Watch Freeks banner

To protect my computers, my data, and my self when I set my network up, I::

• Set my router/modem to a static address that was anything other than 162.198.0.1 and/or 162.198.1.1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Set mt SID to broadcast

• Set My SID to no-broadcast

• Used at least 18 gauge wire

• Used a subnet mssk of 255.255.255.254

• Knew better than to use a sub-net mask

• Practiced a a religious ceremony every hour

• Actually read the manual the night before

• Hoped the computer wiz kid from across from across the street would get home from school soon

• Had a stiff drink

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Your wireless Network is probably THE most dangerous part of your computer setup, it doesn't have to be.... Let's find out how you compare. We are going to conduct a poll for a few days, then when we reach a specific number (known only to me) of responses the poll will and, to be wrapped up with a "Practicing Safe Computing, things to remember when installing, tuning and securing your wireless home network -or - the safest network ADAPTER is the one that isn't plugged in.".

·
Registered
185 Posts
imported post

I use a D-Link Wireless N Router and Wireless N PCI slot Wireless Network card in our desktop. The router instruction manual walks you step-by-step through generating and using a random password. Windows 7 makes it a lot easier to secure your router connections.

My laptop is on a desk next to the modem and router and is directly connected to the router.

If your network isn't secured, you are providing free internet service to neighbors close enough to log on and the computer geek across the street access to all your files.

Regardless of the type of connection you use, you should still have AV software always running, update it at least once daily and run a scan before shutting down the computer.

I disconnect both computers from the network when we are done using them for the day. That way nobody/nothing can get to your files if the AV scan is running when you go to bed and the computer is on.

Buy a portable USB hard drive and use its backup software to create a disk image and incremental backups daily. Give up one $130. or so watch or Value Pay for the backup drive. I like the software that comes with the Toshiba drive best. Your backup can run at the same time the AV scan is running. You won't be sorry!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

bump

·
Registered
241 Posts
imported post

To broadcast the SID or not is Not securing anything.

To be secure you need to employ WPA aor WPA2 encryption. No one can accesss your router without the password you setup after employing WPA.

I can see 10 routers close to me, but can't accesss any of them, because I helped the owners turn on WPA. Some are using WEP cause they only have B networks, not the most secure but better than nothing.

And yes, when I am away from home with my laptop, I routinely jump on unsecured networks.

·
Banned
5,876 Posts
imported post

Uhhh...don't know....

That's why I came here. Wife wants to go wireless. Had my apartment set up for wireless...but ATT set up the whole thing. Now...we have Comcast cable network...but we just got a new laptop that has wireless built in, and wife wants me to get a wireless router...which Comcast says is easy to hook up with their system...

OKay....which way should I go???? Any hints on which router to get???

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Bichondaddy wrote:
Uhhh...don't know....

That's why I came here. Wife wants to go wireless. Had my apartment set up for wireless...but ATT set up the whole thing. Now...we have Comcast cable network...but we just got a new laptop that has wireless built in, and wife wants me to get a wireless router...which Comcast says is easy to hook up with their system...

When set up properly , wireless is the way to go when you don't want the trouble of running wires. If you have no problem with cables run the cables, the link is faster, more reliable , and secure Any of the Brand name routers work fine and are easy to set up. I personally use a D-Link 802.11n. To make your Wireless Network as secure as possible here are a few things you can do:

*Never broadcast your SID - The setting is in the router configuration if hackers can't "see" your network they won't know it even exists therefore they will most likely not attempt to break into your net. Think of this as stealth mode security

*Always change the network address for the router - for example the router default setting is 192.168.0.1 for many manufacturers and that would be the first place a hacker will start a network probe, so change it to 192.X.X. X or 10.X.X.X where x = any number from 1 to 254

* Always change the id and password for the router maintenance login

*Use the strongest possible security mode currently WPA-2 PERSONAL is the strongest consumer level available. Unfortunately give the proper tool the code root (pass phrase) can be broken in under 3 minutes, however, coupled with not broadcasting your SID you will have a fairly secure system. and NEVER use an "open" security mode. .

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

DingBat wrote:
To broadcast the SID or not is Not securing anything.

To be secure you need to employ WPA aor WPA2 encryption. No one can accesss your router without the password you setup after employing WPA.

I can see 10 routers close to me, but can't accesss any of them, because I helped the owners turn on WPA. Some are using WEP cause they only have B networks, not the most secure but better than nothing.

And yes, when I am away from home with my laptop, I routinely jump on unsecured networks.
This is a matter of semantics, if you are invisible to the outside you become very secure , while this is not an active security think of it as "stealth mode". In the SANS institute competition, WPA tkip mode was "broken" in under 3 minutes, I doubt that your neighborhood is flooded with computer scientists and encryption experts but unfortunately, if you know where to go, the "cracking" software is readily available on the net. As a first line of defense why even advertise the fact that you exist .

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
imported post

I am not sure or understanding the above poll choices. My nephew set up my wireless. Now I know, that I know almost nothing about wireles, I hope my Trend Micro keeps working good. Now it is time for that drink, I am thinking. ....Bob

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

Bob wrote:
I am not sure or understanding the above poll choices. My nephew set up my wireless. Now I know, that I know almost nothing about wireles, I hope my Trend Micro keeps working good. Now it is time for that drink, I am thinking. ....Bob
Aloha Bob;

In your situation, after that evening drink, call or email your nephew, and read/cut and paste my reply to Bicondaddy and ask your nephew if he set it up and included the recommendations in his setup. Now back to that drink :)

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
imported post

maui_freek wrote:
Bob wrote:
Aloha Bob;

In your situation, after that evening drink, call or email your nephew, and read/cut and paste my reply to Bicondaddy and ask your nephew if he set it up and included the recommendations in his setup. Now back to that drink :)
I appreciate your response maui_freek. Thank you very much. ....Bob

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
imported post

i have my wireless network password protected and we change the password monthly.
other then that we use a variety of maleware, spyware, and virus software a few times a week.

·
Banned
5,730 Posts
imported post

Following all the configurations you've mentioned. When that fails Smith and Wesson.
maui_freek wrote:
Bichondaddy wrote:
Uhhh...don't know....

When set up properly , wireless is the way to go when you don't want the trouble of running wires. If you have no problem with cables run the cables, the link is faster, more reliable , and secure Any of the Brand name routers work fine and are easy to set up. I personally use a D-Link 802.11n. To make your Wireless Network as secure as possible here are a few things you can do:

*Never broadcast your SID - The setting is in the router configuration if hackers can't "see" your network they won't know it even exists therefore they will most likely not attempt to break into your net. Think of this as stealth mode security

*Always change the network address for the router - for example the router default setting is 192.168.0.1 for many manufacturers and that would be the first place a hacker will start a network probe, so change it to 192.X.X. X or 10.X.X.X where x = any number from 1 to 254

* Always change the id and password for the router maintenance login

*Use the strongest possible security mode currently WPA-2 PERSONAL is the strongest consumer level available. Unfortunately give the proper tool the code root (pass phrase) can be broken in under 3 minutes, however, coupled with not broadcasting your SID you will have a fairly secure system. and NEVER use an "open" security mode. .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.