Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
Been a long time reader, but I read a thread about people taking info etc and never giving anything back to the community.
It struck a nerve, so I decided to join. Don't know what I can give back as my technical expertise extends to changing batteries and adjusting straps (and even then I have trouble with those damn pin and collar ones) but I'm a friendly guy so, maybe something will come up I can help with, even if it's just (probably bad) advice.

I don't "collect" watches as such, I do wear them all and only buy ones that I want as opposed to "need to have for the collection"...still hasn't stopped me amassing far too many watches.

I also tried my own "Micro Brand" about 10 years ago. It was so micro I did 3 models and then folded, but hey ho, it was all good fun.

I like watches for what they are, ranging from digitals, through cheap Chinese stuff that I can't believe I can buy for £12 new, up to Swiss "big boys". My fave manufacturer is Seiko, but I still think the greatest watch ever made is the Casio F-91W as I like watches for what they are :)

When I've hit 5 posts, I'll share some pics.

Tony

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Cheers guys. My microbrand was called "Bravus".
3 Models existed as prototypes in 2004/5. 20 of each. I've just taken the quick and dirty pics below now. Bear in mind these have been in rotation for the past decade :)

OCEANIC

Wanted a diver, but not a sub clone, had to look a bit different. Designed it with SS everything. Solid end links with screws. Screws in the bracelet. Screwdown crown. 20ATM water resistance. Glass back. Un-decorated 2824 auto (still works great). Wave pattern on the face. Too much writing. The production version would have had them cut down as well as having a red second hand.

SLIPSTREAM

Just loved the Daytona. It was just a clone, but with "upgrades" I would like on a proper Daytona. Date window. Quartz ETA, but the tachmeter works (unlike on most clones, especially the new Speedway) Solid end links with screws. Srewed SS strap. 20ATM water resistance with screwdown crown and chrono pushers.

BARETTA

I like tonneau watches, but thought them all a bit dressy. I wanted to do a "butch" tonneau, almost as if it would be what Breitling made if they did a tonneau. The pics don't show it, but the face is actually deep red MOP and glistens in sunshine. Again ETA quartz powered and all steel with screws. The subdial at 6 was printed wrong.

What happened? Opinions were gathered from the community. Changes made. 3 more designs done...then the people who all approached me to invest suddenly had better things to do.
But, it was great fun for a while and I don't regret it for a minute.

Oh, and this is a pic of my "non collection"

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
Welcome Tony. Glad you joined us!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TonyMaroney

·
Registered
489 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Tony!

That Bravus piece is BEAUTIFUL! Do you have any for sale by any chance?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks bentfish.

Afraid all the Bravuses (Bravii?) went about 10 years ago. Some given away. Some as thanks for feedback. Some to friends. All I have are my 3 and they're going in the box with me :)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Thanks bentfish.

Afraid all the Bravuses (Bravii?) went about 10 years ago. Some given away. Some as thanks for feedback. Some to friends. All I have are my 3 and they're going in the box with me :)
You're welcome. I figured they'd all be gone by now considering it was produced 10 years ago, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Welcome!!! Glad you decided to join!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
650 Posts
Well, if you ever decide to get back into manufacturing these, count me in for the Oceanic and the Slipstream! :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's a dream but unlikely. Recently I was talking to a new business acquaintance who also likes his watches. Several beers later, he asked me to design one more Bravus for his company as a gift for clients. I went back to my oem, but the news was bad. Now they won't do the tooling for less than 500 pieces of the same model. I could look for a smaller oem, but the quality I got from my original one (he did do Bernhardt and he used to do Invicta) means I'd be wary of changing. But never say never...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts