

Without that, I wonder how much is marketing vs a real significant improvement noticeable to the end user :)
That is a great point, and kinda hard to quantify. I've always been in the camp of not servicing until it is needed rather than a set time (like every 7 years or whatever). Since even top tier watches have unforeseen issues that can pop up before a scheduled service time, I'm not sure how you could compare the two.
Either way, MEMS technology in 2015 forward Grand Seiko and some Prospex models is a big deal that will likely go unnoticed to most people.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is a great point, and kinda hard to quantify. I've always been in the camp of not servicing until it is needed rather than a set time (like every 7 years or whatever). Since even top tier watches have unforeseen issues that can pop up before a scheduled service time, I'm not sure how you could compare the two.
Either way, MEMS technology in 2015 forward Grand Seiko and some Prospex models is a big deal that will likely go unnoticed to most people.
How easy is it to service a 300MM considering there is no case back?
Do one have to courier it to Seiko?

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
How easy is it to service a 300MM considering there is no case back?
Do one have to courier it to Seiko?
The movement actually comes out fairly easily through the crystal, and I know Jack at IWW works on them. It is the same process to remove the crystal and movement on all the Seiko monoblock cases (like the 600 & 1000 meter Tunas). I'm not sure I would do it myself, but it is pretty straightforward.

Here is a link with pics on the process: http://seikoholics.yuku.com/topic/152

·
Registered
35 Posts
Prefer the 001 which can be bought used for good prices at the moment.

Don´t like the x on the crown. Never understand why Seiko didn´t sign it with the lovely Seiko S.

Martin

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Prefer the 001 which can be bought used for good prices at the moment.

Don´t like the x on the crown. Never understand why Seiko didn´t sign it with the lovely Seiko S.

Martin
Ditto. I loved the signed "S" crowns like on the Sumo, and am not a big fan of the etched Prospex logo. I always found it strange the SBDX001 did not have a signed crown at all.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The advantages of MEMS are mainly apparent in hi-beat (36,000) movements.

PS: we can service and repair all Seiko movements, including 8L35.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts