Watch Freeks banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I everyone I'm new to the forum and so have a question regarding my brand new Victorinox Inox.

So to get right to it, the watch I bought brand new (not the display model) so I had to adjust the date and time when I decided to wear it out to work. The crown is a screw in design and was rather tough to unscrew. But what I found was that it was difficult to then screw back, I felt the threads of the crown and where it would screw into sorta rub against each other before catching.

I'm not sure how to describe it but as i tried to screw the crown back down the threads felt like they were running over each other.

I got it eventually but it spooked me a little. I saved up long and hard for this so it's carrying a significant amount of sentimental value. Is this normal for a watch that's brand new (needs to be broken in so to speak) or something I should bring up with the service centre?

Any thoughts be great.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
The INOXs are great watches!!!!! Nice choice!!!!

As for the crown, I wouldn't worry about it, especially since it went all the way back in. And you didn't really crank on it, did you?

Other more knowledgable guys, please correct me if I misspeak, but it sounds like you were merely experiencing what many call a "graininess" when screwing the crown in. I think it's very common in watches that fall below a certain price point.

I'm being very general here: there's always an exception that proves the rule.

The INOX is fabulous, but as it's not a luxury watch, they probably didn't engineer it to ensure the famous "buttery" feel of the screw down crown that you would have on something over the $1,500 or $2,000 mark.

I felt it with my Seiko Solar diver. One thing I did to try to smooth out the graininess was I put less than a drop of hair clipper oil on the end of a toothpick, and I applied the smallest amount of oil to the threads when the crown was all the way out. Just one time, and that seemed to help. We're talking a dollop of oil maybe twice the size of the head of a pin.

But I think it will also naturally get better over time as those threads rub past each other when you bring out the crown for date changes.

Just don't give in to the temptation to keep unscrewing, screwing, unscrewing, screwing trying to check and see if it feels differently each time! If the crown is all the way in, you've got your water resistance, and you can just enjoy your watch until it's time to flip that date.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
A lot of crowns have problems screwing back in, some can be cross threaded and end up stripped. Best way to screw a crown back into a case is to gently press the crown down and turn it counter clockwise until you feel it catch, then screw it counter clockwise till it is modestly tight.

The old Tag Heuer Aquaracers had notoriously finicky crowns that could be easily stripped if you didn't handle them carefully

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
Get some waxed dental floss and floss the threads. Might just need a cleaning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. I ended up taking it back to the retailer and exchanged it for another. In the end it was a small defect as we compared it with the other show models.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Get some waxed dental floss and floss the threads. Might just need a cleaning.
Would I be considered crazy if I said I wax all of my crown threads? I even have a little shaving tool brush that fits perfectly between case and crown that I use to brush the threads before I wax them. Makes even a gritty SKX feel like butter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts