Watch Freeks banner

New Poll: How many watches do you own?

6K views 28 replies 23 participants last post by  LarryB 
#1 ·
imported post

I'll come up with a poll for the Forum at some point. Until then, your votes count! Feel free to share stories about your first and latest watch here!
http://stuhrlingoriginal.wordpress.com/

#2 ·
imported post

I have approximately 35 watches total right now...but I think my parents have 3 or 4 of mine back home too. My first watch was the one that got me started....a 1940's Gruen Automatic that my grandpa gave me a few weeks before he passed. My mom has it right now...as it is the only tangible thing of his she has. I became fascinated with watches at that time...I was only 8 years old then.
My latest purchase is a Croton Super C with the cool dial...I got one that has the blue threads running through the dial.

I also got a friend an Invicta Sports Quartz 3 hand leather strap watch in black and gold for Christmas...am waiting for the shop to get it here!! He is a good friend of mine and was permanently disabled in a car accident a couple of years ago. He has had a really tough time...a lot of surgery on his neck and back...and can't work or hardly do anything. He was admiring my Lupah Diver Friday night...and I decided then to get him a nice big watch he could wear all the time.

#3 ·
imported post

50 watches currently in my possession. Started with a Seiko quartz quite a while ago and didn`t really start collecting until about 3 years ago after watching ShopNBC one night. Collection pretty mixed now with even mixture of Invicta, Renato, & Stuhrling timepieces for the most part . Then have smaller quantities of other brands. Most recent in bound timepiece is an NFW Auto-Pilot chronograph to match my NFW Auto-Pilot automatic. I have also passed on watch collection bug to one of my sons....between he & his wife they have another 30 or so watches.

#5 ·
imported post

I think that your poll needs more choices for this group. I'll bet most of us are 5+ watches. Currently at 18.

#13 ·
imported post

Felix wrote:
I think you guys are right...I should really modify that poll to accommodate for the numbers I'm seeing here! Wow...you really are watch fanatics! I feel a little left out with my 2 lol
Felix - you probably have DOUBLE the amount of watches that most people on the planet have - which is 1 (one), lol.

But there are the people like us - the watch freeks, that love the variety and need more then 1.

So you are doing pretty well with double the amount of watches that most of the population has, lol

#16 ·
imported post

Felix...If you are looking for a good pocket watch...and you want a new one...you can check your own company's stock for one. SO makes some of the nicest pocket watches on the market for the price. I like the one that has the moon phase complication...very nice and classy. The Skeletonized movement one Larry had on Shopnbc a while back is flat out beautiful....really a super looking pocket watch.

If you are wanting to spend more for an antique...well...the sky is the limit for how much you can pay for a really nice vintage pocket watch. I like the Illinois pocket watches myself...also Elgin, Waltham, and Seth Thomas...all made nice pocketwatches. I prefer a Minute Repeater....but you are talking big bucks for a vintage repeater...think of mid $4K and up.

#22 ·
imported post

205 in my sales rotation as of Sunday, 95 in my personal no sale rotation and maybe 100 vintage watches that I tinker with when I have the time. Have found some real jewels in the past six months. I will post some pictures of some of the odd ones. I have one vintage that is double crystal. Oil in between the two crystal with watch parts floating around the dial. Too cool. Carl

#23 ·
imported post

Ok. I'm gonna indulge that I have 200 + watches. Used to have over 300, but I've sold many on "the bay" and gifted others. The ones that I sold were pretty much low enders, but nice pieces even though they were not costly.

I have made my New Year's resolution to stop being so impulsive and to curb my addiction dramatically. Only a few watches for 2010, but ones that are somewhat finer pieces...... i.e. Another version of the "Emporer or Grandeur (hint, hint) and the Viperfish, maybe an Oris 51mm! As for the ones that I have? Can't make any money on them, love them, so I will keep them, gifting occassionally. I'd rather do that than sell a watch at a significant loss.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.